Full list of rebuild - anything else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I’ve posted here a lot in the past couple of weeks, and I’m sick of myself posting, so I know some of you are. I’m just terrified I’ve made bad decisions on parts, or it’s not going to turn out right.. But here is what I’m having done. Does anyone have any other recommendations while I’m at all of this? This truck is my baby, and I just want to make sure!! Thank you in advance..

2018 ram Express lifter failure.. Here’s what I’m having done..

Greene Racing 2.5 HL V2 Thump Cam
Hellcat lifters
Circle D 3400 stall converter
MMX 6.4 Intake manifold kit (running 6.4 injectors)
S&B CAI
Oem oil pump
Diablo Sport Trinity 2 Combo tuner/pcm
ARH Headers/full system exhaust
Check timing
446 Champion plugs gapped to .44

Attachments

• 85D8C12B-ABB9-47CA-AF5C-86E4B4F054B4.jpeg
    85D8C12B-ABB9-47CA-AF5C-86E4B4F054B4.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 6C1734F6-250C-4AA0-8A4E-429FE33E18C3.jpeg
    6C1734F6-250C-4AA0-8A4E-429FE33E18C3.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could upgrade to the Hellcat oil pump

Aside from the common YouTube video, has this really been proven to be beneficial though? I’m concerned it may do more harm than good. I can’t seem to find any long term results on the Hellcat oil pump… I’m under the impression deleting the mds system altogether was the main fix..

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shortly after my hellcat pump installation, my rear main seal appeared to have developed a leak - not sure if it's related. My oil pressures while cruising are in the mid to upper 70's psi. Might be too much ? I dunno. At hot 600rpm drive idle, i've seen it dip to the upper 30's psi, but mostly mid 40's psi.
A stock pump or the higher volume Melling pump might be the way to go, particularly if you bump up your idle rpm in a custom tune. From what I gather, the cam/lifter damage occurs as a result of excessive idling when the pump isn't flowing much - bumping the idle rpm up brings the pressure up enough it seems like.
MMX has an MDS delete kit that you can customize to get what you need - you're missing the gaskets, pushrods, mds plugs, timing set, etc from your list.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shortly after my hellcat pump installation, my rear main seal appeared to have developed a leak - not sure if it's related. My oil pressures while cruising are in the mid to upper 70's psi. Might be too much ? I dunno. At hot 600rpm drive idle, i've seen it dip to the upper 30's psi, but mostly mid 40's psi.
A stock pump or the higher volume Melling pump might be the way to go, particularly if you bump up your idle rpm in a custom tune. From what I gather, the cam/lifter damage occurs as a result of excessive idling when the pump isn't flowing much - bumping the idle rpm up brings the pressure up enough it seems like.
MMX has an MDS delete kit that you can customize to get what you need - you're missing the gaskets, pushrods, mds plugs, timing set, etc from your list.

I already planned on running the idle time by Jay and see what he thinks.. Here is what comes with the cam kit I bought also. I just didn’t post that assuming it was a given..

camshaft, PAC 1211x .625 lift springs, chromoly retainers, custom locators, shims, phaser limiter, hardened pushrods, and full set of Hellcat lifters.

Gaskets and fluids will be covered up by the guys doing the work I assume.

I’ll check into the MMX mds kit. I didn’t realize I needed it.

Timing set as well.

Thank you so much!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oil pressure shouldn't blow a seal out.Seals go when they get old and harden up,or you start to have more blow by past the rings,or a bad pcv,and the crankcase starts to see higher pressures. Being as how your truck is going on 11 years old,i'd guess it's a combination of a hard seal and more cylinder pressure from your mods,leading to a bit more blowby past the rings,creating slightly higher pressures in the crankcase

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I already planned on running the idle time by Jay and see what he thinks.. Here is what comes with the cam kit I bought also. I just didn’t post that assuming it was a given..

camshaft, PAC 1211x .625 lift springs, chromoly retainers, custom locators, shims, phaser limiter, hardened pushrods, and full set of Hellcat lifters.

Gaskets and fluids will be covered up by the guys doing the work I assume.

I’ll check into the MMX mds kit. I didn’t realize I needed it.

Timing set as well.

