Fuel tank material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, just (maybe) purchased a 2010 Laramie. Had it one day , filled it up on the way home and this morning I see gas leaking out the tank where it appears to have been previously patched. Is it a metal or plastic tank? Tried knocking on it but looks as if undercoating was sprayed on underneath.
Thanks

OP
OP
R

Richny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what are the thoughts on repairing it? Already been patched and leaking from the patch. I can’t see paying $16,000 for a truck with a patched tank. Don’t know if a poor patch job was done or if you just can’t patch these tanks.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who is selling it? Private party or dealer? It’s a 13 year old truck, I’d have it checked out by a trusted mechanic. If it’s leaking fuel from a failing patch job who knows what else the seller is hiding.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody who sprayed undercoat on a plastic tank is trying to hide something.

I’m unclear on how you “maybe” purchase something the prior day? In any case if it were me and there’s an option to cancel the deal I would do that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
they can't make any gas tanks using metal, since gas stations sell Corn Gas instead of the real thing
Metal tanks would rust from the inside & after a period of time, they would rust through

It's been EPA law for 40 years. I remember stations replacing tanks with fiberglass tanks when I was with Mobil.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree ...get a used tank and put on it. Shouldn't be that expensive. If you otherwise like the truck, I wouldn't let that sour you on the deal. Things happen.

But look the rest over real well too.