fuel tank vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it necessary to replace the fuel tank or can the vent be replaced without buying a new tank?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is it necessary to replace the fuel tank or can the vent be replaced without buying a new tank?

Besides replacing the fuel tank there is not any way to replace the vent. What exactly is wrong with your tank vent? Did the vent hose nipple break off? They do get pretty brittle over time.

If you have decided to replace the fuel tank I suggest hitting the local salvage yards to locate a donor. Also, if you have a little mechanical ability you can make a new vent. I have drilled holes in several tanks to install a new nipple. I use 90 degree barbed vacuum fittings. Drill a hole in the tank. Press in barbed vacuum fitting and seat with RTV or epoxy and once dry attach the vent hose. Just an idea.

OP
OP
J

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hose from the tank to the filler tube is missing. I'll have to drop the tank enough to see if the vent is there or if it is broken off. I will try to repair it if it is broken. Thanks for the info.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The hose from the tank to the filler tube is missing. I'll have to drop the tank enough to see if the vent is there or if it is broken off. I will try to repair it if it is broken. Thanks for the info.
No problem. Let us know how you make out. I have seen and repaired a ton of broken vents in these fuel tanks especially on the older 3rd Gen trucks.

svtnos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced the pump in my truck over the weekend.. only thing i can tribute is be carefull and patient with those "quick dissconnect" fittings they put on the tank.. i fought with the tank vent line for awhile because chrylser put some garbage fittings on it..

KIDRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
There is a common problem in 3rd gens where the tank has these steel balls that come up and block the flow of fuel in and out, like the truck has been crashed, to prevent fire. Anyhow, just throwing it out there if you are having problems putting fuel into it. My 04 had to have the entire tank replaced because of this. About $700 on Rock Auto but they are out of stock most of the time since this problem is so common.

Good luck.