Gear (Whine) Noise above 57 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

426power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I have noticed recently I seem to have a gear whining noise in the front end. Its when I am on the freeway and at a constant speed above 57 mph where I am easy on and off the throttle. You can hear it while i'm on the throttle to keep the speed and then for a couple seconds when i get off the throttle. When I get off the throttle you can hear the noise for a couple seconds then it goes away. It is not the tires. Any help or if anyone else is experiencing this please let me know. I may just take it to the dealer, but would like to know what it may be and you guys are very helpful and knowledgeable on here.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
You've got me curious now. My truck has always made a whining sound on the highway, but it sounds electronic to me, like interference in the speakers. I actually thought it went away when I pushed mute, but I have realized now that isn't the case. Only happens when holding a steady speed. When applying throttle, or letting off, the sound goes away. I'm going to see if it could be gears whining now. Unfortunately, everyone I know has worse hearing than I do, and usually don't hear it, so I can't get anyone else to help me find the noise.

We may have separate issues, but I'm going to try and look into mine a little more now.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Guys I have noticed recently I seem to have a gear whining noise in the front end. Its when I am on the freeway and at a constant speed above 57 mph where I am easy on and off the throttle. You can hear it while i'm on the throttle to keep the speed and then for a couple seconds when i get off the throttle. When I get off the throttle you can hear the noise for a couple seconds then it goes away. It is not the tires. Any help or if anyone else is experiencing this please let me know. I may just take it to the dealer, but would like to know what it may be and you guys are very helpful and knowledgeable on here.

Hello 426power,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please follow up with us privately if you decide to have your truck diagnosed by your certified Ram dealer. We would be happy to further assist throughout this process.
Laura
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
You've got me curious now. My truck has always made a whining sound on the highway, but it sounds electronic to me, like interference in the speakers. I actually thought it went away when I pushed mute, but I have realized now that isn't the case. Only happens when holding a steady speed. When applying throttle, or letting off, the sound goes away. I'm going to see if it could be gears whining now. Unfortunately, everyone I know has worse hearing than I do, and usually don't hear it, so I can't get anyone else to help me find the noise.

We may have separate issues, but I'm going to try and look into mine a little more now.

Hello Jmod45,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please follow up with us privately if you decide to have your truck diagnosed by your certified Ram dealer. We would be happy to further assist throughout this process.
Laura
RamCares

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in 2wd the front ring and pinion really dont spin so it would be unable to make the noise you describe. maybe you have a wheel bearing going out. or belt idler pulley bad. or the rear diff making the noise

Matt1751

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a very similar issue but was occurring around 40-50 mph. Sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment. Took it to the dealer and had them take a ride with me to hear it. Left the truck as they were also unable to determine where it was coming from. I left the truck at the dealer and received a call later saying they put truck on lift and found the sound to be coming from the rear and there was a bad bearing and had to order parts. This was last Tuesday. Got a call again this Tuesday saying the bearings were in but now noticed abnormal wear on the ring gear and had to order parts. So basically all new gears and bearings in the rear. Truck was finished late Friday afternoon(yesterday). Picked up truck last night and so far no noise but only drove 10 min home. By the way my truck is a 2018 2500 Diesel with 13k miles on it. Sorry for the long reply.

Ole 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My rear whines at exactly 60 mph and above (on throttle). Quite audiable over the radio. Dealer drove and says that's normal. "Some of the HD trucks do that" was their response. Yeah, sure. No other HD truck I've owned did. Does sound like it is more forward but it is the rear diff. I'll run it till I bust it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I had a very similar issue but was occurring around 40-50 mph. Sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment. Took it to the dealer and had them take a ride with me to hear it. Left the truck as they were also unable to determine where it was coming from. I left the truck at the dealer and received a call later saying they put truck on lift and found the sound to be coming from the rear and there was a bad bearing and had to order parts. This was last Tuesday. Got a call again this Tuesday saying the bearings were in but now noticed abnormal wear on the ring gear and had to order parts. So basically all new gears and bearings in the rear. Truck was finished late Friday afternoon(yesterday). Picked up truck last night and so far no noise but only drove 10 min home. By the way my truck is a 2018 2500 Diesel with 13k miles on it. Sorry for the long reply.

