Fuel pump failure on 2020 CTD at 7800 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Driving 2020 2500 CTD (7800 miles) while towing ~6500 lb travel trailer, the engine just cut out. Would not restart. It was a big fiasco on a major roadway. Cops had to manage traffic as I was blocking center 2 lanes of a 4 lane road (died in the middle of a left-turn across roadway). Took an hour to get a tow truck for my tow vehicle. My bro-in-law was able to get my TT out of the road. Fortunately, I was in my hometown and not out on vacation (had been in the middle of nowhere the week prior). It took 4 weeks to get it fixed due to parts shortage and shipping.

Mechanic at the local dealership said it was a fuel pump failure. As the pump broke, it showered the fuel system with metal shards. The fuel system from pump to injectors had to be replaced. I asked specifically what contributed to the failure. He said it was as simple as a failed part. A fuel pump is a part, parts fail, fuel pumps fail. Dodge has a kit for this: Injection Fuel System Kit R8545068AA. It was all covered under warranty.

Wondering if there are others with similar experiences? Relatively new vehicle with a major fuel system failure? Everything seems in working order now. I'm definitely going to purchase an extended warranty now (had only been considering it previously). I'm also going to increase my AAA coverage to include trailer towing.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Driving 2020 2500 CTD (7800 miles) while towing ~6500 lb travel trailer, the engine just cut out. Would not restart. It was a big fiasco on a major roadway. Cops had to manage traffic as I was blocking center 2 lanes of a 4 lane road (died in the middle of a left-turn across roadway). Took an hour to get a tow truck for my tow vehicle. My bro-in-law was able to get my TT out of the road. Fortunately, I was in my hometown and not out on vacation (had been in the middle of nowhere the week prior). It took 4 weeks to get it fixed due to parts shortage and shipping.

Mechanic at the local dealership said it was a fuel pump failure. As the pump broke, it showered the fuel system with metal shards. The fuel system from pump to injectors had to be replaced. I asked specifically what contributed to the failure. He said it was as simple as a failed part. A fuel pump is a part, parts fail, fuel pumps fail. Dodge has a kit for this: Injection Fuel System Kit R8545068AA. It was all covered under warranty.

Wondering if there are others with similar experiences? Relatively new vehicle with a major fuel system failure? Everything seems in working order now. I'm definitely going to purchase an extended warranty now (had only been considering it previously). I'm also going to increase my AAA coverage to include trailer towing.
Another cp4 strikes again. We have worried ourselves sick over our 20 model 3500. I've put extra hotshot lubricity additive in since it was fresh off the train. I'm at 16k now and just hoping when it goes it's before the warranty runs out but we stay a nervous wreck because we haul heavy and are full timers.
Did you get the new fuel pump there using in the 21 models wich is similar to the older version cp3?
Did you learn it was th
e 3 yr bumper to bumper or 5 yr power train warranty that coveted the whole fuel system?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^ CP 4. U got to add a cetane additive for better lubricity, IMHO, I had to do so on MY 15 ED. OP< if U can, I hope U got the new 2021 CP3 system, and not another CP4, For me I ran Diesel Kleen, and there are (2) types in different colored bottles: One for summer and one for winter. But temps here are a lot different then up North. (except for our lil -5F in Feb this year). All above just IMHO...

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
So sorry this happened. I almost bought a 2020 Cummins, and am so glad I didn't! My trusty 6.4 never misses a beat.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I would of definitly held out for a 21 model if i had been informed. The truck is awesome except for that one black cloud over it, but thats a big cloud and it makes me nervous. Fingers crossed for an eventual recall before it glitter bombs the system.

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Here is the new pump. I have not been able to identify the pump that was installed. The markings shown are supposed to help identify the type of pump. I pointed them out with red arrows. The part number is R8545068AA for "Fuel Kit: Injection" but I couldn't find on the internet what pump that kit comes with. My next step is to go beyond the dealer to Ram to see what pump got installed.

Can anyone identify the pump shown here?
New fuel pump.jpgNew fuel pump 2.jpg

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Still a CP4. They made a change from an asymetrical to a symetrical design, but still a glitter-bomb CP4. I have a 2019, and that POS pump is always on my mind. There is rumor of a "Service Solution" to be announced by the end of the third quarter. It had better be a recall to install the trusty CP3 that these trucks should have had in the first place.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Still a CP4. They made a change from an asymetrical to a symetrical design, but still a glitter-bomb CP4. I have a 2019, and that POS pump is always on my mind. There is rumor of a "Service Solution" to be announced by the end of the third quarter. It had better be a recall to install the trusty CP3 that these trucks should have had in the first place.
I hope, i wish, i can't take the stress.

Jedidadof4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have 2018 Laramie EcoDiesel and the same thing happened to me. But It took 6weeks for the Dodge Dealership to figure it out and fix. I got lucky, I was still under manufacturing warranty, parts alone was $7000. Everything from the fuel take to the injectors had to be taken off and replaced. The fuel tank was cleansed. I asked my personal mechanic (30yrs exp), said unfortunately it is a common problem with the big 3 (Ford, Chevy, and Ram), the OEM manufacture part. He said a fuel additive that lube's and cleans the system can help, see link.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
For those that can't take the stress of not knowing if / when the pump will fail, S&S Diesel and Industrial Injection both offer CP4 to CP3 conversion kits. Just depends on if peace of mind is worth $3,000 + install cost. I haul horses on a routine basis so if it were me I would replace the pump. Failures often occur at the worst time like on a hot sunny day. Knowing I could greatly reduced the risk to them would be worth it. Not to mention the monetary side were the kit is way cheaper than losing one or more of my horses. Warrantee's do not cover incidental losses.

