Gear shifter problems , stuck in park.2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, yesterday, SIL's 2012 Laramie, 5.7 with auto counsel shifter is stuck in park and no start.
He said the shift lever felt real stiff. This was at the cabin of course, no services around.
I was going out anyway, so took some oil, cleaner, tools, booster, etc.
First thing ,pulled up the cover and stuck a screw driver in the counsel, and we got shift lever into neutral, and truck started fine and shifted.
So he can check it when back home , in my 80's I don't need to roll around in the dirt, but he said it looked OK under the truck. so may have to pull the center counsel apart, I have never had one opened.
I am thinking neutral switch is jammed up?
Is it hard to get the covers off those?

I believe this may be the first post I ever started, usally just jump on others with BS or wisdom, or questions.
Happy Fathers Days to all you guys, Yesterday weather was great at the lake , today its cold , windy and raining.
Typical for Sask. holiday weather.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
its a simple job

in the top image
look at the very top of image one, just above the shifter, you should see the mini light bulb

1718570296033.png

1718570571038.png
shifter handle
1718570695239.png

1718570798853.png
REMOVE the 2 screws, that are hidden under the rubber pad that is in the front tray that are at the base of the dash boards center stack.

In the bottom of the floor console tray, remove the large rubber pad.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Under the big rubber pad, if i recall correctly, there are 3 screws, ( 2 are silver, one is gold ), don't misplace them

There are 2 electrical connectors, cigarette lighter & a mini bulb that lights up the shifters positions, PRNDL

I believe that i am holding the connector that plugs into the cigarette lighter

1718572133255.png

ignore the new wiring, that is for the CB Radio

When you have removed all of the screws holding the tray down

If i remember right, lift the arm rest lid & the other cover too
Grab the back of the tray, close to the rear of the tray, jerk upwards.

I believe that is how i lifted the tray out, i may be confused with my 2016, i had to do that one also.

When you lift the tray, be careful of the small wire for the mini light, it is fragile.

Caution: IF your truck has the small access panel ..
If you decide to remove the little access panel, that is located in the side panel of the console, where the drivers knee may touch.
That panels clips break easily :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshall

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you ,I will talk to him later , it sounds like it started working OK again, from what I hear, may be just dry, sticky.