Garage Door Opener Intermittent Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cainer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 Ram has a factory garage door opener (HomeLink). When it's working, I can program it, I can press the buttons and the EVIC shows 'transmitting' and programming messages. But occasionally, it will just stop working altogether. Like no messages on the EVIC and it doesn't open the door. Time not working might be a day, might be a week, or even a month, then it will come on again and work for 2-3 days, then nothing. It's totally random as far as I can tell. I'd say it works roughly half the time I try it. I'm wondering if the switch connection is loose or something. Anyone know where I might check to see if the switch is attached correctly? You guys have any other idea why this might be happening?

Thanks!!

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When mine doesnt work Sometimes if i press it real fast multiple times itll work. If it doesnt i just use my phone. But it always works with my cutout so must be a distance thing or my garage door. Good luck

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LiftMaster is one of the best garage door openers
For years the Craftsman garage door openers were Liftmaster brand, but it had a Craftsman sticker on it.

Personally i carry the remote from LiftMaster in my Ram & another in my Harley.

When the buttons don't work on the Rams Homelink, i then try the remote, most times neither will work if Homelink fails to open or close the garage door.

There are things that over power electronic signals
It happens most with the Key Fob, fluorescent lights at the 7/11 store, if a machine shop has a CNC machine, certain TVs & even certain kinds of birdbaths can interrupt the radio signal.

One thing that you can try with your Homelink, is to lengthen the antenna on the garage door opener, it may only take an inch or two

Do not add much more length to the antenna, it will extend the signal distance & being as the door opener operates on a rolling code, someone else trying to open their own garage, may open yours too, it is only a slight possibility, but why chance it.

Last edited:

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
My 2019 BH Classic does the same thing, maybe once out of every 10 times it won't work. Frustrating to say the least when it don't work and it raining cats and dogs.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Once in a great while the Homelink in my Ram or the wife’s Cherokee will fail to open the door. Waiting a minute or two then doing a long press on the button seems to resolve it. Suggestions to lengthen the opener’s antenna are good. I would add two other comments; first, do not use LED or Flourescent bulbs in your opener as they will interfere with signal. Secondly, if you erase everything in your Homelink and start reprogramming, do it mid-day when your neighbors aren’t going to/from work or school, or you might accidentally get a neighbor’s remote programmed to your door. DAMHIKT.

best,
DG

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have had issues where the Home Link does not work. My fix was, program all three buttons. One of them always works.

When a particular button becomes unreliable, I program it again. Two minutes.

Annoying, but manageable.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Just had it happen to me again this morning? 2019 I've had 2 years. Rare but it has happened as OP said, press button and the dash doesn't even say anything. Tried other buttons and nothing. I'll find out when I get home if it will work again? Seems to get in a mode (?) if I press the button THEN start the truck?

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its crazy but I've found that it only happens when my lights are on .......turn them off and hit the button again ....wow door opens!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From a garage door company

Eliminate or Reduce Garage Door Opener Remote Interference with Exclusive Radio Frequency Friendly LED Light Bulb. Common LED and CFL bulbs can emit interference that limits the range of garage door opener remotes.

I noticed that his antenna wire is a lot longer than mine is
With mine, i may have a 40 foot range with both my Ram & a the hand held remote

Last edited:

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I had 2 LED bulbs in my opener that I purchased on Amazon that was suppose to be for garage door openers. I know I had to remove them in order to pair my 2019 BH Classic to that opener.
I am going to switch back to incandescent bulbs and see if I still have issues.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Yes.....headlight & driving light

I do know for a fact that the LED's I had in my operener were suppose to be for a garage door opener, meaning no rf interference. I had to remove them in order to pair my Ram when I bought it last year.
I'm thinking the LED's in you truck may be causing the same issue. Did you have issues before converting to LED's of did your truck come with them.
I have also seen issues with radio interference because of LED's. The 4 foot tubes I put in my barn causes interference with my intercom system.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do know for a fact that the LED's I had in my operener were suppose to be for a garage door opener, meaning no rf interference. I had to remove them in order to pair my Ram when I bought it last year.
I'm thinking the LED's in you truck may be causing the same issue. Did you have issues before converting to LED's of did your truck come with them.
I have also seen issues with radio interference because of LED's. The 4 foot tubes I put in my barn causes interference with my intercom system.

Yeah I think it's the LED's too
I installed them in my truck but also installed a new opener about the same time??