Getting at the esim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2014 1500 with 92,000 miles. Just got the p0456 code. I’ll be getting a gas cap soon but in the meantime I’ve replaced the purge valve up front and want to replace the leak detection esim valve on the charcoal canister.

Is that something I can do myself without having to drop the tank?

Aces and 8s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar 3.6L
Personally if you're going to go part by part, I would have started with the gas cap, then cleared the code to see if it stayed away. Obviously the proper way to diag the vehicle would be to perform a smoke test and see where the leak is coming from. Also, if it was the ESIM switch that was faulty you'd see a EVAP system performance code rather than a small evap leak code. The fact the leak was detected indicate the ESIM is working. You're looking at a small leak coming from somewhere else in the system. That my $0.02.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Personally if you're going to go part by part, I would have started with the gas cap, then cleared the code to see if it stayed away. Obviously the proper way to diag the vehicle would be to perform a smoke test and see where the leak is coming from. Also, if it was the ESIM switch that was faulty you'd see a EVAP system performance code rather than a small evap leak code. The fact the leak was detected indicate the ESIM is working. You're looking at a small leak coming from somewhere else in the system. That my $0.02.

Thank you. I did replace the gas cap and the light did return so I’ll look into the smoke test before I mess with the esim.

Urch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You probably have this fixed by now but I had the same problem. Mechanic told me to get new gas cap and swim valve. Did gas cap first and no go. So he put on new esim and that's what it was. Then he told me that most of time it's the esim thing. Then why did he tell me to buy gas cap and esim. Cap was $20.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You probably have this fixed by now but I had the same problem. Mechanic told me to get new gas cap and swim valve. Did gas cap first and no go. So he put on new esim and that's what it was. Then he told me that most of time it's the esim thing. Then why did he tell me to buy gas cap and esim. Cap was $20.

Thanks. No I have not fixed it. Reset the codes and luckily it got me passed the Echeck before the check engine light returned.
Esim is the valve on the charcoal canister above the tank right?

Diaz14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Were you able to replace esim and do it yourself? Did it fix problem ? Having same issue with my 2014.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Were you able to replace esim and do it yourself? Did it fix problem ? Having same issue with my 2014.

No I replaced the gas cap and the emissions related valve up front under the hood. Eventually my check engine light went away and hasn't returned.