Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Geocaching and orienteering

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 392DevilDog, Dec 13, 2019.

1. 392DevilDog

392DevilDog Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Hi all. I didn't notice any discussion about these 2 past times that get you right out into the Great Outdoors.

Geocaching is a great way to get outside and enjoy Mother Nature all while challenging yourself to find the prize.

We geocache often. Our favorite state park has a pretty good array of geocache opportunity. We have hit quite a few, and keep some saved to hit while we try our luck with ones we already found.

Here is a look at some of the ones we have found and some we still need too.

Screenshot_20191213-125247_Geocaching.jpg

We are also into orienteering, and I feel every child and adult should learn the principles of navigation, and should have a working knowledge of a map and compass

https://events.dcnr.pa.gov/event/orienteering_101_8864#.XfPAF_ROk0M

Here is a class we plan to attend this weekend. Just to help add to the knowledge I have shown my son, and to make for a more controlled learn of it.

Anyone else into these activities?

They make for some solid family bonding time. And are a good exercise for body, mind and soul.

2. JayLeonard

JayLeonard Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    My wife is big into geocaching. She's been doing that for quite a few years now. She takes the grand kids often. They love it. She's even done some that are accessible only with a kayak and we've done some in a dinghy or small boat.
    I go with her about 1/2 the times.

I always say it takes you to places you didn't know existed.

392DevilDog likes this.
  3. 392DevilDog

392DevilDog Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    So, my son and I took an orienteering class this past weekend.

I enjoying looking at maps and planning trips and my son is always asking what I am doing. He always likes to watch the needle on the compass and he constantly wants to do something with it.

So, we know our local state park has an orienteering course, but we haven't got a chance to enjoy it.

When we saw the class pop up on the calendar, we decided to go.

His new favorite term is "put the red in the shed"

We got some classroom instruction. Got to learn about reading maps and how to use the compass. Review for us, but was fun to learn with a group.

We then did the course they had set up, and my son and I were the winners with the fastest time and a finish on first attempt.

Now we just need some cooperating weather and we will go do the beginner course.

TheSuburbanAngler likes this.
  4. 17Delmonico

17Delmonico Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've done a bit of local geocaching. I have an official geocache that I placed and keep track of.

JayLeonard and 392DevilDog like this.
  5. JayLeonard

JayLeonard Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I see you are from LI. Since we're boaters during the summer out of Mystic, CT we have done some in Three Mile Harbor, Coecles Harbor, and I think a few in Sag Harbor.

392DevilDog likes this.