Fuel filling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Here is the link to the class action lawsuit about this. It has pictures of the problem with the angle of the fuel tube that they changed: Class Action Says Defect to Blame for Dodge Ram Refueling Issues

This has been discussed to death on this forum, search "nozzle getting stuck". Mine is a 2018 1500 and the nozzle was getting stuck from the very beginning, and clicking off constantly. I dreaded filling up. Eventually I learned two pumps at my local Arco station would probably not get stuck if I was very careful not to push it in too far, and I always used those.

You need to go to your nearest dealer and insist that they put the updated nozzle in for free. I did about a year or so ago, and have had no problems since. Also much easier to unlock the locking gas cap I put on, because of the shallower angle.

In the beginning some of the service associates were playing dumb, acting like they didn't know it was a problem. Then I got one to actually admit that his was doing the same thing, and that they had sent a mechanic out to a gas station to unstick a nozzle for a lady.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant fuel my truck once it hits -20 or lower

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
YUP, as others have said, it is actually the filler tube and the angle going to tank which then causes venting issues. The part numbers to repair posted above. Since I have a MY 19, no issues, except, honestly, I prefer a gas cap to capless, guess cause I am older, LMAO. NE body remember like the Mustangs and the Mavericks with the gas tanks in the rear center. WAT a MESS they were, LOL. Showing my age.

My Dealer replaced my Filler Tube and it did not fix my slow fill problem. Waiting for Fix #2.

tydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the same problem with having to click over and over at certain pumps. I've found that at Costco if I fill from the opposite side the hose will pull on the nozzle and make a tight seal and I can pump no problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have much of a stuck handle problem, but mine would only take about a bucks worth of fuel before clicking off. No matter how slow I pumped, clicked off as if it were full. I took it to the dealer, said I had 2 different valves that were not working inside the tank. Had to get a new tank and have it installed. Cost me $1058.00 to have that done. They claimed to have been able to put gas in with no problems now, so we'll see once I get close to empty. 2 year warranty on the new parts. Feel like I've been taken advantage of. Ram is only 3 years old with 52K on the clock.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have also experienced this on my 19' Classic Ram. Some pumps it will fill right up and others it clicks off a bunch of times and is very hard to get the tank completely full. I assume it has something to do with the vent on the tank so what I have found works is I don't insert the nozzle fully into the neck and also don't let the pump run at the highest speed and it seems to help

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The gas station nozzle getting stuck in the Rams fuel fill tube
was never an issue until the gas station nozzle makers went from a straight nozzle to a curved nozzle, this was first noticed at Costco stations.

The gas station fuel nozzles design & our Rams not taking gas is another issue completely

The gas station nozzle has a sensor located close to the bottom of it, it is a Pressure Sensor
Well that sensor used to line up almost exactly with the top of the vent tube that is mounted in your Ram Fill tube

One Ram owner brought that fact to Ram engineering about 4 years ago
They moved the top of the vent tube in the truck Fill Neck

The one on the right is the new design
Now the gas station nozzle pressure sensor does not line up with the vent tube opening

gcbm5r.jpg

gKS5u0.jpg

When you take your Ram to the dealership because it will not take gas the way it should.
They first try to put you off, But they will first change out the Rams Fill Tube to better style.
Chances are, that will not fix anything, so eventually they will replace the complete fuel tank & that will likely fix it.

actually if you drop your old gas tank & reset the Tip Over Valves in the top of the gas tank, that would also fix the issue

The reason the tip over valves get tripped is usually because who ever is filling up the gas tank, is Over Filling or Topping off the gas tank
If you continue topping off, you will have to replace your charcoal cannister, because any gas that get into the charcoal cannister breaks down the charcoal & that triggers another device that is mounted above the charcoal cannister & shuts down your Ram.

Quit Topping off the fuel tank for your own good $$$$