Gasoline leaking from side of gas tank of my 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Warlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
Hello anyone in here, has anyone had an experience with gasoline leaking from the side of the gas tank? I have a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Warlock with only 18,500 miles on it and still under warranty. 2 days ago I tanked it to full. I woke up this morning and went outside and wow!! there was a pool of gasoline under my pickup. I turn my vehicle on and looked at my panel it was 1/2 tank reading. I drove to Larry Miller Dodge dealership in Peoria Arizona from Sun City Arizona 5 miles away and took it to service and when I stopped at their service area gasoline was still leaking from the side of the gas tank and it was looking like it was coming from a valve like circular area. The service guy told me that I would end up paying for it but I told him I'm still under warranty. My 3 year warranty expires this October 2023. This is not a road hazard situation where a debris hit it in the bottom and I never ran over a heavy object. It's obvious that my part of my gas tank is leaking from the side and not the bottom. What do you think? I called MOPAR warranty and they told me that I'm still covered but the guy at the dealership shop told me I'm not.

Has this happened to anyone in here???

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haven't had the problem or heard of it.....but....I agree....this should be covered under warranty. Escalate to manager or find another dealer.......yell real loud.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Never heard of this issue. If it is a valve or vent leaking, talk to the service manager, then the general manager. Unless they can prove it was road hazard they cannot deny warranty. Even Mopar says it is covered. Maybe PM Ram Cares on here.

If there is a close by other dealer, might be easier to just take it there. Let us know how it works out.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get someone to tell you it’s covered ,by email . So you have proof they authorized the repair . Maybe someone was trying to steal fuel and put a hole in it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get someone to tell you it’s covered ,by email . So you have proof they authorized the repair . Maybe someone was trying to steal fuel and put a hole in it.
Never seen them drill the side, the buttwads just drill the bottom, take what they want and let the rest run out onto the ground.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purge Valve is located on the side of the filler neck, it could be leaking from there, one word of caution when you fill the tank after the first click, you're done filling the tank, if you overfilled it could have caused the purge valve to stick, at any rate its covered under your 3-36 warrantee.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purge Valve is located on the side of the filler neck, it could be leaking from there, one word of caution when you fill the tank after the first click, you're done filling the tank, if you overfilled it could have caused the purge valve to stick, at any rate its covered under your 3-36 warrantee.
I fill to 1st Click, then just even up to the next dollar amount. Not wanna push it hard and possibly have fuel dumping into cannister system.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I fill to 1st Click, then just even up to the next dollar amount. Not wanna push it hard and possibly have fuel dumping into cannister system.
I see old habits die hard. :cheers:I never even bother rounding off. My credit card could care less. Only time rounding helped was when I still paid cash for gas. Saved a pocket full of change.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hmmm, a "valve like" circular area on the side of the tank. I have not seen any regular truck tanks with fittings on the sides. All that I have seen have the valves, hoses, vents and wiring on the top. Perhaps a fuel thief drilled into one of the injection molding inlets or outlets. These are used / created when the tank is manufactured to put the liquid plastic into the mold and extract air. They are usually sealed up as part of the manufacturing process.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see old habits die hard. :cheers:I never even bother rounding off. My credit card could care less. Only time rounding helped was when I still paid cash for gas. Saved a pocket full of change.
I JUST round off because when I "pay" my bills, I always get check book to straight dollars, and no cents, less likely to have an oops moment and loose my mind wondering how did I goof up check book balance. JUST old Military Habit. Just like overseas, WE never used pennies. All prices were rounded up/down to the next $.05 amount to even amounts so no need for pennies. I kinda like that idea, wish they do here since it costs way to much to make pennies ne way. Just a thought, but then I am a BOIRD.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Canada doesn't have pennies either. On a CC, price is whatever, 24.23, paid cash it is 24.25. 24.22 is 24.20. While that is the official policy, many businesses choose to voluntarily round everything down. Easier on the accounting and custoemrs aren't peed off. Our 1 and 2 dollar currency is coins as well.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn’t sound like it’s a question or the warranty but what’s broken and how it got broken.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
does your phone have a camera, take a pix or 2

as far as rounding off when filling your fuel tank
i much rather have my bill on my card end read something like
$ 40.57, instead of $ 40.00

My credit union flags charges when they see 2 charges of $ 40.57 on the same day & place.