Thank you so much!
Hopefully you realize you're giving up some power by going with the thump cam. If i'm spending that kind of money and work, i want everything i can get power wise,i could care less if it thumps at idle or not,you don't win races at idle,lol

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully you realize you're giving up some power by going with the thump cam. If i'm spending that kind of money and work, i want everything i can get power wise,i could care less if it thumps at idle or not,you don't win races at idle,lol

I will never win any race, as I do not race at all. This truck is my daily driver, and I just want it to sound good, and not have the lifter issue again. I could care less how much power it has for the track.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will never win any race, as I do not race at all. This truck is my daily driver, and I just want it to sound good, and not have the lifter issue again. I could care less how much power it has for the track.
Fair enough.Not my style,i prefer to build sleepers that sound stock,and go like a bat out of hell,but that's not everybodies cup of tea.You should get the idle you want with that cam.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fair enough.Not my style,i prefer to build sleepers that sound stock,and go like a bat out of hell,but that's not everybodies cup of tea.You should get the idle you want with that cam.

I may change after I feel what’s under the hood after all of this.. Lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I may change after I feel what’s under the hood after all of this.. Lol
I grew up when muscle cars were still easy and cheap to get,so my toys have to have the ability to spin tires,or i start getting the shakes after awhile,lol

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I grew up when muscle cars were still easy and cheap to get,so my toys have to have the ability to spin tires,or i start getting the shakes after awhile,lol

That’s awesome.. The tires on this thing are way too spendy. I drive it like an old paw paw..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That’s awesome.. The tires on this thing are way too spendy. I drive it like an old paw paw..
I buy the cheapest tires i can get,as my wife is also hard on rear tires,and i'd be broke buying good tires for either her toy or my toy,lol. But then again she also has more dragstrip passes under her belt then probably 90% of guys do,lol:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I buy the cheapest tires i can get,as my wife is also hard on rear tires,and i'd be broke buying good tires for either her toy or my toy,lol. But then again she also has more dragstrip passes under her belt then probably 90% of guys do,lol:Big Laugh:

If my wife was into it like that, I would definitely be in your boat.. She thinks this whole thing is absolutely stupid!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If my wife was into it like that, I would definitely be in your boat.. She thinks this whole thing is absolutely stupid!!
I made the mistake of putting my wife (girlfriend back then,lol) in my car and talking her into making a pass 37 years ago,it's been downhill ever since ,lol

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil pressure shouldn't blow a seal out.Seals go when they get old and harden up,or you start to have more blow by past the rings,or a bad pcv,and the crankcase starts to see higher pressures. Being as how your truck is going on 11 years old,i'd guess it's a combination of a hard seal and more cylinder pressure from your mods,leading to a bit more blowby past the rings,creating slightly higher pressures in the crankcase
Thanks

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol morons putting hellcat oil pumps on engines they have no CLUE what that will affect... too high of oil pressure will result in no oil pressure situation... Just because a clueless guy makes a video about it doesnt make it good.... They make tested (melling) high flow/high pressure pumps... I can't believe people are dumb enough to believe a guy who does shoddy work and doesnt even know the specifics of rebuilding a hemi...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
lol morons putting hellcat oil pumps on engines they have no CLUE what that will affect... too high of oil pressure will result in no oil pressure situation... Just because a clueless guy makes a video about it doesnt make it good.... They make tested (melling) high flow/high pressure pumps... I can't believe people are dumb enough to believe a guy who does shoddy work and doesnt even know the specifics of rebuilding a hemi...
And just what are you're qualifications to make such a statement. BTW I'm pretty sure Melling makes the Hellcat oil pump.

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And just what are you're qualifications to make such a statement. BTW I'm pretty sure Melling makes the Hellcat oil pump.
Lol and if MELLING makes the hell cat pump why wouldnt they use the hellcat pump levels???? why would they go out of their way to make a high flow and high volume pump without going to the extra level? why dont you go watch the melling youtube video on their oil pumps... instead of the guy throwing darts against a wall with your engines... lol

And btw I am not the one making the case that anyone should use the hellcat pump... you guys are goofy enough to believe a dumb youtube mechanic looking for hits... OH use a hellcat pump, itll crank your oil pressure through the roof! lol...

Yes it can blow seals out, starve bearings of oil etc...