Fuel tank vent broken- new tank 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
My father in law has a 2016 bighorn 2500 6.4 short bed with 65k miles. For the past two months his gas cap light and assorted EVAP codes have been on. Dealer smoked the gas tank and diagnosed as broken vent on tank, non replaceable part! Needs a new tank, back ordered with no availability. Thanks Ram, a small little nipple vent sidelines his truck. Anyone else have this happen? I’m seeing maybe there is a fix for this if the nipple vent is still somewhat attached, you may be able to epoxy it on, but dealer said it’s gone. Any ideas?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

at 9:45 seconds, you can see the top of the tank that he just removed
One of the 2 large white things on top will have the vent connection on it
It will not be the fuel pump one that he is removing
It will be the one at the highest point of the fuel tank

I have not watch any video where they remove it, but it makes sense that it has to come out some how
It was not in there when they were first assembling the tank

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Why would the truck be "sidelined" for an evap leak? I would think it could absolutely be epoxy'd back on, dealer simply doesn't want to (understandably) accept the liability on it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how did it get broke in the first place ?

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
His truck is sidelined because it’s an out of state truck that is due for a new state registration and inspection in 4 weeks. He bought the truck from Carmax in California, which is probably his first mistake. He bought the carmax warranty and the dealer says they don’t want to work with the warranty because it’s too hard getting paid.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I’m guessing carmax doctored the vehicle to sell it, because the gas tank vent took a crap within 5k miles of him owning it. Maybe someone damaged it because the tank needed to be drained due to someone putting diesel in it. Who knows, I warned him not to buy used junk.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Thanks for the video, it looks like the vent releases vapors back into the EVAP system, all the connections on the rear were attached to hoses from the zoomed out view on the video. Hopefully the nipple section of the vent is stuck in a hose and can be reattached with epoxy.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The small vent tube on top of tank is non serviceable. I broke mine too. Not buying a new tank. I def it out glued a fitting in there and stuck the line back on. Never had an issue agin and it’s been there for 2 years.

Attachments

• 49866EBB-3F79-4BD6-8F27-70BAB89D21C7.jpeg
    49866EBB-3F79-4BD6-8F27-70BAB89D21C7.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 0DF952A8-13F3-4D94-995C-BB224205C070.jpeg
    0DF952A8-13F3-4D94-995C-BB224205C070.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Thanks for the explanation. That looks like a good fix, probably better than the original design, haha. I’ll give that a try if the Carmax warranty doesn’t pan out, which he will get his money back and I’ll fix it for three hours of shop time and $5 in fittings. That is good news it’s such a easy fix.

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
I had a new fuel pump installed in my 2017 1500 SLT 3.6L around the 170,000 mile mark. Shortly after that replacement, I started to get the the gas cap error message and idiot icon. I called the service guy back and he said that 1) this is a common issue with Ram trucks, and 2) it should not affect the running or performance of the truck. He told me to swing buy, and he cleared the error code. I then bought a new $25 gas cap, just in case. Around the same time I scanned this forum and read that many, many other Ram owners also experience this issue, and some have gone to great expense to have it "fixed" only to have the error code pop up its ugly head yet again. Ram is well aware of this issue, and they agree that it does not affect the running or performance of the truck, so it's a back-burner issue for them to attend to. The forum messages I read gave two temporary remedies. 1) Get yourself an error code reader that allows you to clear error codes, or 2) disconnect the (-) negative battery terminal for 30 seconds to clear the error code. I did the second option to great success. The only thing I need to do afterward is reset the time on the trucks clock. That gas cap error popped up again a few months later. A 10mm wrench and 5 minutes is all it takes. I have had to do this maybe three times over a 50,000 mile range. Don't let the dealer service con you into an expensive repair before you just reset the error code. It will likely pop up again, but not for quite a while, and if it does, reset it again.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
The first time I had the dealer reset his error codes I bought him a new gas cap also. The litany of EVAP codes and gas cap light came back within a week. It’s an issue here because the state robs its citizens each and every year with a full inspection for minimum $80.

They make the mechanics have computers for their tracking database, probably cost $1000 for a computer—- completely justifiable to raise the inspection cost from $40 to $80 forever! (Sarcasm) Just another form of regulatory inflation allowing crooks to steal more.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The first time I had the dealer reset his error codes I bought him a new gas cap also. The litany of EVAP codes and gas cap light came back within a week. It’s an issue here because the state robs its citizens each and every year with a full inspection for minimum $80.

They make the mechanics have computers for their tracking database, probably cost $1000 for a computer—- completely justifiable to raise the inspection cost from $40 to $80 forever! (Sarcasm) Just another form of regulatory inflation allowing crooks to steal more.
Wah wah wah

this-is-my-tiny-violin-it-plays-for-you.jpg

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I had this happen when a rodent ate my vent line while parked at the airport. I did not believe the dealer until I saw the pics. Replaced the tank. If it happens again, I'll splice in a fix rather than replacing the tank. Make sure your dealer is is recording your truck as "out of service" or whatever the term is for priority. I can't get past the "AOG" from the aviation industry.