Fuel pump time! Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
What is TIP start?

Glad to hear it worked out. I got to do the fuel level sensor soon, I just count my miles for now.
I'm sorry. Haha.

So since I ****** this up so bad. I'll just summarize how I think would be the easiest way to do the fuel pump.

1) have an empty gas tank....
2) jack up rear of truck, and put on jack stands.
3) take off driver side rear fender liner, remove tail light connectors and drop through bed.
4) remove the 3 16mm bolts on driver side of bed, loosen 3 bolts on passenger side
5) take out the filler neck
6) lift the bed up a little bit. Maybe like 4".
6a) I only do this to get easy access to fuel lines/connectors on top of tank. So not necessary, but worked best for me.
7) disconnect 3 lines from tank towards rear of truck.
8) remove fuel line. And electrical connector on fuel basket.
8a) there is also another fuel line on the frame running down driver side. Along with a last electrical connector on side of tank, next to drive shaft. kinda under the heat shield.
9)I used a motorcycle jack to support the tank (which was perrfect). But support tank, and remove 2 muts for the tank straps.
10) remove tanks straps, and drag that sucker out!

Look at that. 10 steps. It seems so easy now. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I changed the fuel pump on my 99 that way, minus the bed lifting.

Thanks for the write up. I see the fuel tank is different shaped than my 99, I didn't need to Jack it up either, it slid right out the side.

I have a crew cab long bed now so maybe it will slide out the side, but if not, I will jack it.

Again thanks for the info.

I tried the TIP start, interesting feature that I didn't know about.

What I liked about wrenching on the 99, I had done just about everything normal wear wise, that it was real quick to work on.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I changed the fuel pump on my 99 that way, minus the bed lifting.

Thanks for the write up. I see the fuel tank is different shaped than my 99, I didn't need to Jack it up either, it slid right out the side.

I have a crew cab long bed now so maybe it will slide out the side, but if not, I will jack it.

Again thanks for the info.

I tried the TIP start, interesting feature that I didn't know about.

What I liked about wrenching on the 99, I had done just about everything normal wear wise, that it was real quick to work on.

The fuel tank on my truck was to tall for it to slide out the back, side, front. where ever. I didnt have jack stands, so just ended up switching the pump under the truck with the tank on the ground

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk