Getting Exhaust Manifold Bolt Out :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Driver side cylinder bank. (2) broken exhaust manifold bolts. 1 was at the rear of the engine by the downpipe. I was able to drill and extract that one out easily after purchasing my new right angle drill and some cobalt drill bits. The one that is scaring me now is the one at the very front right by the ac compressor. I started drilling this one by laying on the rad, using her makeup mirror and drilling the bolt. I thought it was good enough to extract ..... put the easy out in and it looked so cocked. So I aborted that for the moment. I found a new drilling position sitting up underneath the front of the truck ( no skin left on the forearms but i can see where im drilling ...... i think i was able to straighten out my drilling but im still worried that my drilling in the beginning might of ruined the head...... if I went through would it have leaked antifreeze right away when i pulled the drill out or would it need to run for wp to make pressure for it to leak...... as of right now there hasnt been a leak.... i was going to try and extract it again but i start work at 3 and had to get ready..... i wish i had access to a welder, but i dont..... i dont want to try left handed drill bits now either because id like to not to drill anymore lol...... i made the mistake of making the last payment on a truck with 54k miles on it and i feel like im ruining the engine like a idiot. Any suggestions to maybe help me a long will be appreciated thanks again

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You shouldn't have to drill very far into the bolt to get an extractor to bite. Take your time and don't get in a hurry.

I got very lucky with mine as only the rearmost upper bolts broke, and they broke right under the head of the stud, so I had a good stub on both sides.

I also removed them via the wheel wells.

Unfortunately, my truck is in the body shop at the moment due to a ********* with no license, no insurance, and the wrong tag on his car running into it, so I cannot see if that is better accessed from the side.

I wish you the best on your repairs. May they go smoothly. Hang in there.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
I'd maybe get the Nextdoor app and see if any of your neighbors can help you with the welding if needed.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't see how starting it up would harm anything.
If water shoots out the hole you drilled, shut it off. Your first problem is now secondary.

If it doesn't, you didn't hurt it.

I always made it a point to get one new power tool out of any "big job" work I did. I always stressed to my wife how much money I could save over the years.

Well, here we are 40 yrs later and I sure did save tens of thousands. Maybe this is your chance at a welder. Something not too expensive, like a Hobart 140. Sure would be nice to hear back from you tellin' us you got it fixed.
Best of luck with it

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I purchased a Titanium Flux 125 Inverted power source flux core TI-FLX 125 from harbor freight tools, $199.00 they had a sale on them, make sure you purchase a good welding ground clamp the one it comes with is ****, I helped a friend with his, he had 4 bolts total on the outside of the manifolds, where allot of the warpage occurred, we had a machine shop resurface them, he has a 2014 with 100k on it.

P/S like said here get yourself a 5/16 nut and weld it from the middle and fill it up with weld, and out she comes.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hi, I purchased a Titanium Flux 125 Inverted power source flux core TI-FLX 125 from harbor freight tools, $199.00 they had a sale on them, make sure you purchase a good welding ground clamp the one it comes with is ****, I helped a friend with his, he had 4 bolts total on the outside of the manifolds, where allot of the warpage occurred, we had a machine shop resurface them, he has a 2014 with 100k on it.

P/S like said here get yourself a 5/16 nut and weld it from the middle and fill it up with weld, and out she comes.

Hi, I purchased a Titanium Flux 125 Inverted power source flux core TI-FLX 125 from harbor freight tools, $199.00

weld it from the middle and fill it up

Ughhhhh, dat goes in da DeLorean right boss? LOL!

Hey Dodge 1500 4X4, this was in no way meant to mock your post. As soon as I read it, I thought of the Flux Capacitor in "Back to the future". This morning, I edited what I wrote last night because after reading it, I thought, oh jeez, I hope this guy didn't think I was making fun of him. I wasn't. Never occurred to me last night.

I'll be glad when we all go "Back to the PAST" when everybody knew exactly what you said and HOW you said it 'cause you had to SAY it to them, not type it, text it, or whatever all the other 3 letter ways that people use now to communicate. I miss the 60's. original.jpg

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ughhhhh, dat goes in da DeLorean right boss? LOL!

Hey Dodge 1500 4X4, this was in no way meant to mock your post. As soon as I read it, I thought of the Flux Capacitor in "Back to the future". This morning, I edited what I wrote last night because after reading it, I thought, oh jeez, I hope this guy didn't think I was making fun of him. I wasn't. Never occurred to me last night.

I'll be glad when we all go "Back to the PAST" when everybody knew exactly what you said and HOW you said it 'cause you had to SAY it to them, not type it, text it, or whatever all the other 3 letter ways that people use now to communicate. I miss the 60's. View attachment 244290

As well do I, funny I thought the same thing when I looked at it, Cant wait till all of this Deadheaded B/S is over, I'm a Man that says what I mean, I like your Directivness!!