Fuel Pump troubleshooting P016F

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlabamaDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Good afternoon and Happy New Year.
I have a 2016 EcoDiesel that I purchased new. Currently about 65K miles on it. I experienced an issue a few months ago driving on the interstate for several hours and the truck stalled when getting off with a little less than ¼ of a tank. I put a few gallons of diesel in and it cranked right up.

After multiple attempts to duplicate, I noticed that after the fuel gauge got to about a ¼ of a tank I would hear a whining noise from the pump under the hood. Once I fill the tank up to ½ it would go away. No issues no whining noise. Every time same thing once the truck got to a ¼ tank the truck would get harder to start and then potentially shut off all while making a whining noise.

Is this a lift pump issue or a high pressure pump issue?
I did replace the fuel filter separator a couple years ago a 35K with no issues.
It did register a code of P016F.

I have called the dealer and there is a significant cost to replace the high pressure pump. I really don’t want have them just replace parts until they fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
You should also replace the fuel filter again when you replace the in tank lift pump. The fuel filter should be replaced every 30k miles according to Ram but most ecodiesel owners do theirs every 20k miles. I do mine every 15k miles just to be safe and make sure I don’t have any issues.

OP
OP
A

AlabamaDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
For anyone following this thread. The issue was the low pressure fuel pump. it was replaced as part of the warranty for the AEM update.

Tjaytogo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8
Good afternoon and Happy New Year.
I have a 2016 EcoDiesel that I purchased new. Currently about 65K miles on it. I experienced an issue a few months ago driving on the interstate for several hours and the truck stalled when getting off with a little less than ¼ of a tank. I put a few gallons of diesel in and it cranked right up.

After multiple attempts to duplicate, I noticed that after the fuel gauge got to about a ¼ of a tank I would hear a whining noise from the pump under the hood. Once I fill the tank up to ½ it would go away. No issues no whining noise. Every time same thing once the truck got to a ¼ tank the truck would get harder to start and then potentially shut off all while making a whining noise.

Is this a lift pump issue or a high pressure pump issue?
I did replace the fuel filter separator a couple years ago a 35K with no issues.
It did register a code of P016F.

I have called the dealer and there is a significant cost to replace the high pressure pump. I really don’t want have them just replace parts until they fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Ebay sells the bypass relay kit $59. 90% sure, this is your problem. My South Jersey dealer charged my $750, $450, $900. Then they said all fuel injectors bad $2000! I towed my truck from there to a local guy. He installed the kit. No wire cutting!! These dealers know the problem (know the cheat fix) and rob us!!!! A crime!!! Get the news out $59!!