Gap between tailgate and bed: dirt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surewin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I recently purchased and installed a MOPAR four panel folding hardtop cover for my 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 6‘4“ bed The bed functions as advertised however I get a lot of dirt in the very back of the bed at the tailgate and I’m just wondering if there is some kind of fix for covering the gap between the tailgate and the bed. I do not have a drop in liner or the bed mat if I had either one of those do you think that would keep dirt out of the bed? THANKS

OP
OP
S

surewin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Thank you that’s a good idea

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I recently purchased and installed a MOPAR four panel folding hardtop cover for my 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 6‘4“ bed The bed functions as advertised however I get a lot of dirt in the very back of the bed at the tailgate and I’m just wondering if there is some kind of fix for covering the gap between the tailgate and the bed. I do not have a drop in liner or the bed mat if I had either one of those do you think that would keep dirt out of the bed? THANKS
I have new 2022 same size as you, what I've done in the past is buy very thick (wide) squishy weather stripping and install in the gap. Worked great and I'll do the same to this truck as well. Can buy at Home Depot / Lowes

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Something like this maybe?...
Those work really well as long as you don't slide stuff in and out of the box. If you want something slide friendly mount weather stripping on the vertical edge of the box at the back edge below where the tailgate mates up.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I LOVE the Gap Shield Cover, yet it's only part of the solution for me. I reconfigured the way the Gap Shield Cover connects so it can be installed and removed somewhat quickly as I rarely use the bed for small particulates.

As @DB Cooper stated first, get some heavy duty (firm - as the squishy stuff falls apart quickly), wide, weather stripping and apply around the opening of the tailgate enclosure.

My experience is the stock adhesive on the weather stripping will fail in about 2 to 3 months which I'm sure is commensurate with how often you open/close the tailgate. I ended up using Contact Cement to make it stick, going all the way around the frame of the opening the tailgate seats into. It's been almost a year now and no issues.

The one thing to note there will be a little resistance just before the tailgate latches as the weather stripping starts to compress between the opening and the tailgate, so it'll require a firm closing the first dozen or so times.

I know it's a long answer, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist ... yet my bed stays both dirt, dust and almost entirely dry, even through the car wash.

Hope this helps

bigred2211

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Depending on what you use your truck for, a bed rug works great. I had two trucks with the bed rug and a topper and it stayed pretty clean in back.
Have done that in the past...you're right, worked great.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Nice...may have to copy this.
I burned up some length for "testing" and this was the best solution I could come up with. So far it's been working great.

I flipped the seal along the bottom since it was tough to shut the 'normal' way (gasket edge up). The instructions for mine told me to "flip" the seal for the bottom edge (the thin edge with adhesive on the top and the larger gasket edge down) if the gate is tough to shut.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use a tarp, and it lets me pull the last remaining material out instead of shoveling and sweeping. I carry topsoil, 3/8 to 2" rock, branches and leaves and shovel/rake over and into it. Works great for me

SantaCaras

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Duct Tape. Comes in all colors to match now! Probly hundreds!! Back in my day all we had was tha Universal Gray. So to answer your question about the gap…… Duct Tape!!

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have new 2022 same size as you, what I've done in the past is buy very thick (wide) squishy weather stripping and install in the gap. Worked great and I'll do the same to this truck as well. Can buy at Home Depot / Lowes

I did the same. 3M “D shape” small gap (up to 1/4”) worked perfectly and you can get 5ft for around $10. I’m sure you can pay less, but trust the 3M adhesive.

I thought the gap would be less of an issue with official cover, but guess that is a hard area to address regardless. It sure seems like the factory should have done a better job at sealing some of these gaps.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Yes, I was less than impressed with the Truck when I installed my hard topper and seen how big it was. Put the Gasket (that came with my topper) just on the bed. Now that I have used the Truck more wish I would have planned out the install better.

Moral of the story -- don't just stick it to the bed but rather take the suggestions and hide it around the lip of the Tailgate...

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recommend a weatherstripping you can buy at a big box or ma and pa. Thick is good. 3M adhesive makes it better. Attach to inside lip of the tailgate near the bottom and wrap it up. You’ll be good to go for less than a sawbuck.