Gator back style Belts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Does any one know where I can get one for my truck?

Autoplicity listed them, so I ordered two. Jacknuts sent me Continental ribbed belts so I'm returning them.

I had one on my truck for years but it finally wore out. Quietest belt I've run.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I thought those were v-belts not made for dodge rams.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Continental bought out Gatorback. They still sell em but I forget under what labeling. I can find a pn real quick

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Thank you!. It's a hair shorter than the 407975 that most call for...just a quarter inch.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually they also have that belt if you don't add the "2001 ram 1500" part to the search breakdown

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Interesting...

The listing is bass ackwards from everyone else. 407975 is listed for 95 Rams only. Everywhere else lists 407972 for 1995 trucks and the 975 belt is listed for all other years.
I ordered a 972, if it ruins my tensioner, I'll know.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
So I got my belt last night.

)(*&(*(^%*$$**666%! Sent me a %$^## ribbed belt! So I sent it back today and fired off an email to their customer service department about erroneous information.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I actually have had problems myself since i posted on this. Rockauto claims they're doing a wholesaler closeout and replacing the perfect amazing gatorbacks with a new ribbed belt that is pretty standard to everything else. Im pissed about it

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I looked on Rock Auto first....that's where I got my last cog belt (Continental) from. I tried to find the close outs and got no where. Rock Auto pretty much sucks like every one else.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here's the email i sent to continental aka crp industries

"I just wanted to say thank you for eliminating the wonderful perfect helicog style belts. I now need to find a different brand because I'm not going to pay more for the same crap style belts that everybody else sells"

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
So I get this note back fro a CRS at Summit who starts off by misspelling my name...

I will note the order as well for you. Please keep in mind we do list "image is a representation of this item. Actual item may vary." if we do not have the actual image. The description/overview is the best thing to go off. The item you purchased does not state cog belt like this example does next to the image. Just to help with future ordering.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-15720/overview/

This time I can waive the return shipping. Although, keep in mind you will be responsible for return shipping in the future if item ordered is incorrect. Looking at our cog belts the one above is the longest I could locate which is the 72 inch. I noticed you purchased a 97 inch the one above is also a Dayco our Continental options were no larger than the 40s. I added the link below for cog belts.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/accessory-belts?N=4294943626&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=cog belts

We appreciate your business.
Thank you,

I left the CSR's name off. So basically they apparently don't have cog belts to sell. The product description does state "ribbed belt" so I'm guessing Continental doesn't make them anymore.

Here was my response...

Thank you for reversing the restock charge, it will not be a problem in the future.

Ribbed belts are NOT cog belts, Apples to Oranges. Meat to potatoes. Ford to Chevy. I certainly read the fine print, but when I order an apple I don't expect an orange.

Plain and simple your photos don't match the product.
.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cel-4070972/overview/year/2001/make/dodge/model/ram-1500
If you're selling a rib belt you shouldn't post this photo, or this one.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cel-4070972/overview/year/2001/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

I can buy a quality ribbed belt for half of what you charge. Your 33 dollar price is reflective of a cog belt.

I will also pass on your conflicting information to the members of the various Ram forums and social medial pages I belong to so others interested in a cog belt will not make the same error.
Meanwhile someone on your site should replace the misleading pictures.
signed...

I usually make a point NOT to order anything where the fine print says "actual product may vary". This incident is why.
It'll be a long time before Summit gets my business.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I found two Continental Cog belts on closeout on Rock auto. Against my better judgement I ordered them just hoping one will be good.

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just a thought but the last time I replaced my belt, Napa sold me one they said is used for racing and really high output motors. It's green. Looked a little weird at first, but now it's almost black. It's the quietest belt I've ever had and never slips.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just a thought but the last time I replaced my belt, Napa sold me one they said is used for racing and really high output motors. It's green. Looked a little weird at first, but now it's almost black. It's the quietest belt I've ever had and never slips.
Gates Green Belts. Yeah.... also discontinued. Replaced by the RPM Series. Those and the Gatorbacks are both popular in supercharger builds

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I believe Napa doesn't make one (performance belt) for Dodges. Nor do they make the Fleetrunner "green belt" for a gas application. Fleetrunners are stocked for HD apps and performance belts are stocked for GM apps.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I got my belts. Rockauto came through and sent me 2 Continental cog belts. If they last as long as the Goodyear, they'll outlast me!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I got the Cog belts I ordered for my car too! Both were continental on rockauto but one was actually labeled with the Goodyear gatorback badging

Evilsizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i should have searched before i ordered the conti belt from rockauto, thought it was gatorback style. they had no picture showing what it looked like, wonder how bad its going to bite me to send it back, then get the green one.