GAS PEDAL HAD NO RESISTANCE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMU-LIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X2
Engine
HEMI 5.7 - 3.21
Morning all, I couldn't find anything about this in my searches so maybe it hasn't happened to anyone else before. Yesterday I was driving on a Houston interstate doing about 60 and I accelerated to about 70 to change lanes for the next exit coming up. After I changed lanes and returned to about 60, when I pressed on my gas pedal there was no resistance for about the first third of pedal travel. It just went down 1/3 and had no effect on acceleration. After getting past that point of no resistance it accelerated normally. After a few miles, the pedal-operated normally and worked fine this morning on my 40-mile drive to work. Anyone ever experience this before?

Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SMU-LIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 - 3.21
Morning all, I couldn't find anything about this in my searches so maybe it hasn't happened to anyone else before. Yesterday I was driving on a Houston interstate doing about 60 and I accelerated to about 70 to change lanes for the next exit coming up. After I changed lanes and returned to about 60, when I pressed on my gas pedal there was no resistance for about the first third of pedal travel. It just went down 1/3 without any resistance and had no effect on acceleration. After getting past that point of no resistance it accelerated normally. After a few miles, the pedal-operated normally and worked fine this morning on my 40-mile drive to work. Anyone ever experience this before?

Thanks.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Morning all, I couldn't find anything about this in my searches so maybe it hasn't happened to anyone else before. Yesterday I was driving on a Houston interstate doing about 60 and I accelerated to about 70 to change lanes for the next exit coming up. After I changed lanes and returned to about 60, when I pressed on my gas pedal there was no resistance for about the first third of pedal travel. It just went down 1/3 without any resistance and had no effect on acceleration. After getting past that point of no resistance it accelerated normally. After a few miles, the pedal-operated normally and worked fine this morning on my 40-mile drive to work. Anyone ever experience this before?

Thanks.

Hi SMU-Live,
We're sorry to hear about your recent concern. If this continues to occur and you decide to have your dealer look into this, feel free to loop us in via private message.
Alex
Ram Cares

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Have not heard anyone mention that myself ! BUT I would take it to the dealer just to be safe !

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any chance the cruise was on? If so the throttle would be already held at a certain point to maintain speed and you would get no throttle response until you exceeded that.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Any chance the cruise was on? If so the throttle would be already held at a certain point to maintain speed and you would get no throttle response until you exceeded that.
That is a very valid point about the Cruise Control ! Now that you have mentioned it I believe I have had that lag issue when in cruise or close to it. I will try my cruise later and see if I get that lag when I want to speed up !

OP
OP
S

SMU-LIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 - 3.21

I'm pretty sure cruise control was not on. Although maybe I had hit it by accident and was driving with it on. I'll try driving with Cruise on today on my way home from work and see if that duplicates the problem. Thank you all for your responses.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It was just a thought. I've been cruising along with it on and gone to pass someone without turning it off and noticed something very similar to what you described. More noticeable going uphill as it requires more throttle input to maintain speed.

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
good point about the cruise control being on.

my guess would be the accelerator pedal itself. when you hop into your truck the gas pedal has the same feel ignition on/off no? i believe a couple of 10mm nuts holding the assembly on and an electrical connector to transfer the signal. at no point should that normal gas pedal feel go away for any reason, even with cruise control, it would be a safety thing i believe. there is a recall to do with the adjustable brake pedals on the 2019 rams, unlikely it has to do with this particular issue but you never know.

look forward to the follow up