Full Mopar Kicker Upgrade Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds like just the type of thing a customer service social media team can get resolved.

@ramcares

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
So, Further playing around with the dash speakers in the 77kick42 package convinced me to return them and order 77kick28ab. I used a breadboard just for the testing rather than soldering stuff on to the speakers itself. I tired a 3.9 ohm 2 Watt resistor inline with the positive side of the dash speaker terminal to lower the dash speakers volume and power to see if it would be more balanced sound in the cabin with the dash kind of acting as 8 ohm... of course speakers impedance is always changing so this resistor setup is not something I really want to do, but I wanted to see what happens... next I used a 2.2uf capacitor also in series with the resistor and the positive side of the speaker to eliminate low frequencies. That also worked pretty good, but it was too much treble for my taste. I also tried 10uf and 100uf just to compare. ( I tried with whatever parts I had at hand, for example I didn't have an exact 4 ohm resistor and I wish I had a 7.3Uf capacitor, etc...)

Anyways at the end of it all I was just not satisfied with the results and I decided to order the 77kick28ab for the front. We will see how that sounds like when they arrive. I will post my findings on here.

007.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ That circuit board thing is fun to play with. Recently custom built a steering wheel control interface using one of those at a training.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Yeah, its from when I was in college 10 years ago :) some of these still comes into use here and there.

I wish I still had my oscilloscope though :(

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With how deep you seem to be going with this, I think you are a perfect candidate for a DSP and an 8 channel amp.

Channels 1-6 going to front doors, dash, rear doors with 7&8 bridged to a small, efficient sub.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
So I got the 77kick28ab now. by the way I was told the part number was updated and its now called 82215414. 2-6x9 speaker for front door and 2-dash tweeters with crossover built-in on the back of them.

So now finally everything is more balanced. Sounds much better. Sound from the new tweeters are very comparable to the sound of 3.5" dash speakers when I had them in series with frequency limiting capacitors... However the tweeters in 82215414 are not as loud as the previous 3.5" dash speakers. I think the small crossover circuit built into them makes the difference. It's actually a very basic circuit with a 7.3uf capacitor in series with positive, coil on negative and a very high frequency capacitor between the plus and minus terminals. I mean I could have built this circuit myself and kept the 3.5" dash that came with the kick42 package, but oh well its working fine now, the head unit is not stressed due to ohm mismatch, etc... I can turn it up very loud and still not much distortion or out of balanced tones...

so for the conclusion what I have installed now is the 77kick28ab (82215414) Front, , 77kick41 rear, and 77kick44(Sub) under the rear drivers seat. I would say It is a pretty good combo and performs pretty well. around volume level 21 all my mirrors already shaking and the EQ on the head unit is Bass=0, mid=-1, treble=+1... I always play with this though depending on the type of song (genre).

If I have some extra money in the future and want to spend on this setup, I would just add a multi-channel amp for the doors and that would be it. Even without an amp right now its hitting pretty good.

Thank you all for participating in the discussion of this project.

unnamed.png

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you got it worked out and are happy with the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I missed it, sorry, but would you say these Kickers are better speakers than what comes in the Alpine system? That's what I have in my '16 Reb and after doing the sub swap with the Pioneer TSW model, I'm betting the door, ceiling and dash speakers aren't that great, either!

TXCOMT

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
So if I missed it, sorry, but would you say these Kickers are better speakers than what comes in the Alpine system? That's what I have in my '16 Reb and after doing the sub swap with the Pioneer TSW model, I'm betting the door, ceiling and dash speakers aren't that great, either!

TXCOMT

Same truck/sound system I have, but you seem to have deeper pockets than me. just add it to the list of eventual upgrades.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same truck/sound system I have, but you seem to have deeper pockets than me. just add it to the list of eventual upgrades.

Hah! Maybe, maybe not...property taxes in North Texas can be killer! As for the system, it seems the Mopar-branded Kicker upgrade components are pretty competitively priced, plus they're plug-n-play, so that's why I'm thinking of going in that direction. The big question is whether I'll get a nice improvement over the Alpine stuff; if not, then perhaps I should look at Kicker's other models or another brand.

