Fuel Level Sensor (Sending Unit) Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 5.7

I need to access the two wires leading to my fuel-level sending unit. What is the most convenient place? If bundled, I’d also need the colors to identify.

I’m going to place a resistance across the wires to simulate a properly-working sending unit. This will allow me to clear the stored fault code and then run the UTDP to clear the permanent code, and get my truck through state inspection.

A few months ago the sending unit worked in part of its range and I expected to clear the codes after fueling to the correct level. But now it has gone completely open-circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Funkychateau

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because it’s a lot of work for something non-essential. I just reset one of my trip meters each time I fill up.

I’ll probably drop the tank and replace the fuel pump module (which also gets me a new sending unit) around 250K miles or so. I don’t have access to a lift, and don’t want to do this twice.

Also, the sending unit costs an unreasonable percentage of the complete fuel module. So much that I’d feel abused if I purchased it separately. If anyone knows where to buy the sending unit for 35 or 40 bucks, I’ll change my plans.

So, are you really a tech, can you help with the wire identification?

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The level sending sense and return should be a black wire and a blue with a white tracer. The easiest spots would be at the bcm, or the in-line connector by the driver side fender well. With a constant resistance the cel will come on again after awhile, but it might stay off long enough to do what you want.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I never thought about it, but I live in NY and you won't pass your yearly mandatory state inspection if the check engine light is on. I thought it was dependent on what the actual code is and if it is emissions related, but maybe not. It's been close to 20yrs since I had an issue because I waste money every few years on new vehicles. LOL

OP
OP
Funkychateau

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, everyone! I’ll be taking a look at this over the coming weekend.