Gas tank vent line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janitor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New here. I have a 2014 Ram 1500. Twice since summer of 2020 I've had to get the gas tank vent line replaced due to a critter chewing it. Anyone else had this problem. If so is there a way to spray some repellent up above the tank. This is one crazy problem I never heard of Thanks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Critters can cause all kinds of problems. At least they didn't chew into a 1" bundle of wires! I wonder if you got some heavy-duty freezer tin foil and put that around the lines if it would help??

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same happen to me 2 times lol. Mine was chewed up right at the 90deg bend towards the back of the tank. After the second time I just cut out the chewed section and used a 1/2 piece of tubing. I've had no issues since and it's been over a year for me.

OP
OP
J

Janitor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. 1 year 5 months between times. From new until 2020 zippo problem with this . Dealer lowered tank to replace line. This is getting expensive. I haven't gone under to look at it yet. My back is pretty well shot. Too difficult. Maybe I'll just round up every squirrel and chipmunk in the neighborhood.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
You might try some anti-cribbing stuff. It is to keep horses from chewing their stalls, but it works well to keep woodpeckers from pecking your house. It is wickedly bitter. Use eye protection if spraying it over your face. You can get it from Tractor Supply or the Grange.