Fuel Tank Skid Plate Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any thoughts on fuel tank protection options for a 2500 6.4 non-power wagon?

The only two options I could find is the: 1) Power wagon factory setup 2) Maple Offroad cross members with factory plate

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OE "should" be a direct bolt-on as long as your x-member is drilled and threaded for the front of skid plate attachment. The rear of plate has two hanger bars that bolt up to where the rear tank hanger straps are attached. As for MOR, the skid plate doesn't cover the tank, it replaces the three bars on the PAX side, which you likely don't have either. I had bought this set up, but the MOR rear x-member was not a direct replacement. Not sure if it was because I have a Tradesman with PW package. Issue was the bar did not fit like the OE bar into the recess on bottom of tank, i.e. is was about 4-5 inches forward the recess on tank. Had I left as is, grit could have gotten between the two and eventfully put a hole in tank, or so I surmised. Had other issues as well with fit and form.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 2500 frames have holes in the sides but the pw has rivet nuts in some of the holes for bolting the crossmembers which is then how the fuel tank skid bolts to. with regular 2500 i think you have to put in the rivet nuts yourself then you could use the pw rear member and fuel tank skid. thats assuming a regular 2500 frame already has the rear mounting tabs . you would have to get under your truck and look. then the other thing is the fuel tanks the same 31gal? i dont know. pw tank has a recess for the crossmember

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So far I have verified all of the PW skid plate cross members are a direct bolt on, though I Had to add the M10 rivet nuts.

I am still working to verify the outer rear fuel tank mounting point. I know the 5th gens mount to a frame bracket that is not on my 2018 ram 2500.

OP
OP
TXTONKA

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In case anyone else was wondering. I finally verified that not all the 2500 frames have the outer rear mounting point for the fuel tank skid plate. At least my 2018 Laramie 2500 does not have the mounting point. Though if someone really wanted too have the skid plate, they could add a rivet nut in the crossmember above the tank with a spacer to connect the rear mounting point.

All the other skid plate items were a direct bolt on for my 2500's.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
@TXTONKA
Were you able to complete the fuel tank skid plate installation? I am in the process of adding it to my 2021 2500 Bighorn CC 4x4. Got everything but that outside rear mount point. Do you by chance have a good photo of it?...or anybody else who may be reading this have a photo? I also need to figure out the nut size on the tank strap. Figure I'll pick up a few sizes from Ace Hardware and do an elimination process.

I appreciate your time.