Fuel filter replace after 10,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
My fuel filter replace warning message started coming on at 10,000 miles. My dealer said that is "usually" way too early to need fuel filters replaced unless there was contamination. After telling him I've been careful about where I get my fuel he suggested I try resetting the warning light first but I can't find it in any of the menus. can anyone offer any advice on this? It is a 2018 tradesman 6.7.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't offer a lot of advice since I have only changed mine once and it was at around 10k. Seems like the dash still said I had 30ish % left though. But if it was my truck, I would go ahead and change the filters. Too much money in these things to mess around and potential mess something up with engine. If it does it again at 10,000 then you may have an issue. If it goes longer then you know it was just some dirty fuel.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ditto on the fuel filters changed at around 10k. My 2014 dually truck only has 17k miles on it now, but I did replace the fuel filters a little early at 10k miles. We were going on a long vacation and I wasnt sure whether to wait or not. My service adviser at the local dealer tells me to run em down to zero. He is not a big believer in the oil or fuel percentage meters.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
OK, I'm just going to go ahead and have them changed. I don't feel like doing it myself. Where is the most cost efficient place to have it done? Do the dealers tend to stick it to you on the price or can other places do it reliably for less?
EDIT: I just called the dealer and they said the cost to replace both filters is about $420 out the door and about $190 plus tax just to buy the two filters.

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well the filters run like around $100 (dieselfiltersonline.com) for both if you get them online. Seems as if my local dealer would do it for around $200. By the way I strongly recommend you make sure they use mopar filters. There are a lot of cheap look a likes out there that arent the same quality. There is one spin on type filter in the back on the frame rail. And one in the front near the engine.

Lots of u tube videos on how to do it. Really wasnt that big a deal to do it.

81zaz_8iidl._sl1500__1_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Well the filters run like around $100 (dieselfiltersonline.com) for both if you get them online. Seems as if my local dealer would do it for around $200. By the way I strongly recommend you make sure they use mopar filters. There are a lot of cheap look a likes out there that arent the same quality. There is one spin on type filter in the back on the frame rail. And one in the front near the engine.

Lots of u tube videos on how to do it. Really wasnt that big a deal to do it.

81zaz_8iidl._sl1500__1_.jpg
Is that $200 including parts?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine has always been at the ~15K mark when the change message came up (at 60k now). With that said if it came up at 10K I'd change it (and not just reset the message). May have gotten some bad fuel somewhere.

Both filters are $100 on Amazon and I do it myself. DO NOT buy aftermarket filters, stick with the OEM Mopar filters.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
Yes, this is really easy to do. Look up YouTube videos. Make sure you have a 28mm socket and about 12" of ratchet extensuon for the front filter. They come with new o-rings too. For the rear, it will probably be installed a little tight, but get it off with some filter powers and install the new one. Prime the filters (turning accessory button on 4-5 times before starting it, then you'll be done. Then, go to the fuel percentage display and select your right arrow to reset, it will ask if you want to confirm select yes and you're done. Around 30-45 min job for my first time.

As the others stated, stay with Mopar OEM filters. Save your money and do it yourself. The filter changes runs $485 up here.

As for fuel, now I run only power service xtreme diesel
Power service xtreme diesel - https://powerservicextremediesel.com/

You can find your local distributor for your area on their site. The Chevron stations here in Alaska all distribute them. There is a big difference in the way my truck runs with this fuel. Better mileage and quieter especially in the cold.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
OK, I'm just going to go ahead and have them changed. I don't feel like doing it myself. Where is the most cost efficient place to have it done? Do the dealers tend to stick it to you on the price or can other places do it reliably for less?
EDIT: I just called the dealer and they said the cost to replace both filters is about $420 out the door and about $190 plus tax just to buy the two filters.
You can get them on Amazon for $97Screenshot_20200104_093915_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Just to give an update, Got busy had to put this issue aside for a few days while I drove the Jeep. In the meantime I gathered all the parts, and the tools to do the job will be here today. However........just out of curiosity I went out and learned how to do the reset properly and went ahead and reset it. It went to only 99% but I didn't argue with that. I then drove it for 5 miles to see if it would give me the 'replace filters' message again and it did not. Also, the filter life scale did not move even one tick. Its still at 99%. Before I change filters I would really like to find out if there was a glitch in the indicator or if my filters actually are at zero life left as the indicator said before I reset it. Keep in mind that I AM going to change them no matter what, BUT...after what I just said, do you think it is reasonable to drive it a while longer to see if I get the message again or a big drop in the filter life scale?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter life percentage is based of millage and gallons used, the truck has no way of telling how dirty/restricted the filter is. My opinion on changing fuel filters is not to over do it, the more often you change them the higher the chance of introducing contaminates to the system.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
The filter life percentage is based of millage and gallons used, the truck has no way of telling how dirty/restricted the filter is. My opinion on changing fuel filters is not to over do it, the more often you change them the higher the chance of introducing contaminates to the system.
So, is the 'replace fuel filters' light just based on what the percentage gauge is saying? If it is, and there is no way for the truck to detect a dirty filter, then it would seem like my percentage gauge is not accurate since I only have 10,000 miles on the truck.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, is the 'replace fuel filters' light just based on what the percentage gauge is saying? If it is, and there is no way for the truck to detect a dirty filter, then it would seem like my percentage gauge is not accurate since I only have 10,000 miles on the truck.
My change filter light came on just under 13k miles, it was at 0%

Heath Edwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I change my oil and both fuel filters every 10,000 miles if it needs it or not. Usually around 30% life on both monitors left. $155 to do it myself takes about 30 minutes. I get all 3 filters on Amazon for $95 and 3 gallons of oil at Walmart or Autozone for about $20 a gallon. Don’t mess around with maintenance on a diesel. It will cost more if you don’t keep up with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Did they say what gold infused ass lube they were using? $279 here, I still went to the local Big Rig shop and got the Fleetguard(Cummings) filters for $125 for the pair and did it myself.

@15,100 as I pulled into the garage to do the swap <10% on the display
View media item 28443

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well here is a thought the light came on telling you to change the filter,now its in the trucks computer logged in with the mileage.So now if something would go wrong on the motor Ram will ask you if you changed the filters and where is the receipt for them with the date on them. Oem filter and keep the receipt if not brought from your dealer.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I appreciate all the replies. As I said....I will be changing the filters before I drive it again. Th
My change filter light came on just under 13k miles, it was at 0%
OK, So It is simply "X miles" + "X idle hours" = 0% on the percentage meter and nothing else correct? And so the discrepancy between my 10,000 miles and your 13,000 miles would be that I simply had more idle time. Is that it?

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Well here is a thought the light came on telling you to change the filter,now its in the trucks computer logged in with the mileage.So now if something would go wrong on the motor Ram will ask you if you changed the filters and where is the receipt for them with the date on them. Oem filter and keep the receipt if not brought from your dealer.
When the warning light first came on I went straight to the dealer and they said that seemed too soon to do a filter change unless I got some bad fuel. And that statement is what led me to believe that the system senses when the fuel filters become clogged before it is usually time to change them.
I called two different dealerships and they both told me that the system does detect if the filter is dirty regardless of miles or hours on the filters.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mine were changed at intervals of 10,000-12,000 miles... was advised to do so "when the computer indicated", and it worked out to that mileage interval. No problems doing that, and the cost of filter replacement is not all that bad. I have been told the Ram/Cummins has the easiest/neatest fuel filter change of any of them.