Gas prices & alternative secondary vehicles calc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 247873 Wish I had this now, sold it about 3 years ago. It got an honest 28 MPG on the highway when I drove sensible. Fun car to drive, 345 Hemi 6 speed manual!
I really want a 6 speed Challenger next! My dad had a 11 Black R/T. He loved every minute of it. He added the Heritage wheels to his. His was an auto tho.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to throw this in: although 2 vehicles may not be justified in terms of a cost benefit analysis I've had an 'extra' vehicle for many years.
We live 8 miles from a small town, 20 miles from large town, 50 miles from work. If one vehicle breaks down it's a major deal. So having 3 between the 2 of us we both have something to drive. Heck I need another truck when I'm working on mine but have to wait till prices come down.
Plus it spreads the miles around, 25K+ every year on one vehicle is rough!

p.s. CASH, GAS, GRASS or ASS!

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m screwed either way lol. My secondary vehicle 07 Charger RT.. gets maybe 16mpg lol. Pretty sure my 2020 ram DT can either match or get better then that. Guess I need to get a Honda Civic or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
6.4 hemi is not great for commuting, I’m currently doing a 160 mile round trip a day so i run an 09 sonata 4cyl 5 speed I get 30 32 mpg. I paid 3000 for and really love keeping the miles off my truck. The gas savings is great too and my truck feels new all the time when I decide I want to drive it. Buying cheap commuter cars can be a gamble though.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My daily is a '19 GTI. Pretty good even being stuck in traffic all the time. Can get up around/over 30 MPG but in parking lot freeway it's about 24. And all that's assuming I can keep my foot out of it. >.> I was going to trade it in with the truck. Given the environment I know what others are getting and what the online sites are offering. But the dealer gave a low offer and I don't have to sell so daily still it is! And being able to lower the expected annual mileage on it and add very low expected on the truck cut the insurance increase about in half.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck sees about a half a tank of gas a week. Sometimes less. If push comes to shove and we get almost 5 dollars a gallon gas, the Charger will no longer be the toy and be my DD. We drive my wifes Pacifica most of the time anyways so I have no issues with over 20 mpg in either of them.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I’m screwed either way lol. My secondary vehicle 07 Charger RT.. gets maybe 16mpg lol. Pretty sure my 2020 ram DT can either match or get better then that. Guess I need to get a Honda Civic or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frick that crap... I'll deal with my 20 MPG in my Ram. I don't care for cars and the small ones are too unsafe if someone smacks you.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Filled up @ Shell today with mid grade octane for $2.90 / gallon with their online discount of 10 cents per gallon. Still cheap compared to the 2000's, adjusted for price inflation.

Past study showed Shell had highest amount of Top Tier detergent additives among those tested at the time. much higher than Top Tier mandated minimum. I go to Shell whenever I can because of that - even though I don't know if this is still the case. It shows they were at least once dedicated to best performance. There's only 3 stations around here, so I plan my excursions for filling.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Filled up @ Shell today for mid grade octane for $2.90 / gallon with their online discount of 10 cents per gallon. Still cheap compared to the 2000's, adjust for price inflation.

Past study showed Shell had highest amount of Top Tier detergent additives among those tested at the time. much higher than Top Tier mandated minimum. I go to Shell whenever I can because of that - even though I don't know if this is still the case. It shows they were at least once dedicated to best performance. There's only 3 stations around here, so I plan my excursions for filling.

$2.90 isn't bad in the current time, especially for mid-grade. I pay $2.69 at Kroger (10¢ per gallon discount included) for 87 octane. I filled up in San Augustine, TX on my way back from Orange, TX and 87 octane cost me $2.99.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
$2.90 isn't bad in the current time, especially for mid-grade. I pay $2.69 at Kroger (10¢ per gallon discount included) for 87 octane. I filled up in San Augustine, TX on my way back from Orange, TX and 87 octane cost me $2.99.
3.60 a gallon in Pueblo, Co. 85 octane. We always take it in the shorts.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No refineries nearby, probably.
Our closest is right near town. Koch Brothers.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spend close to $9000 a year on fuel for my Ram Limited. If I drove an eco-box instead, I could save about half of that but wouldn't get my work done. I'll drive the Ram. The secondary vehicle is a 21 Grand Cherokee SRT. Again I could drive something fuel efficient and save about $750 a year. The extra 750 for fuel is worth the extra fun to drive an SRT. In fact I just got back from the dealership. I ordered a new Hellcat Durango to replace the SRT. Edit: my wife knows I ordered a Durango but thinks it is an SRT with a 6.4l. I'll likely have to live in the dog house awhile when she finds out!

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I spend close to $9000 a year on fuel for my Ram Limited. If I drove an eco-box instead, I could save about half of that but wouldn't get my work done. I'll drive the Ram. The secondary vehicle is a 21 Grand Cherokee SRT. Again I could drive something fuel efficient and save about $750 a year. The extra 750 for fuel is worth the extra fun to drive an SRT. In fact I just got back from the dealership. I ordered a new Hellcat Durango to replace the SRT.
I'm with you! Why buy something you don't really like! Oh yea, HELLCAT DURANGO or SRT! Spend the money in gas and SMILE or save some money on gas and smirk!

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to drive quite a bit.... Well a LOT.... To justify the cost, maintenance, insurance, etc of a second vehicle.....

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And I drive quite a bit...... I bought this Ram towards the end of January. I will click over 18k miles tomorrow. I always use branded 89 octane and drive it like I stole it. I seldom average 18 MPG

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Heck, I'm getting 15.5 mpg in mixed driving in my 7,500 pound lumbering beast, WITH aggressive all terrain tires! Those numbers were unheard of 20 years ago. I be happy.