Gearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Is the rearend gearing different between a truck with an automatic vs. one with a standard?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All else being equal, the gear ratio should be the same. I'll make a guess as to why you are asking. It's because of the difference in tow capacity between identical trucks, isn't it? And you're wondering why the tow capacity for the manual is less.

I asked the same question when I bought my Silverado 1500 4x4 years ago. It's because many people think they know how to tow with a manual transmission, but they really don't - start out in 2nd gear, don't downshift properly on a grade, etc. Because of that, the manufacturers got tired of replacing transmissions under warranty so they simply lowered the allowed towing capacity on the manual transmission trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Actually, it's because my rear end is failing and I'm sure it's going to be much easier to find a rear end from an auto truck than a manual truck

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually, it's because my rear end is failing and I'm sure it's going to be much easier to find a rear end from an auto truck than a manual truck
Shoot, then I wasted a little yellow sticky. :cool: Just get a rear end with the same gearing that you currently have and all the holes should line up, so to speak.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
That's what I'm asking about. Are the gears for an automatic the same as the gears for a manual? I ask because years ago I converted a 69 Charger to a manual transmission. The rear was so high geared the car would go 60mph in first gear. I can't have that situation now or 4x4 won't function

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, the rear end between a manual and an auto are the same. There were multiple gear ratios available for each, so you're going to need to find one with the same ratio you currently have. Won't matter if it's from an auto or a manual.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What matters most is it a four wheel drive . If so the gears must be replaced with the same ratio . If two whell drive any will work . Your old charger did not have overdrive ,like your truck does now.that takes too high a gear pretty much out of the equation.

I have swapped a set of 456 gears into my 2014 and find they are one of the best things I could have done.