Fuel sensor failed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wtf ? code came this afternoon on my way to the gym, truck was running ok, saw a message that said fuel sensor failed, then the fuel needle went all the way to empty, them came back up again, now the messages comes everytime i start the truck, and the stupid cel is on all the time, I'm at home now, and the truck was running just fine, good power, no issues with it other than sthe stupid cel, i scanned it and it's a P0463, Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input, tried to clear the cell, but it won't go away.. i did a search for it, and it seems another "Common" ocurrence in this trucks ? mother facker....

Truck has 63k miles, how bad is it to run the truck like this for a while ? is this an expensive fix ? damn it, just when i was thinking to spend some love on my suspension, this comes up...
I also checked the Evap test, and it's not completing, i'd assume because of this code, good thing i don't have to pass smog tomorrow, lol

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Replace the fuel level sensor, yes it common. If you have max care, its covered. Might be covered under powertrain if you have that still. It won't hurt anything to ignore it for awhile. OBD monitors won't run. If you have a 26 gallon tank, the gauge is pretty accurate & theres not a lot of fuel reserve (ask me how I know....). 32 gallon might have a bit of a reserve due to the gauge inaccuracy (not sure if the flash update has released yet).

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if'm lucky and they'll cover the repair under the 100k miles warranty.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called the dealer today, they said the repair is not covered under the powertrain warranty, and i'm looking at $1200 bill because they have to drop the fuel tank. i escaped the repair of doing the exhaust manifold bolts a few months ago (have a new passenger side head, along with all bolts and gaskets on both sides as a result, all paid by the dealer), but now comes this, ******** it. i'll see if i can put my hands on those wires at the back of the tank, and hopefully touch something that could fix this, worst case i can shut down the stupid cel with Hptuners for the time being while i figure something different, either i grab vacation time to do this myself, or pay my local shop to do it for less money than the dealer, i can't pay the stealer $1200 to replace a $100 part, i sold my JKU due to a similar situation, and here i'm again, $1000+ on repairs to install the same damn piece of chit factory part that could fall apart again in 20-30k miles.

Do we know if there are better parts in the aftermaket? i don't mind forced upgrades if i'm paying for something that will last.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh that sucks! The level sensor is part of the sending unit and unfortunately the sending unit is only warranted for 3yrs/36K miles. This is not part of the 5yr/100K p-train warranty. The only things covered by the Federal 8yrs/80K mile warranty are the catalytic converters and powertrain control module. Another FCA cop out IMO. Lots of other manufacturers now cover a TON of stuff like FSU's for 8/80 and beyond now.

Sad thing is, I'm sure there's a way to fix the level sensor by itself, but it probably still requires dropping the tank to get it out.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I opted for disabling the p0463 mil in the the tune, so no more codes showing up, and the fuel system test now shows complete, now i need to wait for all the other diagnostic test to complete, this is not an emission test anyways, and given the $1200 repair for a silly piece, i don't give a damn about my fuel needle not being accurate if that's going to be the case, i go by miles driven anyways, and my odometer is spot on via GPS, so fwy only i can do 350 miles with about 21-22 gallons, but i'll be pumping every 300 miles just in case, if it's city only, then i'll fill her up every 200-250 miles, i just need to wait to see how the gas level is measured from now on, i can see the % in HPT, as well as what the needle is showing me currently, so far i haven't seeing the thing going all the way down, i guess beause the mil is off, i had pumped a full tank the day before yesterday, and i haven't driven much since then. Later on i'll have the thing repaired, im planning to keep this truck for a very long time, assuming this facker won't start doing more of this silly "common" crap on me :)

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Do we know if there are better parts in the aftermaket? i don't mind forced upgrades if i'm paying for something that will last.

There are no aftermarket sending units that will attach to the intank housing. Its an easy fix that does require dropping the tank. Less fuel is better. :D

I fixed mine at 50k. I have 73k now

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the test driving all the way down until the 1/8 red mark by the gauge, pumped 20.2 gallons of gas which i think is in line with how is supposed to read. i can't 100% trust the needle, and will continue to check miles, and compare that to the needle, but so far it seems good, no plans as of yet when i'll get this fixed, but i'll keep it in the to do list, all the odb2 tests have completed as normal, and the stupid dtc light won't prevent my BLD from working as it should when i'm doing offroad, i'll prob order the part and keep it in my garage for the time being as a reminder i need to get this done, thanks again Dangulo for that part# highly appreciated.

