Garage build - Lots of pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Next comes the property surveys... The city vacated the alley that used to run behind our house and deeded the alley to us. So we got a full property survey to make sure where the true corners were. They the survey crew then surveyed out where the building was to be located and marked it for the first permitting inspection. Then they came out and staked out the corners of the slab. During the survey we found that our back yard was almost a foot lower than the front yard. I'll explain why this was important in a bit.

View attachment 153172

View attachment 153173

Surveyed first, very very smart! And the grounding wire inside the concrete slab is a superior method compared to a driven ground rod (or so they said in apprentice class). You're planning on rigid conduit? That's a lot of work. Maybe EMT would do just fine? Maybe I'm too late in reading this by now, sorry.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is required to still drive 2 ground rods by the service if it a standalone service separate from the house. If it is a sub feed from the house you are only required to ground the slab and metal framing structure to prevent it from becoming energized with a ground rod on one corner of the house as the sub feed will require a ground from the panel on the house. I’m jealous. I can’t wait to have a property large enough for a nice garage like yours

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks awesome and lots of patience I bet during the building process. Good luck with the new building,may it keep you warm and dry.:banana-mario:

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Surveyed first, very very smart! And the grounding wire inside the concrete slab is a superior method compared to a driven ground rod (or so they said in apprentice class). You're planning on rigid conduit? That's a lot of work. Maybe EMT would do just fine? Maybe I'm too late in reading this by now, sorry.

With the city vacating the rear alley and us not knowing where the true property line was, we just had to get a survey. As it ended up, I was almost 24" off on where I thought the corner marker was. That would have put the building into a power line easement and caused all kinds of grief had we built it there. Was soooo worth the survey for that alone!

I'm going to be using PVC conduit. Plan is to run 2-1/2" conduit all along the top of the wall height. Then where I want a drop, cut in a "T" and drop the outlet to the height I want. Basically use the 2-1/2" as a common wiring raceway. I have checked and it is codes legal. I'm not going to put in that many outlets, just quad boxes in certain places. Each outlet pair on their own 20A breaker. Heavier outlets where needed (welder, compressor, etc). I'm running one 1-1/2" conduit back up to the house for CATV, CAT6 eithernet, and maybe some fiber if I can find a couple hundred feet of surplus 6-strand.

It is required to still drive 2 ground rods by the service if it a standalone service separate from the house. If it is a sub feed from the house you are only required to ground the slab and metal framing structure to prevent it from becoming energized with a ground rod on one corner of the house as the sub feed will require a ground from the panel on the house. I’m jealous. I can’t wait to have a property large enough for a nice garage like yours

Will be getting standalone service for the shop. Power pole is inside the corner of the property line, about 15' away. The Codes Inspector said to forget running power from the house and upping my service capacity. Our house has 125A service and I need at least that for the shop. He said doing all that would cost more than just having Duke Energy drop in a second meter.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Sounds good. I don't know what kind of temperature changes you get there, but know that PVC has a large expansion and contraction coefficient with the temps. I don't know codes anymore, I'm long retired, but you should probably use plastic hangers, not metal straps as the conduit will slide inside of them---allow a little room for that or you may have some days when the conduit looks rather sloppy. The smaller drops will not move as much. And definitely bond the service to the building structure (not the tin) with a *compatible* connector that won't quickly corrode and degrade your connection. Living in Florida, you know about this. I do miss building stuff.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good. I don't know what kind of temperature changes you get there, but know that PVC has a large expansion and contraction coefficient with the temps. I don't know codes anymore, I'm long retired, but you should probably use plastic hangers, not metal straps as the conduit will slide inside of them---allow a little room for that or you may have some days when the conduit looks rather sloppy. The smaller drops will not move as much. And definitely bond the service to the building structure (not the tin) with a *compatible* connector that won't quickly corrode and degrade your connection. Living in Florida, you know about this. I do miss building stuff.
To building steel either a beam is to be drilled and taped with a proper tap die and a lug installed with a bolt or the horizontal perling to be drilled through and taped with the proper die and a lug installed and a nut installed on the opposite side to ensure tightness. I prefer the second method due to a more solid connection. And being exposed to outside air it is a good idea to use a corrosion prohibitor on the wire to the lug and coat the lug with a zinc spray after. The mating surface must be cleaned to bare metal and prepped to ensure a solid connection. This can be done by the panel that way you can connect it to your grounding system. Depending on the code in your area you may be able to run the wire directly to the panels ground bar

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife and I plan to move to New Mexico in the next year, I hinted around the notion that the garage will be built before the house! You have a good layout there and it took alot of planning. CONGRATULATIONS!