Generic ECU Tech... learning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billdarr-AZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 (5.2) MPI Auto with OD
Good Morning. I'm a old Dodge Guy. I'm Bill in AZ from PA.
My 1992 D150 318 MPI is haveing issues, mostly electrical.. not running noe I'm ready to install my 3rd ECU. I don't believe in replaced them so quickly but some electrical issue, maybe a short is causing failure. I wish I had an internal circuit as that I could analyze down to component. I'm suspecting transmission solindoins, TCC or O.D. ... kind of cold to be under there but I got to do it soon. Any comments or experiences in this area... well I ready to read!
Biil in AZ

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
Your not giving much info to go on. Are there any fault codes, I know this system doesn't really communicate lie the new systems. But do you have anything, or just complete componet failure.
Do you have Factory Service manuals at hand? Also Diagnostic manuals?. These truck relied on just a couple of ground locations. That where always in need of cleaning and a better connection.
And always check the basic first. You have good battery voltage where needed, not a test light on and glowing. But DVOM 12 volts, and ground at ground locations. Proforming voltage drop test will confirm this. (DVOM, digital volt ohm meter)

Ken