Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'd get a tune and roll back that EPA garbage as soon as fiscally possible IMO. That being said out here the state inspection doesn't include any sort of emissions checks... at all. Unless you live in one of the overpopulated ****** areas where all the "new Texans" are moving to.
As soon as that settlement check comes in I'm at least doing a better emissions compliant tune. I'd like to fully delete it, but I live in Jersey and it may as well be California. Soo I'm exploring my options, lame.

How's that eibach **** working out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Soooo here's my quick photo chop on where my head is for next round of mods. These 20s look a bit out of place for now, but once I get the new TPMS installed and a balance on em I'll get them blacked out. A trip to the tint and vinyl shop is in order once I get a chance and I'll color match the upper bumper, black out my chrome and get my door pillars done. Gotta figure out some fogs before I wrap the bumpers, but it's gonna be aesthetics for a bit. My house needs some serious work so money is going where it's important. Going for a nice and simple clean look. Gonna be pounding pavement for work and road tripping for the foreseeable future. Blehhh209c657c59e958d80ff0c668e5570830.jpgbdff04f1e2961063da3556bbd8dcf422.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As soon as that settlement check comes in I'm at least doing a better emissions compliant tune. I'd like to fully delete it, but I live in Jersey and it may as well be California. Soo I'm exploring my options, lame.

How's that eibach **** working out

I should be installing them weekend after next. I'm just gonna run clip #3 and say the hell with it. Whatever it ends up at is what it ends up at until I can get something better down the road.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I should be installing them weekend after next. I'm just gonna run clip #3 and say the hell with it. Whatever it ends up at is what it ends up at until I can get something better down the road.
I hear ya. That's how I ended up with most of the parts on my truck. Chuck it in the **** it bucket and carry on. I mean ****, I put car tires on my truck [emoji23]

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So it's been a minute since I updated this. Haven't done much aside from plastidip the bumper plastic and drive it. Preparing for things down the road I jacked the truck up about 2" in the rear to see how the truck would sit if I did the superlift 140 rear coils. This will be my next mod, but it looks like I'll need some shocks and to drop track bar as well as extend sway bar links. Not cheap. I could definitely swing everything but the new shocks right away....im really considering selling these 6112s and goin back to stock with a spacer for a while to save up for a different set up.....[emoji48]

Coils $150
Carli T.B bracket $75
Shocks $300 ish
Sway Bar links $125?

Damn is it expensive to do things right.

Pics to show the rake if rear was @ 41.5" and how much shock of have left. One day this will happen. 14bdfe1daf1d99474825ea434eade6a9.jpg24691e4116bf3d708102bacdcf344773.jpg85d96d60fadb7589ee4348a42dd520d3.jpg

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yea that ain't a whole lot of shock left at all. If I ever end up doing the same thing with those springs it will be Icon's or King's more than likely which means $$$

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea that ain't a whole lot of shock left at all. If I ever end up doing the same thing with those springs it will be Icon's or King's more than likely which means $$$
Maybe 2" max, I'm surprised. I'm sure it'd be OK for running highway but might still top out here and there. I don't hate the raid either and that's st the max height those coils would lift me.

Ughhhhh if I wasn't paying everything off I'd buy all the goodies. But being almost totally debt free is worth more in the long run......Damm you adulting

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yeah, Bilstein says those "off the shelf" rear 5100s work with up to 1" rear lift. So, the 2" Superlift coils would probably be too much to ask of the 5100s. It is interesting though, the "off the shelf" extended length of the rear 5100s are 26.73 & the Icon 2.0 are 27.05 (pretty sure those numbers were from shock surplus). But, Icon says theirs will work with up to a 3" lift?

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah, Bilstein says those "off the shelf" rear 5100s work with up to 1" rear lift. So, the 2" Superlift coils would probably be too much to ask of the 5100s. It is interesting though, the "off the shelf" extended length of the rear 5100s are 26.73 & the Icon 2.0 are 27.05 (pretty sure those numbers were from shock surplus). But, Icon says theirs will work with up to a 3" lift?

I did some random searches for rear shocks. I'd need a 28-29" shock to comfortably run those coils. Rough country has a 3-5" lift shock that's 28" +/- a bit and their 6" shock is 30". Mopar specs a 29" shock with those 2" coils. It's all over the place with these companies. Right now at effectively stock ride height my bilsteins are about 23" bolt to bolt center. I might try to swing it......

Specs seem to be all over depending on company. Hell guys run oem shocks and up to 1.5" rear spacers so honestly I can prob live with the limited down travel for a bit. It's not like I'm really taking the truck offroad right now anyway.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hodge you can run Rancho's in the back, 9000 series RS999058, 29.74 extended 18.24 compressed, throw 2" bumpstops in the back and you'll be all set. Also the Teraflex rear links i have will work for 2" lift and they're like $70.
The Ranchos are like $100 each and they're good for a work truck or for whatever time you'll be flexing the truck in full anwyhere.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want Fox without reservoirs, then Fox 985-24-020 will work with those springs, 29.55 extended 18.45 compressed, same 2" bumpstops deal.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hodge you can run Rancho's in the back, 9000 series RS999058, 29.74 extended 18.24 compressed, throw 2" bumpstops in the back and you'll be all set. Also the Teraflex rear links i have will work for 2" lift and they're like $70.
The Ranchos are like $100 each and they're good for a work truck or for whatever time you'll be flexing the truck in full anwyhere.
How'd you like the RS9000's for road use. Honest to god right now I'm not gonna be picky. I am more focused on paying alot of things off. Just threw 5k at a debt this morning. I have a package coming from jb1 with a bunch of random hardware I'll need. So it's down to coils and shocks now.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How'd you like the RS9000's for road use. Honest to god right now I'm not gonna be picky. I am more focused on paying alot of things off. Just threw 5k at a debt this morning. I have a package coming from jb1 with a bunch of random hardware I'll need. So it's down to coils and shocks now.

