Fueling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christ Conley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ram 1500 st v6

So for the past few months every time I go to fill my tank I get about a gallon in and the nozzle clicks. I can hear it filling up in the neck like it’s almost full to trigger the pumps sensor. Takes forever trying to fill my tank. No check engine light is on so it wasn’t urgent to fix it over the winter. Been looking everywhere and called dealerships and no one has an answer. Heard the filler neck is a different angle now but I’ve had the truck for almost 3 years and it wasn’t and issue for the first 2 years.

I’ve tried disconnecting the evap tube and it still didn’t work. Anyone else having this issue??

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do on my 18. It depends where I go for gas. Some places are better than others. I have trouble with the big plastic top part of the gas nozzle handle. It doesn't allow the nozzle to go far enough into the neck.

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram 1500 st v6

So for the past few months every time I go to fill my tank I get about a gallon in and the nozzle clicks. I can hear it filling up in the neck like it’s almost full to trigger the pumps sensor. Takes forever trying to fill my tank. No check engine light is on so it wasn’t urgent to fix it over the winter. Been looking everywhere and called dealerships and no one has an answer. Heard the filler neck is a different angle now but I’ve had the truck for almost 3 years and it wasn’t and issue for the first 2 years.

I’ve tried disconnecting the evap tube and it still didn’t work. Anyone else having this issue??
What year?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Christ Conley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Right I’ve seen that but it’s just weird that it didn’t happen day one of when I had it. It took 2 years. Figured something would be failing

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That article is partially incorrect
Ram changed the positioning of the fuel filler tubes Vent Tube, to attach right below fastening ring at the top of the fill tube

gKS5u0.jpg
gcbm5r.jpg

Right after they made the change in the location of the vent tube, some places like Costco changed all of the nozzles from being fairly straight to a nozzle with tighter curve to them

Q: Why do the nozzles at Costco gas stations seem different?

A: In most states, Costco has transitioned to a new, safer “drip less” nozzle that features an interlock boot on the nozzle spout. The new nozzles will only dispense fuel if the boot is securely seated on the vehicle fuel port. This feature improves both safety and the environment, which is why we’ve made the change. The nozzle also prevents spills, drips, and “burps” that can release gas into the environment. Or worse, onto our members.

The new nozzles make it more difficult to “top off,” or continuing to pump after the nozzle automatically shuts off. Topping off is prohibited in most states because it is a primary cause of gas station spills.

Our attendants are always available to provide assistance, so if needed, please ask for their help to refuel your particular vehicle. Although the nozzle boot may take some time to get used to for some members, we believe the added safety and environmental benefit makes the new nozzles a significant improvement in gas station technology.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 5.7, 32 gallon tank. Was always a pain since new. Gradually got worse over 3 years to the point gas would spit back out like it was full. Dealer replaced my tank. Only filled up 4xs since, but good so far

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the same problem and they switched out the filler tube and made things worse ... it's either the evap canister or the actual fuel tank that has resolved the issue for others who I know that have this same problem ...

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Mine just started doing the same thing. A gallon or so at a time. Out of nowhere. I called the dealer. They said it’s probably the tank, but Chrysler makes them do the filler neck first. Because it’s cheaper. Then if that doesn’t fix the problem, they will change the tank. l have an appointment tomorrow. Will keep everybody posted

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Mine just started doing the same thing. A gallon or so at a time. Out of nowhere. I called the dealer. They said it’s probably the tank, but Chrysler makes them do the filler neck first. Because it’s cheaper. Then if that doesn’t fix the problem, they will change the tank. l have an appointment tomorrow. Will keep everybody posted

Well at least you got them to say that they have to do the filler neck first lol ... with me I can't even get them to make an appointment on my days off .... im going to probably just end up showing up and raising hell now ...

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny. My 18 does the same thing......sometimes. Seems a though if I try to fill when it's REALLY low, it's a PITA. If it's above 1/4 tank, it's OK. And I always use one of the same 2 stations so locations are the same.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Funny. My 18 does the same thing......sometimes. Seems a though if I try to fill when it's REALLY low, it's a PITA. If it's above 1/4 tank, it's OK. And I always use one of the same 2 stations so locations are the same.

There was a new Chevron that opened up about a year ago, I was able to go there for almost 5 months and had no problems with the pumps there ... now all of them do it ... I think the pumps also have an evap system that should be looked at every once in a while ....

I think when overfill our tanks it causes the pumps system to go bad just like our trucks evap canisters ... just a thought ...

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update.

As I suspected, the filler neck was not the issue. They ordered the fuel tank.

On an unrelated issue. Dealer rotated tires. Front to back, back to front. Terrible vibration at 60 mph. Went back. They rotated them back to their original positions and the vibration is gone. So I’m to assume I have a rear tire that is to blame as you really won’t feel it when it’s on the back, but, when rotated to the front was a huge issue. Correct?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Update.

As I suspected, the filler neck was not the issue. They ordered the fuel tank.

On an unrelated issue. Dealer rotated tires. Front to back, back to front. Terrible vibration at 60 mph. Went back. They rotated them back to their original positions and the vibration is gone. So I’m to assume I have a rear tire that is to blame as you really won’t feel it when it’s on the back, but, when rotated to the front was a huge issue. Correct?

Nice !!! How did they admit it was the fuel tank and not the filler neck .... I need this dealership for mine lol ..

And yes, you will feel less vibrations when a tire is in the back ...that is why you try to keep the 2 wheels with the least weights on the front ... of course when you rotate without rebalancing them you will have issues, that is why it is best to always rebalance wheels when you rotate ....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The dealerships never send the Techs to school for the Hunter Road Force Balance machines that most of the dealerships have.
It is a close to perfect machine for wheels & tires, but it does not operate itself.

I think that the building custodian runs the machine most of the time

One of your glued on weights tore off & the Tech did not notice it, that is why i go to Discount Tire instead of having the dealership rotate my tires. In all honesty, i don't even want the dealership to touch my tires & wheels, not even to check the tire pressure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The dealerships never send the Techs to school for the Hunter Road Force Balance machines that most of the dealerships have.
It is a close to perfect machine for wheels & tires, but it does not operate itself.

I think that the building custodian runs the machine most of the time

One of your glued on weights tore off & the Tech did not notice it, that is why i go to Discount Tire instead of having the dealership rotate my tires. In all honesty, i don't even want the dealership to touch my tires & wheels, not even to check the tire pressure

You ain't joken' about that man .... I really don't understand how dealerships allow such low quality work to continue especially from their techs ... I guess they really are about saving money when it comes to paying their workers and bringing in more money with their customers and not quality work overall ....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the dealership would pay the fee for 2 Techs to go to the 1 or 2 days school put on by Hunter, they could in turn teach some other Techs how to properly operate the Hunter tire machine.

If did that, then they would have happier customers & the word would be spread & they would get a return on the investment through more tire customers

some of the classes & locations

https://www.hunter.com/training/available-classes/?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
If the dealership would pay the fee for 2 Techs to go to the 1 or 2 days school put on by Hunter, they could in turn teach some other Techs how to properly operate the Hunter tire machine.

If did that, then they would have happier customers & the word would be spread & they would get a return on the investment through more tire customers

Or have a tech who travels teaching them how to use it ... it's really not that hard to use the Hunters man ... they are just too damn stupid and don't think ...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Yes Hunter does have Local Representatives
That may give crash courses
The Techs would not get a Certification for crash courses, but they would gain knowledge