Fuel water warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken crotts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got a fuel water warning light a couple of weeks ago after washing my truck. Changed the fuel filters and the light went away. It happened again when going through the car wash. This time i drained the filters and the light went away. Now it is coming on while driving in the rain. Has anyone had this and solved it by sealing or replacing a fuel water sensor? If so on which filter?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I got a fuel water warning light a couple of weeks ago after washing my truck. Changed the fuel filters and the light went away. It happened again when going through the car wash. This time i drained the filters and the light went away. Now it is coming on while driving in the rain. Has anyone had this and solved it by sealing or replacing a fuel water sensor? If so on which filter?

Sorry for the trouble, @ken crotts! If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members, we kindly recommend addressing this with your local Ram dealer. If you are in need of any additional support for that process, our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Brandon Freeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Did you solve your problem I’m having the same issues 14 3500 cclb

OP
OP
K

ken crotts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am currently suspecting the wiring that attaches to the rear fuel filter. Since you have to unscrew the sensor from the filter the shielding is compromised and I believe my be allowing water to enter the sensor connection. I am going to cut it and install a water tight connector, reseal the wiring harness at the filter connection and see if that works. I'll be able to disconnect the sensor wiring before unscrewing the connector to on the housing. Fingers crossed.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can unplug the sensor wire where it’s attached to the frame above the filter. I’ve only changed my fuel filters 1 time and that’s where I disconnected mine before I took it off. The WIF light blinked 1 time after that so I drained it and got 1 drop of water out of the rear filter.

Sherri Hawkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Engine
Hemi
I WENT TO DEALER SHIP AND BOUT A FUEL SENSOR AND GOING TO PUT IT IN BECAUSE I KEPT HAVING THIS PROBLEM
HOPING THIS IS GOING TO SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not exactly sure how the connector is on the newer trucks, but on my 95 I had to unplug the connector for the WIF to change the fuel filter. I made sure there was dielectric grease in the connector and never had an issue.

OP
OP
K

ken crotts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is the same. I did not unplug it a couple of times and did not grease the original. I have now.

lears

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
2014 with 135,000 and when it rains the sensor goes off. Coated the wires with liquid tape. I'll try the grease today when I change the oil

Sailing Santa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I disconnected BOTH sensor wires, front and rear, and still have my WIF light on, what’s next? WD40 sprayed all over the harness to displace any residual water. I’m stumped.

Robert Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I get the "Water in Fuel Filter" message during a hard rain or just today got the message after pulling out of an automated car wash. Does anyone have advice on how to protect the fuel sensor?