Where as if they see 2 charges of $ 40.00, they might be led to think that i got $ 40.00 of gas & $ 40.00 of cash

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not being argumentative, that’s not a valve on the side of the fuel filler neck. It’s the evap canister vent filter. The purge valve is located in the engine compartment near the throttle body. The only way that vent filter could leak gas is for the gas to be forced through the tank, past the ESIMD, through the evap canister and up out of the hose through that filter. The only reason I know this is my 2018 refused to accept fuel early last winter and I had the distinct privilege of replacing just about everything from the fuel filler neck to the purge valve myself. Just don’t want to send the OP down the wrong rabbit hole. If he’s sure the fuel is leaking from the side of the tank I’d guess it’s either punctured or the evaporative system integrity module detector (ESIMD) is leaking on the side of the evap canister. The evap canister is kinda on the side of the fuel tank.B7307642-868E-440F-BF4E-8467F12C054D.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does your phone have a camera, take a pix or 2

as far as rounding off when filling your fuel tank
i much rather have my bill on my card end read something like
$ 40.57, instead of $ 40.00

My credit union flags charges when they see 2 charges of $ 40.57 on the same day & place.

Where as if they see 2 charges of $ 40.00, they might be led to think that i got $ 40.00 of gas & $ 40.00 of cash
I always know what dollars does what, but the rounding is just an old habit. Just my own inane thoughts and ideas.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I JUST round off because when I "pay" my bills, I always get check book to straight dollars, and no cents, less likely to have an oops moment and loose my mind wondering how did I goof up check book balance. JUST old Military Habit. Just like overseas, WE never used pennies. All prices were rounded up/down to the next $.05 amount to even amounts so no need for pennies. I kinda like that idea, wish they do here since it costs way to much to make pennies ne way. Just a thought, but then I am a BOIRD.
Doesn’t the consumer loose that way ?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn’t the consumer loose that way ?
NAH, just a round up to next Nickel or round down. All washes out in the end. No friggin pennies to carry when I was in Europe, but did have them lil German pfenning coins, LOL.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(ESIMD) is leaking on the side of the evap canister. The evap canister is kinda on the side of the fuel tank.
Yes, I stand to be corrected, I thought the purge valve was on the side of the filler neck the evap canister vent filter is on the side of the filler neck!

OP
OP
P

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
Hello anyone in here, has anyone had an experience with gasoline leaking from the side of the gas tank? I have a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Warlock with only 18,500 miles on it and still under warranty. 2 days ago I tanked it to full. I woke up this morning and went outside and wow!! there was a pool of gasoline under my pickup. I turn my vehicle on and looked at my panel it was 1/2 tank reading. I drove to Larry Miller Dodge dealership in Peoria Arizona from Sun City Arizona 5 miles away and took it to service and when I stopped at their service area gasoline was still leaking from the side of the gas tank and it was looking like it was coming from a valve like circular area. The service guy told me that I would end up paying for it but I told him I'm still under warranty. My 3 year warranty expires this October 2023. This is not a road hazard situation where a debris hit it in the bottom and I never ran over a heavy object. It's obvious that my part of my gas tank is leaking from the side and not the bottom. What do you think? I called MOPAR warranty and they told me that I'm still covered but the guy at the dealership shop told me I'm not.

Has this happened to anyone in here???
UPDATE!!! HELLO EVERYONE THAT REPLIED TO MY POST I PUT OUT LAST SATURDAY. THE TECH AT THE DEALERSHIP FOUND OUT THAT A DRILL HOLE WAS THE CAUSED OF THE LEAK AND I WAS A VICTIM OF GASOLINE THIEVES. THE THIEVES ARE DRILLING HOLES ON THE SIDE OF THE GAS TANKS TO STEAL IT; IT'S THEIR METHOD NOW TO STEAL GASOLINE FROM ALL NEWER VEHICLES. SO IT'S NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. THE SERVICE GUY TOLD ME I HAVE TO REPLACE MY WHOLE GAS TANK AT A TOTAL COST OF $937.44; PARTS AND LABOR. MY INSURANCE DEDUCTIBLE IS $1,000 SO I WILL END UP PAYING FOR IT. WE IN ARIZONA HAVE A BUNCH OF THIRD WORLD TRASH FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, SO PARK YOUR BIG VEHICLES INSIDE THE GARAGE. I'M SO GLAD I HAVE MY COMMUTE SMALL CAR TO GO TO WORK AND MY PICKUP IS OUT OF ACTION FOR 1-2 WEEKS WHILE I AWAIT THE PART TO COME FROM LOS ANGELES CALIF.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well, that really sucks. Glad you got it figured out though. At least with the side drill you still have enough gas to drive it to the dealer. Thieves around here drill the bottom so you have to pug it or tow it.