fuel gauge stuck on full

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the truck back yesterday from the mechanic. Had the fuel sensor failure issue.
They replaced the pump and fuel sensor assembly.
I noticed today that the fuel gauge is reading like I topped the tank off which I didn't.
My guess is there should be a little over 1/2 a tank in there if I remember correctly.
When I took it in it was obviously reading nothing because of the malfunction.
Does the gauge need to be reset or anything?
I have looked for this and found videos but it's on trucks with the little push peg ODO reset, nothing for trucks with the steering wheel/display screen thingie.
Any help would be appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Nothing to reset for the fuel level. If it's reading at the top of the gauge either your mechanic filled the tank or there's a problem with the new fuel sending unit. My guess is the latter, and take it back to the mechanic.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
maybe it magically produces its own gas and will never go empty again. :happy175:. no id take it back to mechanic, somethings wrong for sure.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I agree take it back. They probably bent the float if there is one on this type of unit. Or they did not adjust it correctly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Might be the connector,i think it'll go to full if the connector isn't fully seated and making a good electrical connection.

OP
OP
G

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the gauge started to move a tiny bit yesterday but I really don't know how much is in there.
This morning, off to take the yellow heathen for a run in the woods and the "check fuel cap" message pops up.
Jeez, this is my second vehicle in the span of a month that they have screwed up. The other vehicle is back there getting fixed again. This one goes back on Monday when I pick that vehicle up and hopefully they don't mess up again.
Either way, time for a new independent mechanic.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You beat me to it ,find a different mechanic/shop.

OP
OP
G

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone know if the "check fuel cap" message will self reset once you put on a new gas cap?
I knew it wouldn't fix the problem but I don't want them to have that excuse.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The "Check Fuel Cap" message will reset itself but the cause maybe related to the problem with your recently installed fuel sending module.
The reason why the fuel cap message shows up it the truck detects an air leak within the fuel system.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it will reset if the old cap was not sealing rigth. Just drive couple of miles and the message should go away.

Waken305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Ram forums, I’m new to the message boards. I have the exact issue as this post. Received a fuel sensor warning and gauge went to empty. Took it to the dealership near my area and had the fuel pump replaced.I picked up the truck two days ago and noticed the fuel gauge is stuck on full despite putting quite a few miles on it. I ended up takingthe truck back to the dealership and had them take a look,it appears they will have to order another fuel pump…I guess my question is, do you think a new fuel pump will fix this issue or is there another part that may need to be checked? The fuel pump won’t get here for another month, I want to make sure they order everything needed. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vehicles are way more complex nowadays. Lot more emission parts/wires, etc. Could be a wire not fully plugged in by the tank, something with the evap module, or mayby a fluke new issue(??). I'm glad you're giving them a chance to make it right. Not all batters hit the ball out of the park on the first pitch, ...or swing.

Ron_M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. I was wondering if OP problem was ever resolved? I have the exact same issue on my 2014 Express. Gauges were reset via the Chrysler tool. Plan is to check the connectors to ensure they are seated and maybe disconnect battery power for 15 minutes.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The "Check Fuel Cap" message will reset itself but the cause maybe related to the problem with your recently installed fuel sending module.
The reason why the fuel cap message shows up it the truck detects an air leak within the fuel system.
Very likely to be the issue. I find it unlikely the gas cap has now failed this close to the pump fix. If they didn't seat the new pump and seal properly you will get an air leakage and the fuel cap warning will pop on.

Will be interested to hear what the issue was.

OP
OP
G

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe I never updated this post. I know I have mentioned this in other threads but here was the final story on the fuel pump replacement.
So I had to take the truck back again, they were convinced that it was a fuel cap issue and I asked if the dropped the tank and they said they were confident in their diagnosis. Cleared all codes, gave it back.
Fine.
I need to fill it up, it's empty.
Gas nozzle clicks off after a couple seconds and then clicks off immedietly. I was getting hot at this point because I am convinced it's a venting issue of some type.
So I go to a different gas station to make sure it's not the pump.
Same thing, can't pump gas into it.
So, done with this mechanic.
Off to the dealer.
Explain the story.
Next day I get a call from them and they tell me the independent shop left a tool on top of the tank and it was pinching the vent line. They were very appreciative of the free tool they got. No charge for this.
They then inform me I have broken exhaust bolts. Fixed under warranty, they had to keep it another day but I was thrilled.
So the dealer didn't cost me a nickel.
People make mistakes, but if a shop refuses to stand behind their work and fix their mistakes, they are dead to me.

Needless to say never going back. Wife went back to the independent dealer one more time for just a oil change. As we pulled up to pick it up the hood didn't look shut tight. It was shut when I tugged on it but very uneven. Popped the hood, and it didn't want to pop but it finally did. A bungee cord was slammed between the hood and top of radiator. What a bunch of hacks.
Sorry I never updated this story, going off the best of my memory.

Ron_M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Gom for the update. You didn't say if your gauge now works though? Mine is stuck on full and yesterday I was "blessed" with a check engine light for P0461 fuel lever sensor. My next step is to check the electrical connections actually everything surrounding the tank.

OP
OP
G

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Gom for the update. You didn't say if your gauge now works though? Mine is stuck on full and yesterday I was "blessed" with a check engine light for P0461 fuel lever sensor. My next step is to check the electrical connections actually everything surrounding the tank.
Yes, after the fuel pump replacment it worked. I think I was mistaken in thinking I had half a tank, I think I had filled it before taking it to the shop wondering if that would make the needle move and I mostly fill up at half a tank anyway. That probably was a bad move for the guy who had to drop the tank when it was full.
But long story short, they pinched the vent line after replacing pump and sensor and it was throwing the gas cap warning and I couldn't fill the tank up once it emptied.