Gas cap missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Fingers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Ecodiesel
If there is dirt or dust inside of your fuel door then there is dirt or dust in your fuel.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Too funny, capless system. Been out a lot of years. My wife's 2010 F150 4 X 4 had capless.
Well this old fool has not seen this before, I drive a 14 ram, with a cap, I just dumped a bit of gas in it as I wanted new gas in the can, for the snow blower, Yes that **** is here. Ford, who cares?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well this old fool has not seen this before, I drive a 14 ram, with a cap, I just dumped a bit of gas in it as I wanted new gas in the can, for the snow blower, Yes that **** is here. Ford, who cares?
Same for me. My last truck was a 2017 Rebel, and it had a gas cap.

Wow. No, these gas fillers have been the norm for almost all car companies for quite a few years, and have actually been around on the racing circuits for decades. Yes, even dirt racing. There is a dual flap design along with other protections to keep dirt from getting in. And what little does, that's what the fuel filter is for.

Basically, the aftermarket guys are taking money from you for no reason. This is the bad side of Capitalism. Sell things based on unwarranted concerns. Gotta love it.
I'm sure most people are aware that race cars have had them for years. Anyone who's watched a NASCAR race knows that. The systems that are used on race cars are designed to move as much fuel in as short amount of time as possible, and are quite a bit different than what we have. As are the fuel systems.

Doesn't matter how many flaps there are. Gravity still works, so anything that might be on the outer flap can fall down when the outer flap opens, either onto the next flap or into the tank. It's obviously not common for that to happen, but to say it can't happen is short-sighted. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't make it unwarranted. I won't even get into the inability to lock the fuel filler. Which is also a concern for many.

I'm curious about these other protections you mentioned to keep dirt from getting in (besides the flaps). Can you elaborate?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Not sure there are any wrong answers on this subject.

Yes, capless fuel tanks aren’t really new.
Yes, they can let in contaminates
No, having a cap on the fuel filler tube isn’t a guaranteed clean system either. Old farm boy here. I spent years living on rock roads that turned to mud with not much more than a sprinkling of rain. I’ve watched a lot of dirt fall into gas tanks when you unscrew the gas cap. Anyone remember when the filler tube was behind the spring loaded license plate holder? Try to keep all that dirt, mud and snow out of your tank when you’re living on a rock road.
No, capless systems aren’t secure from theft.
No, capped systems aren’t secure from theft. Not even with up-fitted locking systems, whether it be a locking cap or locking door. Neither is guaranteed to prevent theft. Although they DO deter it.

I work for U-Haul. We have over 60,000 vehicles in our fleet. From 1/2 pickups with capless systems to F-650s with capped saddle tanks. We don’t lose gas by way of siphoning with the capless tanks. They simply drill holes in the tanks. Fill up their buckets, cans or whatever and let the rest drain out onto the ground. We would rather they just siphon it out instead of destroying the gas tank in the process.

And, to my knowledge, we never have contaminate issues with the capless systems. That’s pretty amazing when you consider, it’s a different person putting gas in every single time.

So, bottom line here? There are no wrong answers. Like capless systems or hate them. Trust them to be clean or not. They’re here to stay.

Lock them up of it makes you feel better. I’d rather they siphon the gas than drill the tank. But, it’s your truck, your gas, your money.

Contamination? I’ve seen too much dirt go down the filler tube over the years and, with the number of vehicles U-Haul has with capless systems, and no issues. I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My big thing here, I know they have been using Cap less fuel systems for years and thats not OK for me again I like the peace of mind of knowing some punk kid cant at least put anything down my filler tube, I owned 3 Ferds with the same thing aftermarket came up with a Locking door that was not easy to install and it wasn't very secure, to each there own buyer choice.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive for our local Chrysler dealer. Had to put gas in a new 2020 for a dealer trade, discovered no cap....interesting!