Something to think about is an additive like Opti-Lube will cost about $3000 over a 8 year period if using about .5 gallon (256 gallons of diesel) per month. This does not correct the problem but does increase fuel lubricity which is thought to be a contributing factor to CP4 failures.

Last edited:

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I have 2018 Laramie EcoDiesel and the same thing happened to me. But It took 6weeks for the Dodge Dealership to figure it out and fix. I got lucky, I was still under manufacturing warranty, parts alone was $7000. Everything from the fuel take to the injectors had to be taken off and replaced. The fuel tank was cleansed. I asked my personal mechanic (30yrs exp), said unfortunately it is a common problem with the big 3 (Ford, Chevy, and Ram), the OEM manufacture part. He said a fuel additive that lube's and cleans the system can help, see link.

Hopefully all this fuel lubricity lube we're using makes enough differance

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
For those that can't take the stress of not knowing if / when the pump will fail, S&S Diesel and Industrial Injection both offer CP4 to CP3 conversion kits. Just depends on if peace of mind is worth $3,000 + install cost. I haul horses on a routine basis so if it were me I would replace the pump. Failures often occur at the worst time like on a hot sunny day. Knowing I could greatly reduced the risk to them would be worth it. Not to mention the monetary side were the kit is way cheaper than losing one or more of my horses. Warrantee's do not cover incidental losses.

Something to think about is an additive like Opti-Lube will cost about $3000 over a 8 year period if using about .5 gallon (256 gallons of diesel) per month. This does not correct the problem but does increase fuel lubricity which is thought to be a contributing factor to CP4 failures.
Doesn't replacing the pump or creating a bypass or changing the design of any kind void your manufacturers warranty?

clarkfred

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Here is the new pump. I have not been able to identify the pump that was installed. The markings shown are supposed to help identify the type of pump. I pointed them out with red arrows. The part number is R8545068AA for "Fuel Kit: Injection" but I couldn't find on the internet what pump that kit comes with. My next step is to go beyond the dealer to Ram to see what pump got installed.

Can anyone identify the pump shown here?
View attachment 466887View attachment 466890
Based on the dimples/dots. That is a CP4.2. I believe if it only had 4 dots it would be just a CP4.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Doesn't replacing the pump or creating a bypass or changing the design of any kind void your manufacturers warranty?
Most likely yes but I did not mean to imply it would not. Then again so can fuel additives not recommended by the manufacturer. FCA has been known to conduct fuel tests before doing expensive warranty work sometime blaming "contaminated fuel" for the failure and denying the warranty claim.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Most likely yes but I did not mean to imply it would not. Then again so can fuel additives not recommended by the manufacturer. FCA has been known to conduct fuel tests before doing expensive warranty work sometime blaming "contaminated fuel" for the failure and denying the warranty claim.
gotcha, yup your right, most folks have said that fca tried that whole contaminated fuel excuse

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The other thing about warranty claims is they would have a hard time denying a claim for say the transmission or radio due to someone swapping the fuel injection pump. They would have to prove the fuel injection pump swap caused the transmission or radio failure. Both S&S and Industrial sell direct replacement kits that do not require any changes to the ECM or "tuning" to work properly. That is the kit I would install versus one of the high performance kits that require altering the ECM or "tuning".

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Based on the dimples/dots. That is a CP4.2. I believe if it only had 4 dots it would be just a CP4.
On the Cummins they are ALL CP4.2. The .2 does not mean Version 2, it means the pump has two pumping sections/cylinders. The whole dots deal denotes Asymetrical, or Symetrical. As long as it's a CP4 it's a glitterbomb.

Webracin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well add me to the list of failures. I just got my truck back after being in the shop for 7 days. Parts are restricted status, so the dealership has to work with Ram Engineering to have the parts released, but that only took a day for the approval.

On a side note, I have 35k miles on the truck and never added any fuel additives as I never heard of this issue until it happened. I will be using Hotshot for every tank fill now. I was towing my 15K 5er on the way to a national rally, and broke down in the middle of nowhere. No refund on the rally and having to pay for a week in a closed for renovation campground.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Well add me to the list of failures. I just got my truck back after being in the shop for 7 days. Parts are restricted status, so the dealership has to work with Ram Engineering to have the parts released, but that only took a day for the approval.

On a side note, I have 35k miles on the truck and never added any fuel additives as I never heard of this issue until it happened. I will be using Hotshot for every tank fill now. I was towing my 15K 5er on the way to a national rally, and broke down in the middle of nowhere. No refund on the rally and having to pay for a week in a closed for renovation campground.
Thats my number one fear, for it to happen with a load on. I've done hot shot since new and wishing and hoping all the tests and research they promote proves to make the differance. Make sure you get the lx4 lubricity extreme. 1oz per 10 gallons. I only buy the gallon jug because its way cheaper that way. Plus sometimes they run a special when you spend over $60 then they offer a free bottle of something but I ust ask them if I can have a free bottle of edt diesel treatment which is also for the fuel system and they always do it. Great company