Gear limit switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bertrrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my 2021 2500 there is a " Gear Limit " switch (+/-)
Can anyone explain their function ?
Cant find it in the manual as yet

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Page 167 explains it.
If you press - the gear your are in will display on the instrument screen. It will also show the highest gear you can be in.
So if you press - at a stop it will show 1/1 which means it will stay in 1st gear. Press + and it will show 1/2 meaning 2nd is the highest. Press until it shows 1/6 and 6th will be the highest.
It will also show which gear you're in as you drive.
I like to see what gear I'm in so I usually wait until I'm in 6th then I push - and it shows 6/6. When you slow down it will show the gear you're in as it downshifts.
If you're pulling a load up a hill and you want it to stay in 5th you would hit the - and it would show5/5 and stay in 5th gear.
Try playing with it and you'll get it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Basically the gear limit switch does exactly that, it sets the Maximum gear the transmission will shift into. If you set it on 5, it will still start out in 1 and shift up or down through the gears normally, it just won't let the transmission go above 5. You can also use it to ensure compression braking going downhill by setting it in a lower gear. Final point, in Tow mode shifts are more aggressive but the limit switch still works the same way. Basically works exactly the same as the old column mounted gear selectors on earlier automatics. I like the way it works much better on my 8 Speed than the way my Cherokee works on the 8 speed in manual mode, where a manual gear selection always drops the gear to 1 and you have to manually upshift from each stop, and the transmission will not downshift idf if you step on the gas. If you have 7 selected, that is where it stays even if you matt the gas. Very poor system design on the Grand Cherokee.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And don’t tow heavy above 4th gear.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The Gear Limit toggles are also very useful when one wants to keep those rpms up when doing a lot of extended around town driving only. In order to get and keep an ideal operating temperature for more complete combustion. That helps me alot because in this very small town I live in a rural part of SW Arizona, has low speed limits all over. This was at the suggestion of the Dealership Shop Forman when I told him how dirty and gritty my engine oil had become with only 5,000 miles on it.

Since then I have noticed how much cleaner my oil looks on the dip stick. :)