Gas cap missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The height of laziness
Here I thought automatic headlights were outrageous years ago!

What? I can't turn on my own headlights?

This truck puts me in park if I open the door!!!

WTFO :D

Don't get me started on self driving cars ughh

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Had this on my 2012 Ford Fusion, U get used to it.................

Sidetracker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure the same engineers that thought of this, also thought to have an easily serviceable fuel filter to catch all the crud that will get introduced to the fuel system via the "trapdoor" entrance.

Craig G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have not had a vehicle since 2013 that has a screw on fuel cap. The spring loaded sealing fuel door is a great idea and has worked for me flawlessly. For those who are befuddled by no gas cap just wondering how many have you lost ?

SnaefellMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No cap option may work fine in the city and anywhere else that is paved but where I live vehicles get dirty & muddy just in every day use. I have seen road grime/mud/sand get into unusual places, would not want it settling on the whiz bang spring loaded flap.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The height of laziness
Here I thought automatic headlights were outrageous years ago!

What? I can't turn on my own headlights?

This truck puts me in park if I open the door!!!

WTFO :D

Don't get me started on self driving cars ughh
I felt the same way the first time I drove a vehicle with power steering and power brakes, LOL. The capless fuel system is great until it messes up which has happened on quite a few Fords not to mention very expensive to fix depending upon whats wrong with it. I kind of like Auto headlights although they are definitely not a necessity.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have not had a vehicle since 2013 that has a screw on fuel cap. The spring loaded sealing fuel door is a great idea and has worked for me flawlessly. For those who are befuddled by no gas cap just wondering how many have you lost ?
I've lost zero gas caps on the nearly 50 vehicles I've owned since 1979, which all but one had removable gas caps. I take it that you've lost at least one LOL.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My F150 is capless and I like it. Once you get used to capless you'll not want to go back to a cap.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
No cap option may work fine in the city and anywhere else that is paved but where I live vehicles get dirty & muddy just in every day use. I have seen road grime/mud/sand get into unusual places, would not want it settling on the whiz bang spring loaded flap.
There are millions of vehicles running around the world with capless fuel tanks. It's a non-issue. My first vehicle with a capless system was a 2008 Mustang. The manufacturers don't put special caps on the trucks used out on construction sites. Don't lose sleep over it.

Last edited:

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WIfe's 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't have a cap either. It's really no big deal, and she's had it now for seven years without issue.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
GO to Geno's Garage. They have caps now for 2019/2020 DT trucks.

I got my locking caps for both the fuel and DEF at Geno's Garage. Quite pricey but very well made.

But one would think that RAM would have at least had a locking fuel door, but no.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Once again some self proclaimed brilliant designer at FCA junk car company, came up with a cost saving, aren't we cool, progressive feature. Guarantee that over time dirt and dust will get into the gas tank. Nice to see that a aftermarket company took advantage of a clear opportunity and provided us OCD guys with a solid solution. Fitz

Wow. No, these gas fillers have been the norm for almost all car companies for quite a few years, and have actually been around on the racing circuits for decades. Yes, even dirt racing. There is a dual flap design along with other protections to keep dirt from getting in. And what little does, that's what the fuel filter is for.

Basically, the aftermarket guys are taking money from you for no reason. This is the bad side of Capitalism. Sell things based on unwarranted concerns. Gotta love it.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
When I took delivery of my new 2018 2500 diesel, there was a red plastic insert in my filler tube. I kept it in there to keep contaminants out of the first 2-inches of the filler tube, like discussed here. Possibly the "prep" crew forgot to take mine out; or, they left it there, knowing how important this red insert is. Therefore, take a trip to the dealership and ask the "prep" team if they will save you a red plastic insert when they "prep" the next 2020 Ram they put on display. Possibly the parts department may be able too order the "factory" red inserts. It appears to cost $3 at the most.

flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m a little stumped here on a stupid thing. Just got gas for the first time in my 2021 Ram. Opened the fuel door and this is what I see? Looks like maybe I only have part of a gas cap? Or is that normal? I’ve owned a lot of cars but never one with a cap that didn’t screw off!

View attachment 225196
Many newer vehicles don't have gas caps anymore.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fair warning though - if you need to add fuel from a gas can, use the funnel that is located with the jack. There are two flappers that have to open to add gas and a typical gas can won't reach the second one. Saw a new Jeep on the road a few days back and pulled over to help push it to the side and found out they forgot to add gas after the first tank and couldn't get gas in it from a gas can. I guess Jeep has the same setup as the RAM. Pushed it half a block up the road to a gas station and went on my way.
You are good people. Rare to find them today

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My F150 is capless and I like it. Once you get used to capless you'll not want to go back to a cap.
Negative ghost rider...I'm used to it after a year of almost weekly fill-ups. But I'd still prefer to have a removable cap.

Last edited: