Garage Door Opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My apologies for asking another question about my Ram truck. I have the garage door opener buttons on the rooftop center console and am having trouble getting them to work with my garage doors. I have two garages, an attached garage and and a detached garage that is mainly my shop. I have garage door openers on both of them but they are different brands. I was able to get the door on the attached garage to program and it works fine but I cannot get the door on the detached garage to program. I've went over and read the directions in the owner's manual several times but still cannot get it to work. Can anyone here offer any help?

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sone of the newer garage door openers have a “learn” button you have to press before it’ll pickup the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
You can also use your existing remote to program the button. Basically duplicating it.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can also use your existing remote to program the button. Basically duplicating it.

On most of the newer garage door openers you still have to use the "learn" button along with programming the button with the remote.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you do the following.....

1) Hold your handheld door opener within a few inches of the homelink button you want to program.
2) Hold down both the opener button as well as the Homelink button you want to program.
** This is where it got different, i held both buttons down for probably more than 30 seconds. The Homelink light went from a very fast flashing to a very slow and deliberate blink on\off.**
3) Go to the garage door opener and press and release the LEARN button on the back of the opener motor
4) Return to the truck and cycle (press) on/off the Homelink button you want to program.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
On most of the newer garage door openers you still have to use the "learn" button along with programming the button with the remote.
Right, you clone the remote then program the opener.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right, you clone the remote then program the opener.

Correct, unless it's a non rolling code opener then all you have to do is clone the remote.

OP
OP
T

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks fellas for your help, just spent the last 45 minutes out there messing with it and still had no luck. Stimpy433 , I did exactly as you suggested,but no cigar. I will say it is a brand new door opener, brand is Overhead Door. The opener in the attached garage is a Liftmaster, it programmed first time and works with the Homelink in both my Ram truck and my wife's Ford Edge. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks fellas for your help, just spent the last 45 minutes out there messing with it and still had no luck. Stimpy433 , I did exactly as you suggested,but no cigar. I will say it is a brand new door opener, brand is Overhead Door. The opener in the attached garage is a Liftmaster, it programmed first time and works with the Homelink in both my Ram truck and my wife's Ford Edge. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The Overhead Door one I believe is basically a rebranded Liftmaster….. I know I had to try a couple times to get mine to take, it didn't work and didn't work, then all the sudden it worked!!!
Does it show in the EVIC that the button is trained???

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Homelink sucks ass always goes out in the truck.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is your truck new? Homelink CS will walk you through it.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'd get one or two set in the truck... The third truck button would go stupid... Then I'd have to erase the first two buttons.

I've given up is that various feature. 21st century tech, EPIC FAIL.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Overhead Door one I believe is basically a rebranded Liftmaster….. I know I had to try a couple times to get mine to take, it didn't work and didn't work, then all the sudden it worked!!!
Does it show in the EVIC that the button is trained???

Yes, it says training ,then trained. What's puzzling me is that I've followed the instructions in the manual and it's still not working. I don't know if it's an error on my part or not. Is the system on my Ram truck a Homelink or a Car2U system. The manual that came with my garage door opener shows how to set up both Homelink and the Car2U systems.

Last edited: