Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm wondering if I change from 3.55 gear ratio to 4.10 would it help the towing performance? Right now I drive 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi and use a 275/55R20.... My trailer is 24 foot long and weigh 6000 loaded

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should. But you’ll probably use more fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm prepared for that... If it help improve the towing then I'm ok with the penalty for a better towing ability and easier on the tranny (that's my thinking lol)

Alangsam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if I change from 3.55 gear ratio to 4.10 would it help the towing performance? Right now I drive 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi and use a 275/55R20.... My trailer is 24 foot long and weigh 6000 loaded

3.92 would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you pull that trailer a lot? Depending on where all ya pull that trailer, might not be worth the money swapping both front and rear diffs.

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well I tow once or twice a month and the distance usually about at max 4 hrs and but this coming July we are going to travel to Halifax which is about 18 to 19 hours so I just wanted to be sure about all this .. Guessing my truck will do the job fine and yes we are going to take a break every 6 hrs or so.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4:10 would be good if you pulled it all the time but for that, I would think 3:92 would be plenty.

Granted I didn’t pull it very far but, that time I pulled a buddy’s mustang down to a tranny shop on a fairly heavy duty flatbed, my hemi with 3:92’s pulled it quite nicely. I wasn’t up in hills or nothin but I was quite impressed.

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok so basically 3.92 will do it but if I wish 4.10 will do more effectively and either way my truck is good to go right? 3.55 will do fine but more work for tranny right?

ChrisInMilwaukee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My ‘11 has 3.92 and I pulled a 6000lb travel trailer with it, no problem. Be ready for 6-7mpg, however.

Did a fine, job, though.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
You might want to consider a custom tune.

This is what I was going to suggest. Even the "over the counter" tunes change up your shift points and overall make towing easier on the truck. Apples and oranges sorta, but a few years ago I was considering getting a 3/4 ton but after plugging a BullyDog tune into my Nissan Titan, it totally changed the towing characteristics and was a much easier rig to pull my 6k boat around with. Plus you can turn it back to stock when you're not towing and at least save a drop or two of fuel. Would be a cheap test, and if it doesn't work for you, they are easy to resell without too much loss in $$ or continue to use it with new gears.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was told there's risk to that and was told it's best to change gear ratio

Well, anytime you mess with stuff that’s electrical, there’s always room for risk but that programmer is a much cheaper, simpler option than paying someone to change your ring and pinions. Unless you do it yourself which involves proper knowledge and special tools so you don’t make the gear mesh too tight or too loose which will cause quick wear and failure if it’s not done precisely. The tuner will optimize your motor’s power band, along with optimizing your transmission’s shift points. On a higher note tho, a gear change will put a little more ease on your drive train.

One more thing to consider, a tuner will make for better driving experience and could help with mileage for when you’re not towing. And it’ll help when you do. Gear change will be all the time setup for towing. There is no in between.

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Makes sense to me.... Basically changing the gear ratio is one and done and Bully has more of a option to "play"...... Point taken.... Overall my concern is the ability to handle towing a 6,000 pounds for a long haul and possibly of a hilly drive (first big long trip)..... I hope my 3.55 gear with 5 speed able to handle that if not then suggestion is changing gear or go Bully.....