Fueling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yes Hunter does have Local Representatives
That may give crash courses
The Techs would not get a Certification for crash courses, but they would gain knowledge

But with having to get a Certification would mean the would need to pay those techs more money which is probably why they don't get them certified lol ....

I was a porter for Honda years ago back in the mid-late 90s and I got the chance to start doing alignments for them because the shop manager was a friend's Dad, he showed me how to do it all, then he asked his Manager if he could send me to get certified and the dude said no because then I would have to be paid more lol ....

Most service techs at dealerships only last a few months if that, they are expendable because they really only use them to change oil, oil/air filters, rotate tires and add air to the tires lol ..... above that you have to have certifications for anything else .... they rather pay a kid minimum wage which is nothing ..... they will go through those techs like a muddahfawka!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Each Blue Seal ( ASE ) Independent Shop & all Dealerships that have the ASE seal displayed.

Repair Businesses

(Dealerships, Independent Repair Shops, Fleet Garages, etc.)

• At least 75% of technicians performing diagnosis and repairs must be ASE Certified
  • Each area of service offered in the shop must be covered by at least one ASE Certified technician
Parts Businesses

(Retailers, Jobbers, Wads, etc.)

• At least 75% of parts counterpersons must be ASE Certified
  • Each area of service offered must be covered by at least one ASE Certified parts counterperson

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It gets better. I paid to have the two wheels that I suspected had balance issues, Road Forced balanced before they rotated them. Now, I know I’m a little crazy in that I paint the tire weights after a tire balance. I have a blacked out Ram and I just can’t understand why they don’t make black tire weights for black wheels. I would even pay a little more just to not have bright silver weights on a black wheel. Looks like crap. Anyway. When I got the truck back, the two wheels that were supposed to have been balanced had both black weights and new bright silver weights on them. Which means instead of removing all of the existing weights then starting from scratch before attempting to balance, the tech just added some more weights and called it a day. When I brought the truck back for them to put the wheels back to their original locations, I brought that to the attention of the service advisor. He pretty much admitted that yes, all of the weights should have been removed prior to the rebalance.

So, I have another appointment next week. They are going to install the new fuel tank and remove all of the weights on all 4 wheels and attempt to properly balance them this time. They are even giving me a car for the day so they can keep it for as long as it takes to get it right.

We shall see. Update to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
It gets better. I paid to have the two wheels that I suspected had balance issues, Road Forced balanced before they rotated them. Now, I know I’m a little crazy in that I paint the tire weights after a tire balance. I have a blacked out Ram and I just can’t understand why they don’t make black tire weights for black wheels. I would even pay a little more just to not have bright silver weights on a black wheel. Looks like crap. Anyway. When I got the truck back, the two wheels that were supposed to have been balanced had both black weights and new bright silver weights on them. Which means instead of removing all of the existing weights then starting from scratch before attempting to balance, the tech just added some more weights and called it a day. When I brought the truck back for them to put the wheels back to their original locations, I brought that to the attention of the service advisor. He pretty much admitted that yes, all of the weights should have been removed prior to the rebalance.

So, I have another appointment next week. They are going to install the new fuel tank and remove all of the weights on all 4 wheels and attempt to properly balance them this time. They are even giving me a car for the day so they can keep it for as long as it takes to get it right.

We shall see. Update to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh man im over here lol .... I just don't understand what goes through these kid's heads ... and even some of the grown men lol ...but at least they are going to replace the fuel tank

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Going through the same thing as we speak. Filler neck on order, has been in service for just over 2 years. I will post what happens.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They changed the neck today, I will fill it tomorrow and we will see.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If anybody wants to go through the steps to properly diagnose one of these trucks that has problems filling the tank here is the warranty guide for this issue. Here is a link to my OneDrive to the Mopar PDF. I tried to post it in my post here but the site says the PDF file is too large. This PDF has a ton of good information when it comes to identifying the fuel tank components and how to properly diagnose a
"hard to fill" issue.

If you click on the link you can view the PDF without downloading it or you can download and save for future viewing.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it’s been a while but just realized I never posted a follow up. The new fuel tank was installed and it solved the problem. She fills with no problem now. Just a tip that the dealer rep gave me. He said a lot of people tend to try to fill these tanks to 100% capacity. You know, when the pump clicks off, you try to put just a little bit more fuel in. I know I’ve done it. He said it pushes the check valves way up and also spills some extra into the charcoal canister. He said both are no good for these tanks. He could just be blowing smoke up my *** but since the new tank was installed, under warranty, I haven’t done that anymore. One click, I’m done. Just thought I’d pass that along.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey. That’s pretty cool how it automatically put a *** over *****. Lol. Technology.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. It did it again. This time a spaced out the letters and went all caps. And it still sniffed it out. Impressive.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nothing has changed, going back in Tuesday. This sucks.
If the problem still exist then there are only a small number of scenarios that exist.

