Gas cap missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m a little stumped here on a stupid thing. Just got gas for the first time in my 2021 Ram. Opened the fuel door and this is what I see? Looks like maybe I only have part of a gas cap? Or is that normal? I’ve owned a lot of cars but never one with a cap that didn’t screw off!

37B81E7E-7F2C-4017-B255-45760362B831.jpeg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not the fuel filler, that's the rare "port-o-potty" option..... just open the door, cuz when you got to go, you got to go!!!!

No gas cap, gas caps are now ancient technology.

OP
OP
J

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to hear. I opened it up like "uh, there's no cap, but no threads. How is that check engine light not on?"

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Fair warning though - if you need to add fuel from a gas can, use the funnel that is located with the jack. There are two flappers that have to open to add gas and a typical gas can won't reach the second one. Saw a new Jeep on the road a few days back and pulled over to help push it to the side and found out they forgot to add gas after the first tank and couldn't get gas in it from a gas can. I guess Jeep has the same setup as the RAM. Pushed it half a block up the road to a gas station and went on my way.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GO to Geno's Garage. They have caps now for 2019/2020 DT trucks.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m a little stumped here on a stupid thing. Just got gas for the first time in my 2021 Ram. Opened the fuel door and this is what I see? Looks like maybe I only have part of a gas cap? Or is that normal? I’ve owned a lot of cars but never one with a cap that didn’t screw off!

View attachment 225196

Too funny, capless system. Been out a lot of years. My wife's 2010 F150 4 X 4 had capless.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still have problems with my capless fuel fill. How can dirt not get into the tank with this setup?

Well, technically there is still a gas cap - it's just not one that you can remove. There is a spring-loaded flap the seals the opening when the tank is not receiving fuel. I actually like not having to mess with a screw-on fuel cap.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I still have problems with my capless fuel fill. How can dirt not get into the tank with this setup?

It's probably better this way. Think about it.....The flap only opens when the nozzle is inserted. On the other hand, when you took of the old caps the hole was open and exposed the entire time.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fair warning though - if you need to add fuel from a gas can, use the funnel that is located with the jack. There are two flappers that have to open to add gas and a typical gas can won't reach the second one. Saw a new Jeep on the road a few days back and pulled over to help push it to the side and found out they forgot to add gas after the first tank and couldn't get gas in it from a gas can. I guess Jeep has the same setup as the RAM. Pushed it half a block up the road to a gas station and went on my way.

Is it me or is the funnel a PITA to remove once used?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a Gino's Garage locking gas cap, now I don't have to worry about the neighborhood bored teenagers to strike.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's probably better this way. Think about it.....The flap only opens when the nozzle is inserted. On the other hand, when you took of the old caps the hole was open and exposed the entire time.
I'm all about doing things the easy way, but I've never thought to myself "I wish I didn't have to go to the trouble of removing this gas cap every time I fill up". It's not something that I even ever considered. I'm more concerned about contaminants that could be on the flap when you insert the fuel nozzle. Anything that might be on there can get inserted into the fuel tank with the nozzle. I realize there is a seal on the outer door, but how well does it seal out dirt and water? I had a capless system on the 2015 Ecodiesel I used to own, and had similar concerns with that. I bought a cheap fuel cap on Amazon (non-locking) and it served me well. I'm on the fence about the Geno's version for gassers because of the $60 price tag. I'd prefer a non-locking cheaper version, since I'm not worried about anyone tampering with it now that I park in a locked garage at home and a secure lot at work.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Once again some self proclaimed brilliant designer at FCA junk car company, came up with a cost saving, aren't we cool, progressive feature. Guarantee that over time dirt and dust will get into the gas tank. Nice to see that a aftermarket company took advantage of a clear opportunity and provided us OCD guys with a solid solution. Fitz

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm willing to bet it was because of people who didn't put the cap on tight and it flagged the EVAC code and then off to the dealer under warranty only to reset it. Get rid of the cap and put a spring loaded flap and no more loose cap...no more EVAC code.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh great, now we have to worry about mice getting in too??? :laughing1:

U sure do, but not in the gas tank, but under the HOOD where all those "yummy" wires R..... Depending upon where U reside of course...