Genuine Mopar Trailer Hitch 55398274AD bolt torque specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My 2018 did not come with a factory hitch and when I asked the dealer to install one, they put on this bolt on unit that goes under the bumper ant attaches with 1 large bolt and 2 small bolts. Last year that unit came loose while towing. This year I dont want to worry about it coming loose and going under the bumper and check the bolts ever few hundered miles. I bought myself the factory hitch that is welded to the cross bar. I am looking for the torque specs of the mounting bolts that go to the frame, there are 4 bolts per side. Would anyone have a service manual that has the spec? The part number is 55398274AD incase you need to see the part.

Thanks
Joe

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like they may have put a class 3 hitch receiver on your truck. You'll need a class 4 to tow anything substantial. Class 3 is only good for 5000 lbs tow and 500 tongue. Make sure you install a class 4.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
The one they installed was
Hitch Receiver
Part Number: 82213205
Parts Description: 12,000-lb tow rating, 1,200-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment, otherwise 5,000-lb. tow rating, 500-lb tongue weight rating, i...

I used a WDH so I was within limits but I bought the hitch that come from the factory, thats why I need the torque info for the frame bolts as I need to remove my rear cross member that behind my spare tire an install the new one.

What I bought new:

Trailer Hitch
RAM 55398274AD

• Other Names:Rec Kit Trailer Tow
  • Description:120" WHEELBASE, FRAME & CROSSMEMBERS, W/Class 4, 140" WHEELBASE, FRAME & CROSSMEMBERS, W/Class 4, 120.5" WHEELBASE, FRAME & CROSSMEMBERS, W/Class 4, 140.5" & 149.4" WHEELBASE, FRAME & CROSSMEMBERS, W/Class 4
Since this is the cross memeber I need the torque specs.

Last edited:

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you Google search 'bolt torque values' you can find industrial standards for any type of bolt. Also the correct sequence for any bolt assembly pattern.
You just need the bolt sizes, thread pitch and the grade of bolt that can be found by the markings stamped on the bolt heads.
I've done this a few times when installing heavy machinery.
Usually real hardware suppliers will help you out as well if you take them to their sevice counter.
Don't forget to use loctite when you put it all together.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Checked the install sheet on my class IV, and it indicated torque for the 1/2" bolts at 110 ft lbs, and the M14 bolts at 126 ft lbs.

Hope that helps.