Fuel gauge quit working. Reads empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenishere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Already checked gauges. All worked fine on test. Gauge still reads empty when started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wire loose from/to sending unit???? Thinking out loud.....

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fuel tank sending unit bad
My 2014 has this issue... $100+ for sending unit, $200+ for entire assembly with new fuel pump, plus $400 to install

Last edited:

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
What he said^^^ . Sons 2014, same symptom, dealer replaced the entire fuel pump assembly.

Work vehicle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2018 Big Horn that does the same thing. Start it up when I know there is gas in it and it dings that it is low and shows the gauge pegged at empty. As I drive it, it fills itself to where it should be. I had this issue last winter and the dealer put a new gauge in it. Worked until the middle of May then on a damp cold morning it started all over again. I think there is a corroded wire or something to that affect. The dealer wants to dump another fuel pump/sending unit in. I hate that they throw easy expensive fixes that don't work.

Thoughts?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2018 Big Horn that does the same thing. Start it up when I know there is gas in it and it dings that it is low and shows the gauge pegged at empty. As I drive it, it fills itself to where it should be. I had this issue last winter and the dealer put a new gauge in it. Worked until the middle of May then on a damp cold morning it started all over again. I think there is a corroded wire or something to that affect. The dealer wants to dump another fuel pump/sending unit in. I hate that they throw easy expensive fixes that don't work.

Thoughts?

Hello! Our team would like to offer our assistance alongside your dealer if desired. To get started, please send us a private message with your vehicle's make and mileage so we can take a better look.

Hannah
Ram Cares