Fueling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cancunlsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same issue and it depends on where i go to fuel up. Some of the pumps are a little different and it wont allow the nozzel to go down far enough to get the correct angle.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some fuel nozzles have a straighter tube
Others tubes have too much of a curve to enter the fuel tube on your vehicle

( why am i picturing something else )
it must be that late night tv ad

Produce_Squash_Yellow-Crookneck__60256.1593788794.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you don't Top Off, you will not trigger any safety devices, like the Roll Over Valves, the MFCV device, or things like the gas getting into the Charcoal Cannister & breaking down the charcoal, which triggers a signal to the emission sensors.

Topping off can also cause gas to spill out onto your beautiful paint job
Is a couple of ounces going to get you that much further down the road
Or is it really that important for the gas meter to read an even number, or dime or dollar amount.

Are you really like that person that just has to push the Cross Walk button more than once, because you don't think the first time sent an electric signal to the control box ?
Do you look down at the sidewalk to make sure that you don't step on a crack or trowel mark ?

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The problem is the spring on the rollover valve. The valve is located at the inlet of the fuel tank. It is part of the tank and cannot be replaced. The spring keeps the valve closed at all times. When refueling, the weight, pressure of the gas, is used to open the valve. Over time the valve sticks, causing the fueling issues. To fix this problem, the spring has to be removed. It is a very light spring and can be removed by snagging the top few coils with an angled scribe point and gently pulling it out. The valve will still operate if there is a rollover. The actual tank opening is only about 3/4", so reduced fueling rate will eliminate the fuel splash back. This can be done with out removing the tank, but very tight space. Have a expanded explanation posted on another post, (Fuel Filler).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It gets better. I paid to have the two wheels that I suspected had balance issues, Road Forced balanced before they rotated them. Now, I know I’m a little crazy in that I paint the tire weights after a tire balance. I have a blacked out Ram and I just can’t understand why they don’t make black tire weights for black wheels.

I had a chance to buy a Road Force 9700 last year from a dealer guy I know (Gm was making them upgrade to the latest RF balancer). Was a good deal. I read through the entire manual front to back how to set up, calibrate and use. It opened my eyes. It's a superior piece of equipment, but also fairly complicated to fully understand and properly use. Which is why shops charge more for it. But it also would be super Easy to forget the steps if ya don't use it frequently.

I bet most of your average techs in a shop don't know how to properly use the Road Force balancer, and may likely just balace as best they know how ...and probably bypass the road force features. I would ask the manager when was the last time it was calibrated? And also, if it was factory calibrated? And if the guy doing the work has been trained on it ..and when. Seems extreme, but then they know you're on to them, and hopefully they'll put their best guy on it. If they can't tell you when it was last calibrated, I would wait till they come up with that information. They should have a certificate or some documentation.

You almost need to go to a darn good tire shop with a guy who regularly uses the RFB frequently enough .....and stand there and watch them do it. Otherwise, they might be using it in the same manner as a regular balancer.

Significant shop turn-over and the operator just won't understand it. And shops don't usually put their 'best' and smartest techs balancing tires. It really takes a guy who's willing to dig into the literature and follow it. Yes the screen does prompt ya, but there are a number of do's and don't's. At the end of the day i decided against buying it and just use what I have.

Last edited:

frankpalazzolo02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram 1500 st v6

So for the past few months every time I go to fill my tank I get about a gallon in and the nozzle clicks. I can hear it filling up in the neck like it’s almost full to trigger the pumps sensor. Takes forever trying to fill my tank. No check engine light is on so it wasn’t urgent to fix it over the winter. Been looking everywhere and called dealerships and no one has an answer. Heard the filler neck is a different angle now but I’ve had the truck for almost 3 years and it wasn’t and issue for the first 2 years.

I’ve tried disconnecting the evap tube and it still didn’t work. Anyone else having this issue??

My 2020 Ram is currently at the dealer for this very issue. This is the 4th time I’ve had it in to the dealer. They’ve replaced the fuel tank, filler neck, vent canister & tubing each time. Still unable to put gas in it. Truck has been there for 15 days this time. Reached out to Ram Customer Care and opened a case. It’s been 9 days since I’ve opened the case. Ram Customer Care has yet to this day contacted me. I’ve called 4 times within the last 9 days for a call back about my truck.
To say that I am very disappointed in Ram Customer Service is an understatement. This is the 8th Stellantis/FCA/Dodge/Ram vehicle purchased in my household. I’m now looking at purchasing outside of the Stellantis family of vehicles. Ram Customer Care is a joke. The fuel filling issue is a known problem that Ram refuses to acknowledge.

Best of luck to you in getting yours repaired. Like I said, mines been in 4 times for almost a total of 5 weeks now. It’s not right to be making payments on a truck that’s not drivable. I was given a loaner (Cherokee). If I wanted a Cherokee I would have bought one. I’m 6’1” and 250lbs. Word of the wise: no one my size (or bigger) should buy a Cherokee.