Gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Spicer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hi everyone just bought a 2019 ram 1500 Big Horn I’m having issues with the gas tank! Depending on which gas pump I use it seems like it shuts off on me and I have to pull the handle about 20 times just to get a half a tank of gas has anyone else had this issue?

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had this happen on a Chevy Uplander years ago. Three dealers, two independent mechanics, never found a cause. Try pumping very slowly. Good Luck with it, and let me know if you find out what it is.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Shawn Spicer

If you still have a warranty in effect
Don't mess with it

The dealership will check it out
It may be a vent tube the leads from the fill tube down to the top of the fuel tank, if something blocks the vent tube, no liquid can enter the tank if no air can get out of the tank.

For example, take a empty soda bottle, hold it straight up, now turn on the sink faucet on fairly wide open.
You will notice that hardly any water enters the bottle because the air in the bottle can't get out.

First the dealer will try to look at the vent tube & if they can't see anything, they replace the tank under warranty

Good Luck

the vent tube should be like the one on the right

1629280037343.png

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you fill the vehicle, do you stop when the gas pump kicks off the first time or do you try to fill it a bit more by continually squeezing the pump handle a couple more times? If the latter, you have possibly filled the canister and that would cause the problem you describe.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Pretty sure this is a known problem with the gen5 RAM. Depending on the pump it can give you issues.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definitely a known issue. Lots of people have complained about this. Take it in and have it looked at. And avoid topping off your fuel tank (like tron67j mentioned) as that's suspected to contribute to this problem.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Hi everyone just bought a 2019 ram 1500 Big Horn I’m having issues with the gas tank! Depending on which gas pump I use it seems like it shuts off on me and I have to pull the handle about 20 times just to get a half a tank of gas has anyone else had this issue?

This happens to me at certain gas stations. Hold the back of the pump up at an angle and it should be fine, that's what works for me when I run into this issue. It can be annoying, but it's easy to work around. The filler on the tank is too flexible.

HoustonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had this issue with my 2018 1500 (bought pre-owned), if set it on the low or high notch it would kick off after a few seconds. Had to stand there and barely put pressure on it so it wouldn't kick off. Took forever to fill up the tank. Did the same at several different locations. From what I found, it was a redesign of the neck and can cause this issue. Truck was still under warranty and they ended up replacing everything, tank and all. I have had the issue two time trying to fill up at max flow, but now just set the auto fill on the first notch and haven't had a problem.

cpearce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Ram, i will contact the dealership, it is still under warranty,

thanks for the information

Squeaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Billet Sliver Limited 4x4 Crew cab
Engine
HEMI e-Torque
Yes, it happens almost always on my 2019 Limited, a few times it did not. VERY frustrating. Takes so long to get it "ALMOST full", folks ask, "Geez, just how big is the tank in that thing?"

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
early on after buying my '19 laramie I had that problem with mine after inadvertantly overfilling the tank. it threw a code and would not let me remote start it. I went to an autozone and they read the code but told me there were no parts available yet..this was in september of '18. I was out of town at the time so just bought a scanner when I got back home and cleared the code. it has not come back since. the extra fuel in the top of the filler tube was the culprit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963