Gas vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have heard that BUT my 2012 CTD only got 12 around here and 15 on the highway. My 6.4 does better than that AND gas is cheaper to so in my case I didn't find that to be true. I also had a lot of concerns with possible expensive problems and I always had an oil change light kick on around 5000 miles so maintenance was more costly also.

I go by averages not one offs which I use the averages on Fuelly. There may be a person who is a one off, but they are not even close to being the norm. Also, the 2014 and up trucks are every 15k while the 6.4L is every 8k. While a Cummins PM does cost more, you can go almost twice as long between changes which brings them to about equal.

code54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go by averages not one offs which I use the averages on Fuelly. There may be a person who is a one off, but they are not even close to being the norm. Also, the 2014 and up trucks are every 15k while the 6.4L is every 8k. While a Cummins PM does cost more, you can go almost twice as long between changes which brings them to about equal.

I go with the one(s) I am paying for, I don't worry about what others are paying, that is their choice.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I go with the one(s) I am paying for, I don't worry about what others are paying, that is their choice.

That is true for you, but when one is looking at what to expect from a 6.4L or Cummins(especially a current one that gets better fuel economy and has longer PM intervals) then it is best to speak in terms of averages and not one offs. I can say I get 20 mpg since I have done that once before in my truck, but that was just a one off situation that has never happen before. So when someone does ask what kind of mileage I get, I tell them my average not some number that I was only able to hit once.

David Skinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ask and you shall receive. Updated with current numbers.

6-4w87-vs-6-7.png
As stated above, don't forget the resale value in you total cost of ownership calcs. typically deisels sell for the same amount over a gasser as new.

Last edited:

David Skinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m towing a 41’vengence toyhauler, with 16-2500 Diesel. It seems to always be struggling even on small up grades. We decided to upgrade to a 3500, but found cost where out of our affordable range. So, we took truck the get it weighed. What I learned is we’re running at close to max capacity. Truck and trailer, no bikes but full tanks, we are right at 23,000 combined weight. Having to do it all over I would by that 3500 and not have to worry about overloading. It’s nice getting 21-23 mpg without a load, but crawling over mountains gets aggravating.
Lots of ways to improve performance. Regearing is expensive but doable!

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sold a '14 Cummins that I bought new and had a lifetime average of 12.2. 100k when I sold it. Never reset it the entire time I owned it. Must be a 'two off' situation...my 6.4 gets the same.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Sold a '14 Cummins that I bought new and had a lifetime average of 12.2. 100k when I sold it. Never reset it the entire time I owned it. Must be a 'two off' situation...my 6.4 gets the same.

I don't go by what the computer says because it is nowhere near accurate especially the trip computer.

I have a trip computer that I haven't reset for the last 10k miles. A few thousand miles ago when I checked it read 18 mpg which is normally what my computer normally states on tanks I do not tow. About 700 miles ago it read 13 mpg and coincidentally that was very close to the computer average of the current tank because I was towing an RV for most of the tank. I just checked it again about 100 miles ago and it was back up to 18 mpg which coincidentally again was very close to the current tank average. There is no way in the world that I can make a 10k average of 13 mpg up to 18 mpg in the course of 600 miles unless I was getting well north of 100 mpg for all 600 miles which we both know is impossible. The trip will fluctuate wildly depending on the mpg of the current tank even with tens of thousands of miles logged.

This is why I go based on actual calculated mpg and not computer. Fuelly is based on actual calculated mileage as well.

Last edited:

Baxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
[QUOTE = "Brandon32689, post: 2127738, member: 75396"] Je cherche à sortir d'une demi-tonne et à une 3/4 tonne. Je veux une remorque de transport de jouets et un RZR 4 places. Pour ce que je regarde je vais tirer environ 8-11k en fonction de ce que je finis par aller avec total. Je pense que le diesel va tirer un peu mieux, mais je suis inquiet de tous les problèmes qui peuvent se poser. Je voudrais également utiliser un autre véhicule. Si j'achetais neuf, j'irais simplement avec le diesel et aurais une garantie. J'ai lu sur le 6.4 Il y a des problèmes de levage? Est-ce que certaines années ou est-ce que tous peuvent l'avoir? Je cherche juste des avis maintenant. [/ CITATION]
Salut brandon prend tout suite un diesel

Baxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
[QUOTE = "Brandon32689, post: 2127738, member: 75396"] Je cherche à sortir d'une demi-tonne et à une 3/4 tonne. Je veux une remorque de transport de jouets et un RZR 4 places. Pour ce que je regarde je vais tirer environ 8-11k en fonction de ce que je finis par aller avec total. Je pense que le diesel va tirer un peu mieux, mais je suis inquiet de tous les problèmes qui peuvent se poser. Je voudrais également utiliser un autre véhicule. Si j'achetais neuf, j'irais simplement avec le diesel et aurais une garantie. J'ai lu sur le 6.4 Il y a des problèmes de levage? Est-ce que certaines années ou est-ce que tous peuvent l'avoir? Je cherche juste des avis maintenant. [/ CITATION]

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

All of your posts keep getting converted to French. Pretty sure most of us don't have a clue what you are saying?

Baxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Salut brandon pour repondre à ta question tout depend combien de millage par anné en bas de 20k le modele 2500 6.4 gear4.10 vas faire la job si tu fait plus de millage vas y avec un cummins il vas tiré comme un rêve et plus economique en fuel

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Salut brandon pour repondre à ta question tout depend combien de millage par anné en bas de 20k le modele 2500 6.4 gear4.10 vas faire la job si tu fait plus de millage vas y avec un cummins il vas tiré comme un rêve et plus economique en fuel
He is saying that people with the 6.4 are the coolest people on the forum. And far better looking then the rest. I THINK

Frank4711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a CTD (2012) and it towed great. I mostly am around 12K and not towing real often so I went with a 18' 6.4 and am pleased with it. Does a great job and around us gas is about 50-60 cents less a gallon so the mileage isn't an issue.
So the 6.4 does not need premium? ... here diesel is 38 cent a gallon cheaper than premium ... thanks I am looking to upgrade trying to decide 6.4 or CTD

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So the 6.4 does not need premium? ... here diesel is 38 cent a gallon cheaper than premium ... thanks I am looking to upgrade trying to decide 6.4 or CTD
Midgrade/89 Octane is recommended for the 6.4. Some have reported better fuel efficiency and more responsive engine especially if hot or towing heavy.
If your planning on towing 10K or better on a regular basis, the CTD is probably the better choice.

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I had a Challenger Scat Pack with the 6.4L and it needed 93 to run right. Got no more than 14 mpg with it. My 6.7L Cummins Ram with 4wd and MT is getting around 20 mpg. I am amazed on how fuel efficient the thing is, but suppose a lot of the reason is the MT and flat FLA terrain.