Hi Matt,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer was able to address this concern for you! If this comes back or you happen to experience any additional concerns, our team is just a private message away and more than happy to provide assistance.

My rear whines at exactly 60 mph and above (on throttle). Quite audiable over the radio. Dealer drove and says that's normal. "Some of the HD trucks do that" was their response. Yeah, sure. No other HD truck I've owned did. Does sound like it is more forward but it is the rear diff. I'll run it till I bust it.

Hi Ole 340,

If you ever plan to address this with another dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Matt1751

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Matt,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer was able to address this concern for you! If this comes back or you happen to experience any additional concerns, our team is just a private message away and more than happy to provide assistance.

Hi Ole 340,

If you ever plan to address this with another dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Thanks Mark. It’s actually going back in tomorrow morning. There are signs of oil that came from behind one of the passengers side rear wheel lug nuts and ran down the wheel to the tire. I’m hoping it was just residual oil and not the axle seals leaking.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks Mark. It’s actually going back in tomorrow morning. There are signs of oil that came from behind one of the passengers side rear wheel lug nuts and ran down the wheel to the tire. I’m hoping it was just residual oil and not the axle seals leaking.

Thanks for following up, Matt. I'm sorry to hear this. If you would be interested in any additional support while working with your dealer, please follow up with me via PM when you can. I'd be happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I experienced a similar whine coming from my rear axle, or that area after about 15,000 miles. Before that the truck was quiet up to and beyond 60MPH. Right before taking it to a local dealer it would get real loud around 70mph. The dealer acknowledged the noise and replaced the ring and pinion. After that the truck is quiet again. These axles are NOT supposed to be noisy and if dealer say that's normal, that's just plain BS.

Most of my noise started after towing my 5th wheel from Texas to California and back. I spoke with an AAM axle shop in Houston and they told me to quit using the Mopar oils in the differential. So I changed to a standard but heavier weight oil like 75-140W. I've since towed the same 5th wheel to Colorado and back, and a 5,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and back. The ring and pinion is still quiet to this day at any speed.

Find another dealer who will fix it. One dealer close to me would not open a ticket until I took my truck and 5th wheel to a truck scale and prove it was not over weight. They said this was a request from FCA. So I contacted another dealer who had been in business for 30+ years and they just fixed it without any questions.

OP
OP
426power

426power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I experienced a similar whine coming from my rear axle, or that area after about 15,000 miles. Before that the truck was quiet up to and beyond 60MPH. Right before taking it to a local dealer it would get real loud around 70mph. The dealer acknowledged the noise and replaced the ring and pinion. After that the truck is quiet again. These axles are NOT supposed to be noisy and if dealer say that's normal, that's just plain BS.

Most of my noise started after towing my 5th wheel from Texas to California and back. I spoke with an AAM axle shop in Houston and they told me to quit using the Mopar oils in the differential. So I changed to a standard but heavier weight oil like 75-140W. I've since towed the same 5th wheel to Colorado and back, and a 5,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and back. The ring and pinion is still quiet to this day at any speed.

Find another dealer who will fix it. One dealer close to me would not open a ticket until I took my truck and 5th wheel to a truck scale and prove it was not over weight. They said this was a request from FCA. So I contacted another dealer who had been in business for 30+ years and they just fixed it without any questions.

I made an appointment at my local dealer for next Friday. I will see what they say.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I made an appointment at my local dealer for next Friday. I will see what they say.

Hi 426power,

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If we can be of any additional assistance, we're happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
426power

426power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I took the truck to the dealer and the rear diff needs rebuilt at 23,000 miles. They ordered new ring and pinion gears and all bearings. Ill keep you updated once the work is completed.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well I took the truck to the dealer and the rear diff needs rebuilt at 23,000 miles. They ordered new ring and pinion gears and all bearings. Ill keep you updated once the work is completed.

Thank you for following up to provide this update, 426power. Our team is just a PM away if you are in need of any additional assistance.

Mark
RamCares