Getting rid of the shark fin antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you have any idea how much higher the antenna is over the truck height?

I used to occasionally ping the antenna when I was driving through a multi-level parking garage.

I hate those places but it was the only option while working a temporary job.

I "think" it's only enough to barely clear the sharkfin antenna mounted at the rear driver side corner, but I'm not positive.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the one. I was just asking because every car that I've had in between trucks, did not have the AM/FM antenna, only the shark fin. Thanks much!!
They actually did. A lot of cars "hide" it in the top of the rear window, where it looks like it's just part of the defroster, but if you live somewhere where you actually can use the rear defroster, you would notice that that section doesn't defrost until the window itself heats up entirely.

I think there might be another "common" way to hide it, but I'm not sure.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any idea how much higher the antenna is over the truck height?

I used to occasionally ping the antenna when I was driving through a multi-level parking garage.

I hate those places but it was the only option while working a temporary job.

My thinking was if the antenna flexed, I was not only going to lose the shark fin, but probably ruin the top of the cab.

Then again, if I'm in a situation where that is a legit concern... I shouldn't be in the place at all, so I ditched the massive antenna for a slightly flexible like 8" antenna. I had a fully rigid like 4" antenna, but hated it, until it "disappeared" one day on the commute... (it was a "universal" mount, and the mounting method sucked.)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I "think" it's only enough to barely clear the sharkfin antenna mounted at the rear driver side corner, but I'm not positive.
My thinking was if the antenna flexed, I was not only going to lose the shark fin, but probably ruin the top of the cab.

Then again, if I'm in a situation where that is a legit concern... I shouldn't be in the place at all, so I ditched the massive antenna for a slightly flexible like 8" antenna. I had a fully rigid like 4" antenna, but hated it, until it "disappeared" one day on the commute... (it was a "universal" mount, and the mounting method sucked.)

I was working a contract job at a big shopping center in the west end of Ottawa and the parking garage was the only option.

I worked there for a few weeks, and found the path with maximum height through 4 stories but, occasionally would ping the antenna in one spot on one floor. I nearly unloaded the first time I hit that obstruction but like the claustrophobic instilling low ceiling, got used to flying through. :cool:

So, maybe I was very lucky that I didn't rip the sharkfin antenna off the rooftop. That would have sucked.

I always do my best to avoid any underground parking places because, let's face it, they just cater to small sub-compact cars. I nearly got trapped many years ago while exiting a huge parking complex with my Tundra.

I chose the wrong exit lane that suddenly had a reducing radius corner in the already ridiculously tiny exit lane. There was no chance that the DC wheelbase would ever clear that corner. LOL

Thankfully, nobody was behind me and I was able to back out a long way to get back to the point where I could choose another relatively straight exit lane. LOL :cool:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was working a contract job at a big shopping center in the west end of Ottawa and the parking garage was the only option.

I worked there for a few weeks, and found the path with maximum height through 4 stories but, occasionally would ping the antenna in one spot on one floor. I nearly unloaded the first time I hit that obstruction but like the claustrophobic instilling low ceiling, got used to flying through. :cool:

So, maybe I was very lucky that I didn't rip the sharkfin antenna off the rooftop. That would have sucked.

I always do my best to avoid any underground parking places because, let's face it, they just cater to small sub-compact cars. I nearly got trapped many years ago while exiting a huge parking complex with my Tundra.

I chose the wrong exit lane that suddenly had a reducing radius corner in the already ridiculously tiny exit lane. There was no chance that the DC wheelbase would ever clear that corner. LOL

Thankfully, nobody was behind me and I was able to back out a long way to get back to the point where I could choose another relatively straight exit lane. LOL :cool:

I snapped a picture level with my puck antenna to give anyone interested an idea. It does look like it's meant to clear the sharkfin just barely with a little more wiggle room for the puck.

Attachments

• 20240409_144539.jpg
    20240409_144539.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
easy peasy

rip off old shark fin
snip wiring
fill hole with bondo
slam 6-pack
grind smooth w/ 36 grit flap disk
paint w/ leftover house latex

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I popped the plastic end cap off the steps in the parking garage at the Mercedes stadium in Atlanta a couple years ago when I was there for Fabtech, as the damn entry BARELY fits the RAM, and I folded my mirrors to not knock them off, so I didn't see that I was too close to the barrier at the ticket gate.