Fuel rate consumption indicator thingy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hi Y'all!

I made it to Tennessee in the new truck. Only had an atv for a payload, no towing this trip, but the Cummins purred along. The night before departure, I went out to check air in the tires and thought I'd torque the wheels as some of you suggested, since I had just had tires installed about 200 miles ago. Couple loose ones, but most were tight. I should have backed them off first to make sure the installer had torqued them correctly, but with a long trip ahead, I thought it best to leave it alone.
Anyway, the sob put the white lettering inside... didn't ask and I didn't notice until I got home, 3 hours away. When I popped off the lug cover, I found one missing lug nut on two tires! I guess 1200 bucks for tires wasn't enough for him to be arsed to call me or just replace them.

Preamble out of the way. I'm curious first of all what the fuel mileage thingy is called so I know what to refer to it as. And second, it isn't very accurate. Is that the way they are or does it need to be calibrated? I double checked the odometer against the mile markers. and it was spot on in a ten mile stretch. I'll check going home over longer distance for better accuracy, but until then... I thought I was doing really well with my driving based on the indicator thingy. I was getting 21 mpg or better. I even reset it on occasion, always getting similar results. That includes infrequent stops and starts off the highway. Considering a 34 gallon tank, I should almost have enough fuel to go non-stop to my destination, yet I had to refuel way too soon. Topped up with 32 gallons. Calculated about 16 mpg.

So, what's the scoop?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi Y'all!

I made it to Tennessee in the new truck. Only had an atv for a payload, no towing this trip, but the Cummins purred along. The night before departure, I went out to check air in the tires and thought I'd torque the wheels as some of you suggested, since I had just had tires installed about 200 miles ago. Couple loose ones, but most were tight. I should have backed them off first to make sure the installer had torqued them correctly, but with a long trip ahead, I thought it best to leave it alone.
Anyway, the sob put the white lettering inside... didn't ask and I didn't notice until I got home, 3 hours away. When I popped off the lug cover, I found one missing lug nut on two tires! I guess 1200 bucks for tires wasn't enough for him to be arsed to call me or just replace them.

Preamble out of the way. I'm curious first of all what the fuel mileage thingy is called so I know what to refer to it as. And second, it isn't very accurate. Is that the way they are or does it need to be calibrated? I double checked the odometer against the mile markers. and it was spot on in a ten mile stretch. I'll check going home over longer distance for better accuracy, but until then... I thought I was doing really well with my driving based on the indicator thingy. I was getting 21 mpg or better. I even reset it on occasion, always getting similar results. That includes infrequent stops and starts off the highway. Considering a 34 gallon tank, I should almost have enough fuel to go non-stop to my destination, yet I had to refuel way too soon. Topped up with 32 gallons. Calculated about 16 mpg.

So, what's the scoop?

The thingy is called the EVIC and I refer to it as the 'feel good' reading. The only accurate way to figure mpg is hand calculate. Most of us find our feel good reading is just that, feel good. I've had 5 Chrysler vehicles since 2002 and they all are way off and always read above actual mileage.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A lot of us have found our EVIC mileage numbers are not accurate. I always hand calculate mileage and don't rely on the truck's computer for the number.

I'd kick that tire installer's butt over the missing lugnuts. That's criminal as it's unsafe and things could have gone bad in a hurry if that wheel had managed to come loose. It's up to you but if it were me I'd lodge a complaint with the store and the corporate office if it was done at one of those chain stores like Discount Tire, Goodyear Service Center, etc...

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A lot of us have found our EVIC mileage numbers are not accurate. I always hand calculate mileage and don't rely on the truck's computer for the number.

I'd kick that tire installer's butt over the missing lugnuts. That's criminal as it's unsafe and things could have gone bad in a hurry if that wheel had managed to come loose. It's up to you but if it were me I'd lodge a complaint with the store and the corporate office if it was done at one of those chain stores like Discount Tire, Goodyear Service Center, etc...

It was not a tire chain. It was a shop that claims to have a certified diesel mechanic on staff. I bought my truck 180 miles from my home and hired them to do the pre-buy inspection. Unfortunately, now that the title is in my name, I discover that they can't even inspect their own work. They helped me get the price down, but I can't help wonder if they did a proper inspection. I knew about the tires going in. They weren't E rated and I had already intended to replace them. I intentionally refrained from pointing it out to the shop because I wanted to see if they noticed. I also wanted to see if they noticed the bent housing on the steering stabilizer... they didn't but they said they always replace them when they do shocks and THAT was on the recommended things to do. Song and dance, but I couldn't prove them lying or being negligent until seeing the missing lugs nuts.

You're right. It is worth a complaint... but it probably won't do any good. Still, I will let the management know I'm not happy and they shouldn't be either.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've found most are optimistic.

My dad's was spot on +/- .2 mpg. Which is very good.

Ultimately, any time you want an accurate reading it needs to be done by hand. Filling up at the same time every time whenever the pump clicks off.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I had a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2l V-8, it averaged around 13 mpg, no matter how you drove it! So i guess with a bigger motor and more horsepower, the Hemi is doing ok. ;)

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was hoping for better, but looks like I'm getting about 16 mpg maybe a little better, empty, highway at about 70 mph. Still better than my 6-cyl gas F-150