Gregg Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I opted for disabling the p0463 mil in the the tune, so no more codes showing up, and the fuel system test now shows complete, now i need to wait for all the other diagnostic test to complete, this is not an emission test anyways, and given the $1200 repair for a silly piece, i don't give a damn about my fuel needle not being accurate if that's going to be the case, i go by miles driven anyways, and my odometer is spot on via GPS, so fwy only i can do 350 miles with about 21-22 gallons, but i'll be pumping every 300 miles just in case, if it's city only, then i'll fill her up every 200-250 miles, i just need to wait to see how the gas level is measured from now on, i can see the % in HPT, as well as what the needle is showing me currently, so far i haven't seeing the thing going all the way down, i guess beause the mil is off, i had pumped a full tank the day before yesterday, and i haven't driven much since then. Later on i'll have the thing repaired, im planning to keep this truck for a very long time, assuming this facker won't start doing more of this silly "common" crap on me :)
I have the exact same problem. 63k miles and everytime the tank gets to 1/2 the light comes on. The dealer quoted me $500 to fix which is still too much for a code that doesn't even seem to affect the way the truck runs.
I'm interested in how you disabled the P0463 code??? I would like to try that!!

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the exact same problem. 63k miles and everytime the tank gets to 1/2 the light comes on. The dealer quoted me $500 to fix which is still too much for a code that doesn't even seem to affect the way the truck runs.
I'm interested in how you disabled the P0463 code??? I would like to try that!!

I did it using HPtuners disabling the P0463 in the PCM calibration, unfortunately if you don't have HPT already, it'll be more expensive for you to go this route than what the dealer will charge you, as literally you'll need to unlock your PCM (i see you have a 15 model from your profile), and then pay for HPT.

Gregg Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I did it using HPtuners disabling the P0463 in the PCM calibration, unfortunately if you don't have HPT already, it'll be more expensive for you to go this route than what the dealer will charge you, as literally you'll need to unlock your PCM (i see you have a 15 model from your profile), and then pay for HPT.
Ok, Thanks for the info..

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it seems i'm going to have to order that damn sensor after all, the fuel sensor has been acting up for the past 2 days, basically going all the way to empty then back to whatever the actual level is. like yesterday went completely bananas doing this back and forth every 2 minutes or so, today it has remained stuck in empty for my entire trip to the office, still same p0463, it didn't bother me before because at least the sensor was somehow working just fine and giving me accurate readings, and this empty to full dance was happenning maybe once every 2-3 weeks, but today i have no fuel reading at all so i'm strictly going by distance traveled.

46938934271_9e1ebcce65_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took the truck to my local shop today and ended up replacing the whole fuel pump instead of just the sender unit. The pump was good but under the recommendation of my mechanic given the number of miles i have in the truck (68k), it made sense for me to change the whole thing, he mentioned the filter in the pump was black, so he gave me the choice given the price to do the job, labor price was the same to replace either part, pump was $360, labor $130, 2 years warranty, so i think it was a no brainer in this instance.

46172992575_05033c1177_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

32144780997_2783dd13f6_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same problem. P0463 code, the check engine light would come on once the gauge dipped below half. From there it would spontaneously drop to empty and then back to just below half in a matter of seconds while driving. I brought it to the dealer today and the total to fix was in the $1100 range. Luckily when I bought the truck, used by the way, I ended up buying a 3rd party warranty through Zurich from the dealership for $1200. The Dodge dealership I bought the truck at is an hour drive from my house so I bring it to another Dodge dealer here in my town for service. With the warranty deductible it will cost me $100 to fix. I have to admit I was leery about the warranty either not covering this or the dealer not honoring it. Thankfully I was wrong.

billdozer79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it easier to drop the tank or lift the bed? I am debating on doing this myself and would like to figure out a route to go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn