General Hitch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, figured id put it here since its a hitch question. I installed a Front mounted hitch on my Ram. I installed it to hold a bike carrier when I am hauling a camper. For the life of me, I cant think of another reason to use it.

My question: The one I bought, a Curt 31374 has these 2 loops welded on I'm assuming for straps or something. Id like to remove them, pretty sure they aren't part of the structural integrity of the hitch itself but wanted to get opinions anyways. My plan was to cut them off and obviously paint where the bare metal was.

This is simply for looks. The hitch is mounted nice and tight and is barely noticeable, but with the added giant loops, it stands out. Since I only use it for the bike rack, don't see the harm.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The hooks are for safety chains from the trailer. I doubt they have any structural significance to the hitch and being that you will never put that much weight on it I would think its fine to remove them.

Edit: Now that I see the hitch, maybe those are for tie downs?. Either way I see no reason why you could not remove them.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have something very similar on my truck. The hoops are tow hooks. Not structural at all. I installed my front hitch for my plow. During the non-winter months, I have a hitch mounted step, so I can access at least most of the hood. At 5'6", I can't clean off most of my hood without that step.... :doh2:

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hooks are for safety chains from the trailer. I doubt they have any structural significance to the hitch and being that you will never put that much weight on it I would think its fine to remove them.

Edit: Now that I see the hitch, maybe those are for tie downs?. Either way I see no reason why you could not remove them.

Yeah, I think they are designed for tie downs or maybe chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have something very similar on my truck. The hoops are tow hooks. Not structural at all. I installed my front hitch for my plow. During the non-winter months, I have a hitch mounted step, so I can access at least most of the hood. At 5'6", I can't clean off most of my hood without that step.... :doh2:

I just saw Curt made a step, which wouldn’t be a bad investment if you do a lot of your own eng mainentnace. Hell, I’m 6’3 and still can’t reach stuff.

I also saw they have an angled plate that acts as a “skid plate.”

Can I ask what plow you have?

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just saw Curt made a step, which wouldn’t be a bad investment if you do a lot of your own eng mainentnace. Hell, I’m 6’3 and still can’t reach stuff.

I also saw they have an angled plate that acts as a “skid plate.”

Can I ask what plow you have?

SnowSport plow. Non-hydraulic/non powered. Basically a large aluminum blade with a rubber bottom that is on the hitch mounted bracket that I just push around the driveway. Perfect for what I need.

The receiver is tucked fairly deep behind the front bumper, so not many stock steps will work. I bought a flip-down step, and welded it to a longer section of square tubing so the step is just past the front bumper.

View media item 26559View media item 26558View media item 26557

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SnowSport plow. Non-hydraulic/non powered. Basically a large aluminum blade with a rubber bottom that is on the hitch mounted bracket that I just push around the driveway. Perfect for what I need.

The receiver is tucked fairly deep behind the front bumper, so not many stock steps will work. I bought a flip-down step, and welded it to a longer section of square tubing so the step is just past the front bumper.

View media item 26559View media item 26558View media item 26557

that snowsport looks like exactly what I need. I got a long/wide/straight/flat driveway, that thing looks perfect

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a circular driveway, but it's not that huge. I put the plow on the night before snow is forecast, then in the morning I remote start the truck to get it warmed up, go in the truck and just play in the snow for a while. It doesn't scrape it as clean as a shovel or hydraulic plow, but good enough for me.

I don't have pics of my current truck with the plow, since I bought the truck after this past winter. I used it with my Dakota for about 16 years or so, and it's still in good shape.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Mark in my area, front hitches are not common. But, I had a Curt front hitch mounted on my 07 Mega Cab. Used it often to move/push utility and RV trailer on our ranch. I too did not like the look even though it was a convenient and effective tool. Cut off the loops. Repainted and installed a Curt rubber receiver cover. Satisfied me.

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

this is what im looking to do 5'5" here and need some help getting up top.. exactly how long is your extended step?