Getting rid of stale "funk" in cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck gets used every day. Daily driver, fishing, hunting, dog rides, the works. Its developed just a stale funk in the cab over the years (4 years). Outside of just shampooing the crap out if the seats etc (id like to wait to do that til the summer) can anyone suggest a good odor eater for the fabric?

OceanRescue01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck gets used every day. Daily driver, fishing, hunting, dog rides, the works. Its developed just a stale funk in the cab over the years (4 years). Outside of just shampooing the crap out if the seats etc (id like to wait to do that til the summer) can anyone suggest a good odor eater for the fabric?

I’ve had a lot of success with Adam’s Enzymatic Cleaner. Gets rid of the cause of the odor and I love the smell as well. https://adamspolishes.com/products/adams-enzymatic-cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
There are a few options that you can try but ultimately you need to shampoo the carpets and seats.
Leave a small cup of vinegar in the truck every night (odor absorbing and evaporates pretty fast)
2: sprinkle coffee on your floor mats leave it overnight and vacuum it up. (Odor absorbing and leaves a coffee scent) we used to use this method when a mom mobile would come in with milk spilled in it.
Option 3: use an odor bomb where it will be powerful for the first few days (usually a jar or can of gel you leave under your seat)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just before i sold my 2009 Ram, one of the things that i did was spray some odor eliminator into the climate control vents, the CC was set to Recirculate

I was surprised how much smoking odor it took care of, the buyer knew that i smoked & he didn't

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You might want to look for water intrusion, chmsl,cab lights,satellite antenna,roof seams,cabin vents on back wall,rear slider drains , sunroof and or drains ,windshield,rear window. Any of these are known to sometimes leak which may have an effect on odors also, or maybe it’s what you already listed. Check the cabin vents they disintegrate, don’t forget cabin air filter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have some really funky smell or cigarette smell, use an ozone generator. I used one in my buddies van that had a strong cigarette smoker smell, ran it for half an hour and it pretty much eliminated the smell. Enerzen Ozone Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/

Another thing that works to keep smells away: https://www.freshwaveworks.com/products/odor-removing-packs-c6/odor removing packs-p126
Clip one to the underside of your seats.

I second the ozone. I used it on my Ram when I bought it used from a smoker and it completely killed the smell.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might want to look for water intrusion, chmsl,cab lights,satellite antenna,roof seams,cabin vents on back wall,rear slider drains , sunroof and or drains ,windshield,rear window. Any of these are known to sometimes leak which may have an effect on odors also, or maybe it’s what you already listed. Check the cabin vents they disintegrate, don’t forget cabin air filter.

My thoughts as well. My truck developed a stale funk awhile back. Not overpowering but definitely noticeable. Shortly thereafter I reached into the storage bin under the back seat to grab a ratchet strap and found the bin soaking wet. My leak was due to clogged drains for the rear slider. I pulled the rear seats and rear carpet out, let everything dry really well and put it back together. The odor was gone immediately.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have some really funky smell or cigarette smell, use an ozone generator. I used one in my buddies van that had a strong cigarette smoker smell, ran it for half an hour and it pretty much eliminated the smell. Enerzen Ozone Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/

Another thing that works to keep smells away: https://www.freshwaveworks.com/products/odor-removing-packs-c6/odor removing packs-p126
Clip one to the underside of your seats.
Ding, ding, ding! This is what car dealerships do.

Octane

Reaction score
I use Ozium odor neutralizer spray with the fresh country scent.I love it!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple of "Bounce Drier Sheets" for maintenance. Not good for initial deodorization.
Jay

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One other thing that i am trying

Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifier Bags
You can use them & then reactivate them by placing them where the sun can shine on them

You can buy them online, Walmart, Home depot, etc.
There are several brand names

The bags are about 5" x 5"
1_main_air_purifier_bag.jpg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One day we went to the beach with the dogs, but mother nature had other plans. Absolute downpour resulted in my wife, myself and both dogs getting drenched and taking refuge in the truck. The next day I went to the store and got one of those RV sized buckets of Damp-Rid moisture absorbent. Let it ride around a week or so and you'd never know the interior was used as a mud room that day.