TXCOMT

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
audio is pretty far down on my upgrade list. good to know there are options. Post results if you do go this route.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hah! Maybe, maybe not...property taxes in North Texas can be killer! As for the system, it seems the Mopar-branded Kicker upgrade components are pretty competitively priced, plus they're plug-n-play, so that's why I'm thinking of going in that direction. The big question is whether I'll get a nice improvement over the Alpine stuff; if not, then perhaps I should look at Kicker's other models or another brand.

TXCOMT

If you have the Alpine system, then no. The Kicker speakers are all 4-ohm speakers. The Alpine is 2-ohm. I just finished talking with GrayGoose about this same thing. They are great for the base audio system, but not the Alpine.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it; thanks for saving me some coin!

TXCOMT

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A number of people here have upgraded the speakers in the Alpine system with the Infinity Reference line. They make 2 ohm drivers that (from what it sounds like) drop right into place. You just need to get a wire adapter from Metra to match the factory wiring plugs at the speaker end.

Do some searches for exact model numbers and reviews.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep. From what I can tell the Infinity Reference are a direct replacement for the Alpine system. The 3.5" are REF3022CFX / 3023 for the dash.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@TXCOMT, my truck did not come with the Alpine package. But I have tried one at the dealership just for about 15 minutes... So i did not do any extensive testing with the alpine setup, but I would say the kicker speakers are better in clarity. However like I said earlier, you can only push so much bass to the doors because everything buzzes in there. all the parts are plastic on plastic, glass on plastic, metal on plastic, etc, with no dampening. So just to keep that in mind. These kickers have bass even without the sub.

I would say for the money I spent, You can build a better setup with aftermarket brands. Depends what you want to do. This upgrade I have done is for someone who wants plug and play.

Last edited:

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@EagleChief In my opinion these kickers have the sound quality I was looking for. However, the dash speakers are the tricky part in this truck. If a person has a truck without the alpine audio... then the dash should be 8 ohms, but it was really hard for me to find 3.5" 8 ohm speakers. Regardless of brand, if the dash is 4ohm they still going to be too loud and be heard more than everything else installed. installing a component speaker that comes with a crossover would be better rather than purchasing just a dash speaker and door speaker separately.

If I had the second chance I would get the non-mopar, regular kickers that are component speakers and comes with crossovers or the 77kick28ab from mopar. Since the regular non-mopar branded kicker 6x9s dont fit the door because of their depth. I went with mopar kicker to avoid those extra work.

77kick28ab comes with tweeters for the dash not 3.5" fullrange speaker, and the tweeters have built in cross over. I think this is the reason many people actually prefer using the 77kick28ab instead of 77kick42 for the front and dash.

Are the dash speakers 8 ohm because they are on the same channel as the doors?

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is temporary untill the other amp and speakers get here but this JL has got to be the thoatiest baby sub ive ever heard. It vibrates your hair. (Gain remote required, frequency range limited due to well its location)just tune your amp ( it loves the 480Rms from Rockford 500.ibdx that could be 741 at 1 ohm ;) so if you have the premium, by this sub and your set. 6 speaker guys, buy this sub and a component set for the fron and 3/4 way 6x9 in the back.

LC2i from factory sub connector in every truck. Just ad wire at front passenger harness. Add amp. drop speaker in hole tune and go. This is my 2nd 4th gen so install is an hour. Usially hunting connectors etc. 30 if you know how and where and are prepared. It seriously blows me away and i run 2 x Rockford P3D4 12" at 1400 rms in the car, they just vibrate more lol

Yes it is all just ziptied. I was in patient, wanted some immidiate improvement when downgrading to the 6 speaker!

20200120_042848.jpg

20200120_042940.jpg

20200120_043047.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the full kicker speaker upgrade, about 230 total for my reg cab express, huge difference over stock. My brother put the kicker sub plug and play kit in his 18 chevy z71 crewcab, ****** hell that thing hits. Made me a bit jealous,but kicker doesnt make a kit for the regular cab guy.
yeah but You can fit multiple subs behind you in a wedge, look into jl stealth boxes also. Wanna say they have one that becomes your center seat. and my stealth in the crew is very impressive considering i have refused 10" woofers for 20 years. that booger will definitely hit the deep hard notes my P2 and P3 combined in the benz do... they are pricey. just make sure if you do invest you are geting a v3 sub and not a v0

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up getting a kenwood head unit which made it sound better and then a kicker powered sub that fits under the seats. Sounds damn good