1) The dealer assumed the tank was the issue and assumed the MFCV was in the tank and not part of the pump.

2) The MFCV is actually the problem and it's part of the pump but the dealer diagnosed it wrong.

3) The fresh air vent/vent hose is restricted and it attaches to the vent filter at the filler neck and the ESIM Switch at the right rear corner of the tank behind the EVAP Canister.

4) The EVAP Canister has a restriction.

The MFCV, or Multi Function Control Valve, can be located in two different places. One can be part of the fuel tank and the other is part of the fuel pump. If you look at the top of the tank and you do not see the MFCV then you know it is in the pump.

Let us know what they did to fix it.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now they ordered a fuel tank. I will let you know how this works.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting the new fuel tank tomorrow , I will let you know how it goes.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope the tank solves your problem like it did mine. Keep us posted.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had an appointment for last Thursday early a.m. , took it in had to get a loaner( for a fuel tank) ? So I stop by there on Friday , tech needs a gasket (why weren't all gaskets ordered with the tank) won't be ready until Monday. I go to get it Monday and the check engine light is on. He wants me to leave it, I insist the tech check it to see if something needs plugged in. Well zippity do a plug was hanging he plugged it in and cleared the code. 5 days to change a fuel tank Bull Shot , I hate stealers!!!!!!!!!

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes you want an electric vehicle, but then the battery probably won't fully charge or charge slowly. you can't win!

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Ram 1500 st v6

So for the past few months every time I go to fill my tank I get about a gallon in and the nozzle clicks. I can hear it filling up in the neck like it’s almost full to trigger the pumps sensor. Takes forever trying to fill my tank. No check engine light is on so it wasn’t urgent to fix it over the winter. Been looking everywhere and called dealerships and no one has an answer. Heard the filler neck is a different angle now but I’ve had the truck for almost 3 years and it wasn’t and issue for the first 2 years.

I’ve tried disconnecting the evap tube and it still didn’t work. Anyone else having this issue??

Ram 1500 st v6

So for the past few months every time I go to fill my tank I get about a gallon in and the nozzle clicks. I can hear it filling up in the neck like it’s almost full to trigger the pumps sensor. Takes forever trying to fill my tank. No check engine light is on so it wasn’t urgent to fix it over the winter. Been looking everywhere and called dealerships and no one has an answer. Heard the filler neck is a different angle now but I’ve had the truck for almost 3 years and it wasn’t and issue for the first 2 years.

I’ve tried disconnecting the evap tube and it still didn’t work. Anyone else having this issue??
I have a 2018 V6 Big Horn. Bought it February 2021. Had no issue until September 2021. Now I can only put less than $1 of gas in at a time and have to keep repeating until i think it is close to full. Takes forever. They need to do a recall. I filed a complaint with nhtsa.org. Maybe if more people would file a complaint then they might do something about it.

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 2018 V6 Big Horn. Bought it February 2021. Had no issue until September 2021. Now I can only put less than $1 of gas in at a time and have to keep repeating until i think it is close to full. Takes forever. They need to do a recall. I filed a complaint with nhtsa.org. Maybe if more people would file a complaint then they might do something about it.
UPDATE. I contacted Ram Care and they just said I have to take it to a dealer to get diagnosed before they will help. I called dealer and they say $120 to diagnose only but if they do the work they deduct that from work.

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
If the problem still exist then there are only a small number of scenarios that exist.

1) The dealer assumed the tank was the issue and assumed the MFCV was in the tank and not part of the pump.

2) The MFCV is actually the problem and it's part of the pump but the dealer diagnosed it wrong.

3) The fresh air vent/vent hose is restricted and it attaches to the vent filter at the filler neck and the ESIM Switch at the right rear corner of the tank behind the EVAP Canister.

4) The EVAP Canister has a restriction.

The MFCV, or Multi Function Control Valve, can be located in two different places. One can be part of the fuel tank and the other is part of the fuel pump. If you look at the top of the tank and you do not see the MFCV then you know it is in the pump.

Let us know what they did to fix it.
Why does everyone post that the entire tank is replaced? Why not just replace the MFCV? Do all tanks come with the MFCV bolt into them?