You'll find them behaving like a 5100's at #5 on the knob, set them at #7 if you want to run them hard on the dirt, #7-8 if you run heavy loads. At setting# 3-4 they'll feel as cushy as stock. They're not offroad shocks but like a 5100's they'll work fine on the dirt as long as you remember they're street shocks with a little adjusting knob that will make them cushy/firm depending on your likes :)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You'll find them behaving like a 5100's at #5 on the knob, set them at #7 if you want to run them hard on the dirt, #7-8 if you run heavy loads. At setting# 3-4 they'll feel as cushy as stock. They're not offroad shocks but like a 5100's they'll work fine on the dirt as long as you remember they're street shocks with a little adjusting knob that will make them cushy/firm depending on your likes :)
Fair enough. I surely know the limitations to small diameter smooth body off the shelf stuff. Most I'll see is a bit of broken highway, and gravel road type junk. In the future I'd like to step into 2.5" coilovers front and resi rear shocks, but that money is being funneled into other things right now. Life happens. As long as I can get a nice ride on the **** roads were all accustomed to anymore I'll be more than happy for now.

Down the road I'll be giving thuren my money. [emoji41]

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I threw in a couple extra parts in the box for ya, dont buy anything till you open the box.

:favorites37:

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I've been pretty stagnant here for a while, figure it's time for an update.....

Life has been goin about 2000mph in a good way so the truck has been put into a background role and pretty much taken a back seat. I finally hit a position in my career where I can dig myself out of my debts and that has taken priority. That being said, everyone needs a hobby and I'm not at the point where cutting my lawn is my fix so I still need to love on the truck. Just I've been planning my mods for my needs vs wants.

My new suspension is going to be a Frankenstein of ****, so bear with me as I'm trying some things out. Purely for curiosity sake and it fits my budget. [emoji16]

Rear coils - superlift 140s (1.5-2" lift)
Rear 5125s ( from JB1)
Miscellaneous brackets (may or may not need)
Front Maxtrac 1.5" spacer + 6112s set to 1" ( this is where it gets interesting)

So after my suspension has broke in and settled I've come across a couple nit picks I wanted to address. My rear coils are too soft for how I use my truck so a set of progressive lift coils were a no brainer. 5125s from JB1 plus some correction stuff for sway bar, track bar, bunps and brake lines etc in case I need it were also sourced. Oh and those sweet thuren shock nuts because screw fighting with that stubby wrench again. This setup should work just as mine does now, but handle loads better and the rare time I get to play offroad as well. I've had no complaints aside from load capacity for my uses. If I were hitting the dirt hard, I'd be looking at a better shock combo but I run 40k + a year highway so this is my compromise.

With my rear end pretty much figured out I had 1 gripe about my 6112s I just couldn't get past. Under my truck (ecodiesel)I have them maxxed out in preload and am at about 2.3" lift. Now anyone who knows suspension knows that's a recipe for a bit of a harsh ride. Now don't get me wrong, these 6112s are great, but the smaller stuff on road is meh at best and I can feel the excessive preload over certain bumps that unload the suspension quickly. Thanks to ram1500rsm and his database of strut lengths, as well as some digging on here and Google I'm gonna try a combo out for giggles.

I remeasured my down travel from ride height and it's somewhere between 2.25 and 2.5". Not shabby but there's room to improve. Looking at all the specs I could find I'll reference kings 2.5 coilovers as they are the longest setup I can confirm with multiple sources.

6112s - 21.5" extended 15.25 collapsed"
Kings- 22.5" extended 16.84 collapsed"

Now a 1.5" spacer is gonna be about 1.125" thickness, making my 6112s 22.6" overall length. If I pull my preload and set it to 1" from 2.3" that effectively adds 1.25" of down travel back into the shock while keeping my extended and collapsed numbers within specs, as well as keep my lift up front to about 2.5. Compared to kings at 3" of down travel and icons at 3.5" I'll fall right into the middle of them and should have a more ideal preload setting, similar to about 2" under a hemi instead of maxxed out. Plus it only takes my time and a cheap spacer to try it out.

Now my springs need to show up so I can try this out. Again big thanks to Nick@gotexhaust for always being helpful with questions and JB1 for helping me out with all the parts i needed for my rear suspension. b34496b2cd5ec972d411f3e666dbe8c0.jpga843752cd47d3930d40db867ab06b597.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear things are going well. let us know when your ready for those Kings, we can hook you up!

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Glad to hear things are going well. let us know when your ready for those Kings, we can hook you up!
How bout a hookup on a beater car so I don't have to run grandpa tires and don't put another bazillion miles on this damn thing! [emoji41]