Fuel filter replace after 10,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called two different dealerships and they both told me that the system does detect if the filter is dirty regardless of miles or hours on the filters.

I would like an explanation on how the truck can sense filter restriction, because the only pressure sensor in the entire fuel system is on the high pressure fuel rail, and yes, if the filter gets restricted to the point of starving the high pressure fuel pump you will get low fuel rail pressure codes which will turn on the check engine light.

I don't see anything that the ECM could use to determine filter life other than mileage, time, and gallons used

The fuel delivery system is very simple on these trucks, you have the in tank lift pump, which is turned on by the fuel pump relay, controlled by the ECM, there is no feedback for the ECM for motor current or anything else that could be used to estimate filter restriction, the rear filter, has a water in fuel sensor, and a fuel heater, the front filter housing also has a fuel heater, and a water in fuel sensor, thats it.

Last edited:

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like an explanation on how the truck can sense filter restriction, because the only pressure sensor in the entire fuel system is on the high pressure fuel rail, and yes, if the filter gets restricted to the point of starving the high pressure fuel pump you will get low fuel rail pressure codes which will turn on the check engine light.

I don't see anything that the ECM could use to determine filter life other than mileage, time, and gallons used

The fuel delivery system is very simple on these trucks, you have the in tank lift pump, which is turned on by the fuel pump relay, controlled by the ECM, there is no feedback for the ECM for motor current or anything else that could be used to estimate filter restriction, the rear filter, has a water in fuel sensor, and a fuel heater, the front filter housing also has a fuel heater, and a water in fuel sensor, thats it.

How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? - It just does. - It just does.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Mine were changed at intervals of 10,000-12,000 miles... was advised to do so "when the computer indicated", and it worked out to that mileage interval. No problems doing that, and the cost of filter replacement is not all that bad. I have been told the Ram/Cummins has the easiest/neatest fuel filter change of any of them.
Yes I agree, its just that there are a few things that aren't adding up. I just got back from the dealership where I explained to them that I had reset my fuel filter life gauge as they suggested the first time I spoke with them and have been driving it and my fuel filter life gauge has not budged off of 99% nor have I received the warning light again.

I wish I could explain it but I don't have the expertise. I'm not even sure I believe 100% what the dealers are telling me but that was two different dealers in two different towns that I called and I got the same answer. I'm still going to change them but I no longer feel like its so urgent that I can't wait until this freezing weather passes. But here is something to think about... What else would explain why some people get 10,000 miles until their filter life meter gets to zero and other people get 15,000 miles and their meter isn't even at zero yet? If it all has to do with driving habits then I should be getting the most out of mine because I never tow or haul heavy loads and I don't idle excessively.

Last edited:

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I change the oil in my truck @8,000mi. and fuel filters every other oil change! So far so good 223,000mi on ODO.

DepotBo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What do you all do with the old filters once you change them out? I can't seem to find a place that'll dispose of them properly. Set em on fire in the back yard??

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That’s what I’m going to do with mine. I’ll cut the metal rear filter open and have a look see first. It may be the time element that caused the filter change to come early. I’ll find out because I’ve had my truck 6 months and only have 4500 miles on it so far, so in September I’ll see what happens. I’ve got a gasser I do all my short running around in and use my CTD to pull my TT and longer runs. I’m retired and some weeks I don’t go anywhere.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am thinking there must be a fuel flow sensor somewhere to feed data to MPG calculation. If so, a drop in fuel flow could indicate restriction. I have a 2016 CTD and change the fuel filter every other oil / filter change which equals 15,000 mi (oil / filter @ 7,500). My fuel filter life usually reads around 50% when I change the filter. Same with my oil filter life reading.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
I swapped out my fuel filters around 9k miles, specifically because it's a 2018 I bought at end of 2019, I figured hey it sat for a year with very little driving. Now I just watch my percentages on the dash, and swap oil at 15k or 1 year since I run full synthetic. I'm not mechanically inclined so I take the truck to the dealership, I'm willing to pay people who went to school specifically to work on my truck. Shes almost at 13k miles now and I've only had it since September 2019. Just my 2 cents worth.

TwinSuns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve always done every 12k - 15k and have never had a problem. Suppose it’s better to cautious and change a little early then to let it ride. It’s a fairly straightforward job to do both yourself with the right tools.