FYI: Mopar Accessory Hard-Folding Tonneau Cover Part #82215227AB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In my quest for a Tonneau Cover, I came across this information that may help someone else out.

This information relates to the Mopar Accessory Hard-Folding Tonneau Cover listed here:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/2019/ram-1500/mopar-accessories.html

Just wanted to relay some information I received on this Tonneau:
I found installation instructions online that included a support phone number and email address which were for Truck-Hero. ( Phone: 833-204-2606. Email: [email protected])
I emailed them asking some questions about the comparable aftermarket version.
Here is their response:

Good morning,
OEM part number 82215227AB is comparable to the BAKFlip G2. These two covers are similar in functionality as well as their semi-gloss finish, however, differ in their warranty as well as their tailgate function. The OEM cover does carry a 3 year, 36,000M/60,000KM warranty (whichever comes first) and does allow you to open and close your tailgate freely, whereas the BAKFlip G2 carries a 2 year warranty and does not allow you to open and close your tailgate freely (you will need to close your tailgate with the cover up and then close the cover on top to be sure no damage is caused to the tailgate seal).
If you have any additional questions, please let me know.
Taylor Maisevich
OE Customer Care
Truck Hero, Inc
Toll Free: 833-204-2606
Email: [email protected]

OP
OP
justintx

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The description sounds more comparable to the Bakflip MX4 which is satin finish and allows the tailgate to be closed with the cover down. The G2 is gloss black.

I agree it sounds more comparable to the MX4, but price wise I've been able to find the OEM version for $750 shipped... (though someone on another forum said they got their MX4 from Morrie at Tonneau factory outlet for $799.88 total)

OP
OP
justintx

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I should know something tomorrow. I'm 1200 miles away from the dealership right now so I can't swing by and check. I'm relying on my sales guy.

Hey Jus Cruisin, Did you ever get any pricing info from your dealership?

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Hey Jus Cruisin, Did you ever get any pricing info from your dealership?
The dealership is able to beat the Bakflip phone price by $26. I'm going to do the Mopar tonneau, at least check it out. They have some in stock. I'd just as soon give the local dealer some business, if possible.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
IMG_20180724_191243138.jpg
Here's the Mopar tonneau on my truck. Just one issue that I fixed myself. The 2 bolts that hold it in place wouldn't drop through the rail bracket. Misaligned. Just took and opened the hole one size drill bit. Took longer to go into the house and get my drill than it took to drill the 2 plastic spacer blocks.

This has to be the MX4 from bakflip with a gloss finish instead of matte.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justintx

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
View attachment 135361
Here's the Mopar tonneau on my truck. Just one issue that I fixed myself. The 2 bolts that hold it in place wouldn't drop through the rail bracket. Misaligned. Just took and opened the hole one size drill bit. Took longer to go into the house and get my drill than it took to drill the 2 plastic spacer blocks.

Looks good!

OP
OP
justintx

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just an FYI...
I've been calling local dealerships to see if they have any of these (Part #82215227AB) in stock and if they had any deals going. None of the dealerships I called showed them in stock, in fact, they all said that part is on an Engineering Hold.
I talked to a FCA support rep at Truck-Hero and she said that they just started re-building them today actually but didn't know when they would be available again at dealerships. She said the issue was with the adhesive on the seals.
So for the people who have already bought and installed these, you might keep an eye out for any issues with the seals which will be covered under warranty.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Just an FYI...
I've been calling local dealerships to see if they have any of these (Part #82215227AB) in stock and if they had any deals going. None of the dealerships I called showed them in stock, in fact, they all said that part is on an Engineering Hold.
I talked to a FCA support rep at Truck-Hero and she said that they just started re-building them today actually but didn't know when they would be available again at dealerships. She said the issue was with the adhesive on the seals.
So for the people who have already bought and installed these, you might keep an eye out for any issues with the seals which will be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the heads up. My dealer had 5 or 6 in stock when I bought mine last week.

OP
OP
justintx

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I didn't want to wait on the Mopar version to be released from the engineering hold, so I went ahead and bought an MX4.
As some others have mentioned on this and other forums, Morrie at Tonneau Factory Outlet hooked me up with a great deal!
He's a super nice guy and knowledgeable about the products he sells!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
View attachment 135361

looks like my Bakflip. I have had several of those and they have been great. have one on my 2019 ccsb laramie

Creep0321

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Unk
Engine
Unk
So this is the one you would get if you order the “Tri-Fold Tonneau CoverSales code: CS7” when configuring a truck? The picture on ram trucks.com looks different. Also I’m new to tonneau covers and haven’t owned a truck since 2014, with the cover down and tailgate locked is the entire bed essentially locked? Or can you just lift the cover?

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure it is the hard trifold cover if you want that rather than the soft trifold cover as shown in the sales brochure as optional equipment. If hard cover is listed as an option now - I think that is new.

I also bought the Mopar version (Mopar relabeled Bakflip MX4). Fits great, looks great, and works great. Mopar part #82215227ac interchanges with #82215227ab: list $900 but the dealer sold it to me for 15% off. They had 4 in stock so no shipping cost but had to pay sales tax. Shipping can get expensive so even if it is included in an internet order someone is paying for it.

If it is not listed as an order option you should be able to get the dealer to work something out from the $900 list. It is very easy to install so don't let them jack you on installation if you want the dealer to install it.

Creep0321

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Unk
Engine
Unk
Ok thanks, most likely I’ll be ordering a new truck, site unseen since I live in Germany right now. I assume I could probably get the dealership to add the hard tri fold cover after they receive it but before I pick it up?

RamConvert82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Mopar hard folding tonneau on my 2019. Since it is so close to the BAKflip, has anyone tried putting the Bakbox 2 Tonneau Toolbox to their Mopar hard folding tonneau? If really like to add it for the foldable storage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk